RE: [nslu2-general] NSLUE, accented characters and Xbox Media Center

  • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2005
      > I have read somewhere that I would need to upgrade to
      > Samba 3... is this the only way?

      AFAIK, yes.

      What is worse than XBMC just mapping the characters incorrectly is that
      files with such characters will not play (at least not on my XBMC versions)
      and you cannot browse directories of that kind either.

      best,

      -- Inge
    • roberto_silva_pt
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2005
        Just to correct an error... where XMB is refered, it should be SMB...

        Sorry for any inconvinience...

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "roberto_silva_pt"
        <roberto.gsilva@g...> wrote:
        > My shared directories and files have portuguese accented
        characters
        > (çãéíõú...).
        >
        > I can see those files perfectly in windows XP but the accented
        > characters do not appear correctly in xbox.
        >
        > If I share a directory in my PC with the same file names, they
        appear
        > correctly in XP and in Xbox.
        >
        > I tried using original XMB of NSLU2 and I also installed
        ccxstream,
        > with no sucess (using both methods, the files appear incorrectly
        in
        > xbox).
        >
        > I have read somewhere that I would need to upgrade to Samba 3...
        is
        > this the only way?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Roberto
      • Lennart Börjeson
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 2, 2005
          You can use the original samba 2 if you just tell it to use another character
          set on the NSLU2. Now, choosing which character set can be tricky...

          In my case, both my media server (twonkyvision) and the linux clients I use
          prefer ISO8859-1. I can then use the diversion script below to modify the
          samba configuration before it starts.

          If you prefer UTF-8 on the NSLU2 you should switch to Samba 3. Samba 2 doesn't
          support UTF-8.

          One other thing: If you implement the script below (or switch to Samba 3), all
          existing files on your NSLU2 shares which have accented (or other non-ascii)
          letters in their names will look mangled on Windows, as the translation will
          have changed but the actual filenames on the NSLU2 have not. The simplest
          solution to this is to first transfer all your files from the NSLU2 to
          Windows, second to implement the diversion script (don't forget to restart
          the NSLU2), and third to transfer your files back.

          /Lennart

          My diversion script: (Thanks to LarsP of the twonkyvision forum for the hint)

          ---------- /share/hdd/conf/unslung/rc.samba ---------------------
          #!/bin/sh
          #
          # /share/hdd/conf/unslung/rc.samba
          #
          # Local modification before Samba Starts
          #
          if [ -! -d /share/hdd/conf/local ]
          then
          mkdir /share/hdd/conf/local
          fi

          if ! grep "character set = ISO8859-1" /etc/samba/smb.conf 2>&1 > /dev/null
          then
          sed s/"client code page"/"character set = ISO8859-1\nclient code page"/
          < /etc/samba/smb.conf > /share/hdd/conf/local/smb.conf.tmp
          cat /share/hdd/conf/local/smb.conf.tmp > /etc/samba/smb.conf
          fi

          return 1

          --
          !++
          ! Lennart Börjeson
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 8, 2005
            Thanks Lennart. I will give this a try. I will let you know the
            outcame.

            RS

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Börjeson

          • roberto_silva_pt
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 20, 2005
              Lennart

              Well, better later than never... I was trying today to implement
              this but I got stuck in one detail: the script is to be placed in
              the /share/hdd/conf/unslung directory but it doesn't exist (I am
              using 4.20). Should I create it?

              Thanks

              RS

              <roberto.gsilva@g...> wrote:
> [...]
              > > fi
              > >
              > > return 1
              > ---------------
              > >

              > > torsdagen den 2 juni 2005 00.34 skrev roberto_silva_pt:
              > > > My shared directories and files have portuguese accented
              > characters
              > > > (çãéíõú...).
              > > >
              > > > I can see those files perfectly in windows XP but the accented
              > > > characters do not appear correctly in xbox.
              > > >
              > > > If I share a directory in my PC with the same file names, they
              > appear
              > > > correctly in XP and in Xbox.
              > > >
              > > > I tried using original XMB of NSLU2 and I also installed
              > ccxstream,
              > > > with no sucess (using both methods, the files appear
              incorrectly
              > in
              > > > xbox).
              > > >
              > > > I have read somewhere that I would need to upgrade to Samba

            • tonymy01
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 20, 2005
                No, not quite, creating /unslung would be better (which is mounted on either /share/hdd/conf or /share/hdd/data depending on which unslinging method was used).
                This doesn't exist by default, but if you are writing diversion scripts etc will have to be created (well, this is certainly my experience with unslung 3.x).
                --
                Regards
                Tony

                <roberto.gsilva@g...> wrote:

> [...]
                >
                > > fi
                >

                > > return 1

                > ---------------
                >

                > > torsdagen den 2 juni 2005 00.34 skrev roberto_silva_pt:
                >
                > > > My shared directories and files have portuguese accented
                >
                > characters
                >
                > > > (çãéíõú...).
                >

                > > > I can see those files perfectly in windows XP but the accented
                >
                > > > characters do not appear correctly in xbox.
                >

                > > > If I share a directory in my PC with the same file names, they
                >
                > appear
                >
                > > > correctly in XP and in Xbox.
                >

                > > > I tried using original XMB of NSLU2 and I also installed
                >
                > ccxstream,
                >
                > > > with no sucess (using both methods, the files appear

                incorrectly

                > in
                >
                > > > xbox).
                >

                > > > I have read somewhere that I would need to upgrade to Samba

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Lennart Börjeson
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 21, 2005
                  Hmm... I don't know, I'm using 3.17. The placement of this directory has
                  changed before. I've tried to find this in the wiki, but as you know, it is
                  not that easy to navigate. That said, and after reading
                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/DiversionScripts
                  I believe that you indeed should create it. I don't think you can damage
                  anything by trying.

                  (If you can read german, there is a very good site at www.unslung.de which is
                  far more friendly for the beginner, but unfortunately they have not updated
                  it for 4.20 yet.)

                  /Lennart

                  --
                  !++
                  ! Lennart Börjeson
                  ! Partner, Developer
                  ! Cinnober Financial Technology AB
                  ! Industrigatan 2A
                  ! S-112 46 STOCKHOLM
                  ! Sverige/Sweden/Schweden/Suède
                  ! mailto:Lennart.Borjeson@...
                  ! phone:+46-8-50304717
                  ! gsm:+46-70-3394717
                  ! fax:+46-8-50304701
                  ! http://www.cinnober.com
                  !--
                • Robert Hammond
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 21, 2005
                    In message <d97jc6+b5us@...>, roberto_silva_pt
                    <roberto.gsilva@...> writes
                    >Lennart
                    >
                    >Well, better later than never... I was trying today to implement
                    >this but I got stuck in one detail: the script is to be placed in
                    >the /share/hdd/conf/unslung directory but it doesn't exist (I am
                    >using 4.20). Should I create it?

                    If you are running 4.20 from the disk rootfs then you can just create
                    the unslung folder at the root. Alternatively go to folder /mnt and
                    look for a sub folder such as sda1 (could be sdb1 or another combination
                    depending upon where your rootfs is located). Change to this folder and
                    then create the unslung folder.
                    --
                    Robert Hammond
                    PGP:0x154144DA
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 21, 2005
                      Tony, Lennart, Robert,

                      Well, I went on and used the /unslung directory that already existed
                      (and that was empty). I created the file rc.samba and reseted the
                      NLSU2.

                      Now something happened that either samba is not running anymore or
                      does not give anyone access to the shared disks.

                      Looking at the /etc/samba/smb.conf file it is now a link pointing
                      to /share/hdd/conf/share/smb.conf that is an empty file. And
                      the /etc/samba/smbpasswd is also a link pointing
                      to /share/hdd/conf/share/smbpasswd that does not exist...

                      Using the web administration pages I see the users I created are
                      there with the right passwords, but I can't see the NSLU2 in my
                      windows private network. So I am assuming the samba is not running...

                      How can I put things back as they were? I did not backup the files
                      in /etc/samba before trying the script...

                      Thanks for your support

                      RS

                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond
                      <rob.hammond@n...> wrote:
                      > In message <d97jc6+b5us@e...>, roberto_silva_pt
                      > <roberto.gsilva@g...> writes
                      > >Lennart
                      > >
                      > >Well, better later than never... I was trying today to implement
                      > >this but I got stuck in one detail: the script is to be placed in
                      > >the /share/hdd/conf/unslung directory but it doesn't exist (I am
                      > >using 4.20). Should I create it?
                      > >
                      > If you are running 4.20 from the disk rootfs then you can just
                      create
                      > the unslung folder at the root. Alternatively go to folder /mnt
                      and
                      > look for a sub folder such as sda1 (could be sdb1 or another
                      combination
                      > depending upon where your rootfs is located). Change to this
                      folder and
                      > then create the unslung folder.
                      > --
                      > Robert Hammond
                      > PGP:0x154144DA
                    • roberto_silva_pt
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 21, 2005
                        Sorry, everybody, I got in panic...

                        I just deleted the rc.samba file, reseted, and everything is now
                        correct.

                        But it remains to ask what went wrong with the script... Is it valid
                        in 4.2?

                        If I install Samba 3, if I unistall it, the Samba 2 will work ok? Or
                        should I backup some directories/files first?

                        Thanks

                        RS

                        <roberto.gsilva@g...> wrote:
                        > Tony, Lennart, Robert,
                        >
                        > Well, I went on and used the /unslung directory that already
                        existed
                        > (and that was empty). I created the file rc.samba and reseted the
                        > NLSU2.
                        >
                        > Now something happened that either samba is not running anymore or
                        > does not give anyone access to the shared disks.
                        >
                        > Looking at the /etc/samba/smb.conf file it is now a link pointing
                        > to /share/hdd/conf/share/smb.conf that is an empty file. And
                        > the /etc/samba/smbpasswd is also a link pointing
                        > to /share/hdd/conf/share/smbpasswd that does not exist...
                        >
                        > Using the web administration pages I see the users I created are
                        > there with the right passwords, but I can't see the NSLU2 in my
                        > windows private network. So I am assuming the samba is not
                        running...

                        > How can I put things back as they were? I did not backup the files
                        > in /etc/samba before trying the script...
                        >
                        > Thanks for your support
                        >
                        > RS
                        >

                        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond
                        > <rob.hammond@n...> wrote:
                        > > In message <d97jc6+b5us@e...>, roberto_silva_pt
                        > > <roberto.gsilva@g...> writes
                        > > >Lennart
                        > > >
                        > > >Well, better later than never... I was trying today to implement
                        > > >this but I got stuck in one detail: the script is to be placed
                        in
                        > > >the /share/hdd/conf/unslung directory but it doesn't exist (I am
                        > > >using 4.20). Should I create it?
                        > > >
                        > > If you are running 4.20 from the disk rootfs then you can just
                        > create
                        > > the unslung folder at the root. Alternatively go to
                        folder /mnt
                        > and
                        > > look for a sub folder such as sda1 (could be sdb1 or another
                        > combination
                        > > depending upon where your rootfs is located). Change to this
                        > folder and
                        > > then create the unslung folder.
                        > > --
                        > > Robert Hammond
                        > > PGP:0x154144DA
                      • roberto_silva_pt
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 21, 2005
                          I understand now what happened. I had 2 errors on the script:

                          - first, on the if line the -! should really be only !
                          - the sed line and the next are really only one...

                          Now the script is working.

                          But I still can't see the correct accented charaters in the xbox.
                          After the change, Windows got accented characters changed... I
                          changed one of the files in windows to the right accented char, but
                          neither the previous char code nor the new one is working on xbox.

                          And on NSLU2, using the command line, the new files created with
                          Windows are no longer presented with the right char code... This is
                          a different question: how can I see in the command line the same
                          character code as Samba?

                          So, 2 questions:
                          - what is the correct code to use with Samba to see with the Xbox?
                          - how can I have the same char code at Samba and at the command
                          line?

                          Thanks

                          RS

                          <roberto.gsilva@g...> wrote:
                          > Sorry, everybody, I got in panic...
                          >
                          > I just deleted the rc.samba file, reseted, and everything is now
                          > correct.
                          >
                          > But it remains to ask what went wrong with the script... Is it
                          valid
                          > in 4.2?
                          >
                          > If I install Samba 3, if I unistall it, the Samba 2 will work ok?
                          Or
                          > should I backup some directories/files first?
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          >
                          > RS
                          >
                          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "roberto_silva_pt"
                          > <roberto.gsilva@g...> wrote:
                          > > Tony, Lennart, Robert,
                          > >
                          > > Well, I went on and used the /unslung directory that already
                          > existed
                          > > (and that was empty). I created the file rc.samba and reseted
                          the
                          > > NLSU2.
                          > >
                          > > Now something happened that either samba is not running anymore
                          or
                          > > does not give anyone access to the shared disks.
                          > >
                          > > Looking at the /etc/samba/smb.conf file it is now a link
                          pointing
                          > > to /share/hdd/conf/share/smb.conf that is an empty file. And
                          > > the /etc/samba/smbpasswd is also a link pointing
                          > > to /share/hdd/conf/share/smbpasswd that does not exist...
                          > >
                          > > Using the web administration pages I see the users I created are
                          > > there with the right passwords, but I can't see the NSLU2 in my
                          > > windows private network. So I am assuming the samba is not
                          > running...
                          > >
                          > > How can I put things back as they were? I did not backup the
                          files
                          > > in /etc/samba before trying the script...
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for your support
                          > >
                          > > RS
                          > >

                          > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond
                          > > <rob.hammond@n...> wrote:
                          > > > In message <d97jc6+b5us@e...>, roberto_silva_pt
                          > > > <roberto.gsilva@g...> writes

                          > in
                          > > > >
                          > > > If you are running 4.20 from the disk rootfs then you can just
                          > > create
                          > > > the unslung folder at the root. Alternatively go to
                          > folder /mnt
                          > > and
                          > > > look for a sub folder such as sda1 (could be sdb1 or another
                          > > combination
                          > > > depending upon where your rootfs is located). Change to this
                          > > folder and
                          > > > then create the unslung folder.
                          > > > --
                          > > > Robert Hammond
                          > > > PGP:0x154144DA
                        • Lennart Börjeson
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 22, 2005
                            onsdagen den 22 juni 2005 01.20 skrev roberto_silva_pt:
                            > I understand now what happened. I had 2 errors on the script:
                            >
                            > - first, on the if line the -! should really be only !
                            > - the sed line and the next are really only one...
                            >
                            > Now the script is working.
                            >
                            > But I still can't see the correct accented charaters in the xbox.
                            > After the change, Windows got accented characters changed... I
                            > changed one of the files in windows to the right accented char, but
                            > neither the previous char code nor the new one is working on xbox.
                            >
                            > And on NSLU2, using the command line, the new files created with
                            > Windows are no longer presented with the right char code... This is
                            > a different question: how can I see in the command line the same
                            > character code as Samba?
                            >
                            > So, 2 questions:
                            > - what is the correct code to use with Samba to see with the Xbox?
                            > - how can I have the same char code at Samba and at the command
                            > line?

                            First of all I must say that I don't know what code page you should use for
                            your configuration, but now when you have the script in place you can
                            experiment.

                            It is entrely possible that there is no simple solution. Different clients
                            (i.e. mounting the shares on Windows or Xbox and command line client) have
                            different demands. I mount my NSLU2 shares on Windows only, and use a command
                            line client from Linux only. My Linux system is configured to use ISO-8859-1,
                            so that is my code page of preference, which also seems to work well with
                            twonkyvision, too.

                            It is very strange that the Xbox doesn't see correct characters. I'd expect it
                            to mount the Samba shares in exactly the same way as Windows, but perhaps it
                            doesn't? If you export shares from your windows machine to the Xbox, are they
                            also not shown correctly?

                            You must figure out the individual code page requirements of your clients
                            (Windows, Xbox, command line (from Windows, I presume?)).

                            If you switch to Samba 3, all these options are redundant (remember to remove
                            the diversion script!) as it uses a Unicode encoding which supposedly should
                            be able to adapt to all clients which mount the shares, but I believe it will
                            still leave your command line in the dark. :-(

                            /Lennart

                            > Thanks
                            >
                            > RS
                            >
                            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "roberto_silva_pt"
                            >
                            > <roberto.gsilva@g...> wrote:
                            > > Sorry, everybody, I got in panic...
                            > >
                            > > I just deleted the rc.samba file, reseted, and everything is now
                            > > correct.
                            > >
                            > > But it remains to ask what went wrong with the script... Is it
                            >
                            > valid
                            >
                            > > in 4.2?
                            > >
                            > > If I install Samba 3, if I unistall it, the Samba 2 will work ok?
                            >
                            > Or
                            >
                            > > should I backup some directories/files first?
                            > >
                            > > Thanks
                            > >
                            > > RS
                            > >
                            > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "roberto_silva_pt"
                            > >
                            > > <roberto.gsilva@g...> wrote:
                            > > > Tony, Lennart, Robert,
                            > > >
                            > > > Well, I went on and used the /unslung directory that already
                            > >
                            > > existed
                            > >
                            > > > (and that was empty). I created the file rc.samba and reseted
                            >
                            > the
                            >
                            > > > NLSU2.
                            > > >
                            > > > Now something happened that either samba is not running anymore
                            >
                            > or
                            >
                            > > > does not give anyone access to the shared disks.
                            > > >
                            > > > Looking at the /etc/samba/smb.conf file it is now a link
                            >
                            > pointing
                            >
                            > > > to /share/hdd/conf/share/smb.conf that is an empty file. And
                            > > > the /etc/samba/smbpasswd is also a link pointing
                            > > > to /share/hdd/conf/share/smbpasswd that does not exist...
                            > > >
                            > > > Using the web administration pages I see the users I created are
                            > > > there with the right passwords, but I can't see the NSLU2 in my
                            > > > windows private network. So I am assuming the samba is not
                            > >
                            > > running...
                            > >
                            > > > How can I put things back as they were? I did not backup the
                            >
                            > files
                            >
                            > > > in /etc/samba before trying the script...
                            > > >
                            > > > Thanks for your support
                            > > >
                            > > > RS
                            > > >

                            > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond

                            > implement

                            > placed
                            >
                            > > in

                            > am

                            > > > create

                            > > folder /mnt
                            > >
                            > > > and

                            > > > combination

                            > > > folder and

                            !++
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 22, 2005
                              > It is very strange that the Xbox doesn't see correct
                              > characters. I'd expect it
                              > to mount the Samba shares in exactly the same way as
                              > Windows, but perhaps it
                              > doesn't?

                              I think you assume that the CIFS client on XBOX is a Microsoft product - it
                              is not. It is a kludge inside Xbox Media Center - a Open Source app that
                              implements a "user space" SMB client.

                              I tried to make XBMC work with Samba 2, but I never got it 100% to work.

                              best,

                              -- Inge
                            • roberto_silva_pt
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 22, 2005
                                <Lennart.Borjeson@c...> wrote:
                                > If you switch to Samba 3, all these options are redundant
                                (remember to remove
                                > the diversion script!) as it uses a Unicode encoding which
                                supposedly should
                                > be able to adapt to all clients which mount the shares, but I
                                believe it will
                                > still leave your command line in the dark. :-(

                                Well, I did switch to Samba 3 as I was getting deeper and deeper
                                into a black hole... and everything works right now, at least
                                between Windows and Xbox. The accented characters (those created
                                after Samba 3 has been installed) are correctly recognized by each
                                other.

                                The only draw back, as you have antecipated, is the command line,
                                that does not recognize correctly the files created with the
                                accented characters... but this is not a very big issue, as I will
                                not read, change, execute or delete from within NSLU2.

                                Thanks, everybody, for your support.

                                RS

                                PS - My next step is understanding if I should move from 4.20 to
                                5.5. I still haven't found a reason to do it.
                              • roberto_silva_pt
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 22, 2005
                                  By the way, Lennart, the command line I was refering too was linux
                                  itself.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 23, 2005
                                    torsdagen den 23 juni 2005 01.40 skrev roberto_silva_pt:
                                    > By the way, Lennart, the command line I was refering too was linux
                                    > itself.

                                    OK, but where is the command window *displayed*?

                                    (Since you're already comfortable with your setup, the following might be a
                                    little redundant, but let me digress anyway...)

                                    There are several possibilities for getting a "command line" on the NSLU2. I
                                    am not aware of anyone (but there might ofcourse still exist some, perhaps
                                    you?) who has actually hooked up a physical keyboard and screen directly to
                                    the NSLU2, and unless you do, you have to connect to it from some other
                                    (client) box, either by using a "command line client" like telnet or ssh, or
                                    with a "remote window" application like xterm (running on the NSLU2 and
                                    displaying on your client box).

                                    This means there's a long chain of components which might influence the
                                    rendering of filenames on the NSLU2:

                                    On the NSLU2:
                                    The file system
                                    The shell (I've found ash and bash behaves differently here)
                                    The command used (ls, etc)
                                    The communication program (telnetd, sshd, xterm)

                                    On the client:
                                    The communication program (telnet, ssh, X11)
                                    The local shell and console window (bash, X11, CMD, Windows, cygwin...)

                                    In short: Ample opportunities for experimentation!

                                    --
                                    !++