Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Difficulty Exiting Maint. Mode

  • David Ondzes
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2005
      On 6/1/05, Homer Stanford <hcstanford@...> wrote:

      > On May 31, 2005, at 5:00 PM, Gerald L. Clark wrote:
      >
      > > Homer Stanford wrote:
      > > > I have the same problem, can't get out of maintance mode and only
      > > can
      > > > boot from NSLU2 not attached disk.
      > >

      > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/GetOutOfMaintMode
      > >
      > Tried that and ended up with a NSLU2 that would not boot if hard disk
      > was attached and on. Would boot without hard disk. Could then plug
      > in hard disk and mount shares. Web page still says I am in
      > maintance mode.

      I am having the same problem but I am not sure how to "Exit
      maintenance mode through web interface as you normally would".

      # df
      Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
      rootfs 6528 5312 1216 81% /
      /dev/mtdblock4 6528 5312 1216 81% /
      # cd /mnt
      # ls
      backup repair sda1 tmpmnt
      # ls repair
      #
    • David Ondzes
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 2, 2005
        > > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/GetOutOfMaintMode
        > > >
        > > Tried that and ended up with a NSLU2 that would not boot if hard disk
        > > was attached and on. Would boot without hard disk. Could then plug
        > > in hard disk and mount shares. Web page still says I am in
        > > maintance mode.
        >
        > I am having the same problem but I am not sure how to "Exit
        > maintenance mode through web interface as you normally would".
        >
        > # df
        > Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
        > rootfs 6528 5312 1216 81% /
        > /dev/mtdblock4 6528 5312 1216 81% /
        > # cd /mnt
        > # ls
        > backup repair sda1 tmpmnt
        > # ls repair
        > #

        I forgot to mention that there was no mention of maintenance mode on
        nslu2 web interface and I haven't installed any pacakges...haven't
        been able to boot with my flash disk attached.I
      • David Ondzes
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 3, 2005
          Still looking for some help on how to solve this problem. I was all
          set reflash 4.20 last night when I noticed the "Exit Maintenance Mode"
          link on the upgrade page. I had no idea where it was until last night.
          Note - to author of "GetOutOfMaintMode" howto, you might want to
          mention where the link is.

          Ok, so I now know where the link is and I tried following the howto.
          The problem was I already had a /mnt/repair directory and when I
          clicked on "Exit Maintenance Mode" I got a message about rebooting in
          Maintenance Mode. When the slug came up I still had the 81% full df
          output. So I telnet back in, made /mnt/repair (it wasn't there this
          time) and clicked on "Exit Maintenance Mode" again. The message now
          said something about rebooting in normal mode. So after slug came up.
          I shutdown and tried booting with my flash disk and it never finished
          booting.

          Where do I go from here ? Do I reflash ? Format my usb drive and unsling again ?
        • Gerald L. Clark
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 3, 2005
            David Ondzes wrote:
            > Still looking for some help on how to solve this problem. I was all
            > set reflash 4.20 last night when I noticed the "Exit Maintenance Mode"
            > link on the upgrade page. I had no idea where it was until last night.
            > Note - to author of "GetOutOfMaintMode" howto, you might want to
            > mention where the link is.
            I have; many times. Perhaps you should read the archives and the wiki.

            > Ok, so I now know where the link is and I tried following the howto.
            > The problem was I already had a /mnt/repair directory and when I
            > clicked on "Exit Maintenance Mode" I got a message about rebooting in
            > Maintenance Mode. When the slug came up I still had the 81% full df
            > output. So I telnet back in, made /mnt/repair (it wasn't there this
            > time) and clicked on "Exit Maintenance Mode" again. The message now
            > said something about rebooting in normal mode. So after slug came up.
            > I shutdown and tried booting with my flash disk and it never finished
            > booting.
            >
            > Where do I go from here ? Do I reflash ? Format my usb drive and unsling again ?
            1. Boot without disks.
            2. Delete .sda1root.
            3. Plug in drive.
            4. Wait for drive to be mounted read-write. If you do not wait,
            unsling will fail, but .sda1root will be created.
            This leaves the slug unbootable with the drive plugged in.
            5. When the drive is mounted read-write, unsling.
            6. Reboot.

            --
            nslu-linux - glc