Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Difficulty Exiting Maint. Mode

  • Homer Stanford
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2005
      On May 31, 2005, at 5:00 PM, Gerald L. Clark wrote:

      > Homer Stanford wrote:
      > > I have the same problem, can't get out of maintance mode and only
      > can
      > > boot from NSLU2 not attached disk.
      >

      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/GetOutOfMaintMode

      Tried that and ended up with a NSLU2 that would not boot if hard disk
      was attached and on. Would boot without hard disk. Could then plug
      in hard disk and mount shares. Web page still says I am in
      maintance mode.
    • Gerald L. Clark
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2005
        Homer Stanford wrote:
        > On May 31, 2005, at 5:00 PM, Gerald L. Clark wrote:
        >

        >>Homer Stanford wrote:
        >>
        >>>I have the same problem, can't get out of maintance mode and only
        >>
        >>can
        >>
        >>>boot from NSLU2 not attached disk.
        >>

        >>http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/GetOutOfMaintMode
        >>

        > Tried that and ended up with a NSLU2 that would not boot if hard disk
        > was attached and on. Would boot without hard disk. Could then plug
        > in hard disk and mount shares. Web page still says I am in
        > maintance mode.
        >

        > If you boot without disks, and the web says you are in maintenance mode,
        then you are in maintenance mode.
        Use the instructions to get out of maintenance mode or nothing will work
        correctly.
        If you have filled your jffs2 you will have to reflash.

        --
        nslu-linux - glc
      • David Ondzes
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 1, 2005
          On 6/1/05, Homer Stanford <hcstanford@...> wrote:

          > On May 31, 2005, at 5:00 PM, Gerald L. Clark wrote:
          >
          > > Homer Stanford wrote:
          > > > I have the same problem, can't get out of maintance mode and only
          > > can
          > > > boot from NSLU2 not attached disk.
          > >

          > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/GetOutOfMaintMode
          > >
          > Tried that and ended up with a NSLU2 that would not boot if hard disk
          > was attached and on. Would boot without hard disk. Could then plug
          > in hard disk and mount shares. Web page still says I am in
          > maintance mode.

          I am having the same problem but I am not sure how to "Exit
          maintenance mode through web interface as you normally would".

          # df
          Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
          rootfs 6528 5312 1216 81% /
          /dev/mtdblock4 6528 5312 1216 81% /
          # cd /mnt
          # ls
          backup repair sda1 tmpmnt
          # ls repair
          #
        • David Ondzes
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 2, 2005
            > > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/GetOutOfMaintMode
            > > >
            > > Tried that and ended up with a NSLU2 that would not boot if hard disk
            > > was attached and on. Would boot without hard disk. Could then plug
            > > in hard disk and mount shares. Web page still says I am in
            > > maintance mode.
            >
            > I am having the same problem but I am not sure how to "Exit
            > maintenance mode through web interface as you normally would".
            >
            > # df
            > Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
            > rootfs 6528 5312 1216 81% /
            > /dev/mtdblock4 6528 5312 1216 81% /
            > # cd /mnt
            > # ls
            > backup repair sda1 tmpmnt
            > # ls repair
            > #

            I forgot to mention that there was no mention of maintenance mode on
            nslu2 web interface and I haven't installed any pacakges...haven't
            been able to boot with my flash disk attached.I
          • David Ondzes
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 3, 2005
              Still looking for some help on how to solve this problem. I was all
              set reflash 4.20 last night when I noticed the "Exit Maintenance Mode"
              link on the upgrade page. I had no idea where it was until last night.
              Note - to author of "GetOutOfMaintMode" howto, you might want to
              mention where the link is.

              Ok, so I now know where the link is and I tried following the howto.
              The problem was I already had a /mnt/repair directory and when I
              clicked on "Exit Maintenance Mode" I got a message about rebooting in
              Maintenance Mode. When the slug came up I still had the 81% full df
              output. So I telnet back in, made /mnt/repair (it wasn't there this
              time) and clicked on "Exit Maintenance Mode" again. The message now
              said something about rebooting in normal mode. So after slug came up.
              I shutdown and tried booting with my flash disk and it never finished
              booting.

              Where do I go from here ? Do I reflash ? Format my usb drive and unsling again ?
            • Gerald L. Clark
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 3, 2005
                David Ondzes wrote:
                > Still looking for some help on how to solve this problem. I was all
                > set reflash 4.20 last night when I noticed the "Exit Maintenance Mode"
                > link on the upgrade page. I had no idea where it was until last night.
                > Note - to author of "GetOutOfMaintMode" howto, you might want to
                > mention where the link is.
                I have; many times. Perhaps you should read the archives and the wiki.

                > Ok, so I now know where the link is and I tried following the howto.
                > The problem was I already had a /mnt/repair directory and when I
                > clicked on "Exit Maintenance Mode" I got a message about rebooting in
                > Maintenance Mode. When the slug came up I still had the 81% full df
                > output. So I telnet back in, made /mnt/repair (it wasn't there this
                > time) and clicked on "Exit Maintenance Mode" again. The message now
                > said something about rebooting in normal mode. So after slug came up.
                > I shutdown and tried booting with my flash disk and it never finished
                > booting.
                >
                > Where do I go from here ? Do I reflash ? Format my usb drive and unsling again ?
                1. Boot without disks.
                2. Delete .sda1root.
                3. Plug in drive.
                4. Wait for drive to be mounted read-write. If you do not wait,
                unsling will fail, but .sda1root will be created.
                This leaves the slug unbootable with the drive plugged in.
                5. When the drive is mounted read-write, unsling.
                6. Reboot.

                --
                nslu-linux - glc