Re: [nslu2-general] fail to format Sandisk 512Mb flash cruzer drive

  • Rod Whitby
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
      Flash the unslung firmware, then plug the flash drive into the disk1
      port, then format it using the web interface as directed in the
      README.

      -- Rod

      On 6/2/05, wim_dewilder <wim_dewilder@...> wrote:
      > Hi All
      >
      > I just got my NSLU2 and I have a Sandisk Cruzer Mini USB2.0 Flash drive
      > of 512 MB. I would like to load unslung and use this flash drive only.
      > The unslung intructions say I should format the drive using Linksys
      > firmware, however the drive shows up as 'Not installed' on the
      > disk page in the administration mode.
      > The flash disk does show up on the main page.
      > I've tried both disk 1 and disk 2 positions.
      >
      > Linksys support says that only 256 Mb flash drives are supported ...
      >
      > Should I unslung anyway and try to format from that firmware web page ?
      >
      > thanks
      > - Wim

    • wim_dewilder
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
        thanks, I just wanted to make really sure before I blow
        something up ;-)

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@r...>
        wrote:
        > Flash the unslung firmware, then plug the flash drive into the
        disk1
        > port, then format it using the web interface as directed in the
        > README.
        >
        > -- Rod
        >
        > On 6/2/05, wim_dewilder <wim_dewilder@y...> wrote:
        > > Hi All
        > >
        > > I just got my NSLU2 and I have a Sandisk Cruzer Mini USB2.0
        Flash drive
        > > of 512 MB. I would like to load unslung and use this flash drive
        only.
        > > The unslung intructions say I should format the drive using
        Linksys
        > > firmware, however the drive shows up as 'Not installed' on the
        > > disk page in the administration mode.
        > > The flash disk does show up on the main page.
        > > I've tried both disk 1 and disk 2 positions.
        > >
        > > Linksys support says that only 256 Mb flash drives are
        supported ...

        > > Should I unslung anyway and try to format from that firmware web
        page ?

        > > thanks
        > > - Wim

        Service.
      • Rod Whitby
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
          On 6/3/05, wim_dewilder <wim_dewilder@...> wrote:
          > thanks, I just wanted to make really sure before I blow
          > something up ;-)

          In general, it is not possible to damage hardware using the Unslung
          firmware or any of it's packages. The worst that can happen is that
          you will need to repartition and reformat disks, or reflash the
          firmware. We have never seen a case of hardware damage due to
          firmware or package usage.

          BUT, remember that the nslu2-linux development team takes no
          responsibility for your actions. This community is a meritocracy that
          takes personal responsibility as a basic fact of life, not something
          that lawyers argue about.

          -- Rod