fail to format Sandisk 512Mb flash cruzer drive

  • wim_dewilder
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hi All

      I just got my NSLU2 and I have a Sandisk Cruzer Mini USB2.0 Flash drive
      of 512 MB. I would like to load unslung and use this flash drive only.
      The unslung intructions say I should format the drive using Linksys
      firmware, however the drive shows up as 'Not installed' on the
      disk page in the administration mode.
      The flash disk does show up on the main page.
      I've tried both disk 1 and disk 2 positions.

      Linksys support says that only 256 Mb flash drives are supported ...

      Should I unslung anyway and try to format from that firmware web page ?

      thanks
      - Wim
    • Rod Whitby
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
        Flash the unslung firmware, then plug the flash drive into the disk1
        port, then format it using the web interface as directed in the
        README.

        -- Rod

        On 6/2/05, wim_dewilder <wim_dewilder@...> wrote:
        > Hi All
        >
        > I just got my NSLU2 and I have a Sandisk Cruzer Mini USB2.0 Flash drive
        > of 512 MB. I would like to load unslung and use this flash drive only.
        > The unslung intructions say I should format the drive using Linksys
        > firmware, however the drive shows up as 'Not installed' on the
        > disk page in the administration mode.
        > The flash disk does show up on the main page.
        > I've tried both disk 1 and disk 2 positions.
        >
        > Linksys support says that only 256 Mb flash drives are supported ...
        >
        > Should I unslung anyway and try to format from that firmware web page ?
        >
        > thanks
        > - Wim

      • wim_dewilder
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
          thanks, I just wanted to make really sure before I blow
          something up ;-)

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@r...>
          wrote:
          > Flash the unslung firmware, then plug the flash drive into the
          disk1
          > port, then format it using the web interface as directed in the
          > README.
          >
          > -- Rod
          >
          > On 6/2/05, wim_dewilder <wim_dewilder@y...> wrote:
          > > Hi All
          > >
          > > I just got my NSLU2 and I have a Sandisk Cruzer Mini USB2.0
          Flash drive
          > > of 512 MB. I would like to load unslung and use this flash drive
          only.
          > > The unslung intructions say I should format the drive using
          Linksys
          > > firmware, however the drive shows up as 'Not installed' on the
          > > disk page in the administration mode.
          > > The flash disk does show up on the main page.
          > > I've tried both disk 1 and disk 2 positions.
          > >
          > > Linksys support says that only 256 Mb flash drives are
          supported ...

          > > Should I unslung anyway and try to format from that firmware web
          page ?

          > > thanks
          > > - Wim

          Service.
        • Rod Whitby
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
            On 6/3/05, wim_dewilder <wim_dewilder@...> wrote:
            > thanks, I just wanted to make really sure before I blow
            > something up ;-)

            In general, it is not possible to damage hardware using the Unslung
            firmware or any of it's packages. The worst that can happen is that
            you will need to repartition and reformat disks, or reflash the
            firmware. We have never seen a case of hardware damage due to
            firmware or package usage.

            BUT, remember that the nslu2-linux development team takes no
            responsibility for your actions. This community is a meritocracy that
            takes personal responsibility as a basic fact of life, not something
            that lawyers argue about.

            -- Rod