Difficulty Exiting Maint. Mode

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 16 , May 29, 2005
      I have been reading all the notes and the wiki pages for the past 2
      hours but I do not see any help RE: exiting Maintanence Mode. I have
      upgraded to 4.20 and I just can't seem to get out. The only mention
      that I see is that someone else is had the same problem when trying to
      install packages. That is how I found out but no matter how many times
      I click on Exit Mainanence Mode the web browser just sits and does
      nothing. After awile if I click on reload it asks me for username and
      password and takes me back to the page showing I am in the Maint. Mode.

      Any help or directions to where the information can be found would be
      appreciated!
      Rich
    • jrstueve47
      Message 2 of 16 , May 29, 2005
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <k4gps@b...> wrote:
        > I have been reading all the notes and the wiki pages for the past 2
        > hours but I do not see any help RE: exiting Maintanence Mode. I have
        > upgraded to 4.20 and I just can't seem to get out. The only mention
        > that I see is that someone else is had the same problem when trying to
        > install packages. That is how I found out but no matter how many times
        > I click on Exit Mainanence Mode the web browser just sits and does
        > nothing. After awile if I click on reload it asks me for username and
        > password and takes me back to the page showing I am in the Maint. Mode.
        >
        > Any help or directions to where the information can be found would be
        > appreciated!
        > Rich

        I think that running Unslung with an attached hard-disk at boot the
        system will always be *in* Maintenance Mode.

        The reason being is that Maintenance Mode was required for updates
        with earlier versions (3.18 and some earlier) because the SLUG was
        actually running with root in the jffs partition (part of the internal
        flash memory). With 4.20 the root is actually running on the hard
        disk, and so the disk can be flashed without going into Maintenance
        Mode. (earlier versions need to go into MM to copy the root to a
        ramdisk and allow the flash to be rewritten using the web-interface).

        I'd certainly like confirmation of this from the more experienced
        developers.
      • Robert Hammond
        Message 3 of 16 , May 30, 2005
          In message <d7drek+fpef@...>, jrstueve47 <j.stueve@...>
          writes
          >--- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <k4gps@b...> wrote:
          >> I have been reading all the notes and the wiki pages for the past 2
          >> hours but I do not see any help RE: exiting Maintanence Mode. I have
          >> upgraded to 4.20 and I just can't seem to get out. The only mention
          >> that I see is that someone else is had the same problem when trying to
          >> install packages. That is how I found out but no matter how many times
          >> I click on Exit Mainanence Mode the web browser just sits and does
          >> nothing. After awile if I click on reload it asks me for username and
          >> password and takes me back to the page showing I am in the Maint. Mode.
          >>
          >> Any help or directions to where the information can be found would be
          >> appreciated!
          >> Rich
          >
          >I think that running Unslung with an attached hard-disk at boot the
          >system will always be *in* Maintenance Mode.

          Although the web page seems to indicate Maintenance mode, I think that
          this is misleading. Suggest that the best test is to use the df
          command and check for the existence of the root FS running in a ram
          disk.

          >The reason being is that Maintenance Mode was required for updates
          >with earlier versions (3.18 and some earlier) because the SLUG was
          >actually running with root in the jffs partition (part of the internal
          >flash memory). With 4.20 the root is actually running on the hard
          >disk, and so the disk can be flashed without going into Maintenance
          >Mode. (earlier versions need to go into MM to copy the root to a
          >ramdisk and allow the flash to be rewritten using the web-interface).

          What seems to have started all of these discussions is that some times
          for reasons that are not quite clear, 4.20 seems to refuse to boot to
          the hard disk image although it will quite happily boot to the jffs if
          the disk is un-pluged. Users then went searching for reasons and came
          across the Maintenance page miss match. No doubt there will be 4.21
          released some time shortly which may address this problem.

          I just spent a few days away this weekend so powered down my NSLU2 and
          disk, it refused to boot up last night to the hard disk (for no
          apparent reason). I re-booted with disk removed and telneted in followed
          by disk hot plug. Powered down using the NSLU2 front button followed by
          power up using the same button. All now seems to work just fine - all
          very strange.

          My only observation is that I think that the boot process goes amiss
          some time quite early in the boot process, seems to leave the
          ready/status light in amber mode.

          --
          Robert Hammond
          PGP:0x154144DA
          Message 4 of 16 , May 30, 2005
            > I think that running Unslung with an attached hard-disk at boot the
            > system will always be *in* Maintenance Mode.

            That is correct. It is not actually in maintenance mode, but the
            logic which shows the web page which users associate with maintenance
            mode is triggered by both the "true" maintenance mode (where the jffs2
            root filesystem is copied to a ramdisk on boot) and external disk mode
            (where the external disk root filesystem is used instead of the jffs2
            root filesystem). We are considering adding another web page to be
            able to distinguish between internal flash mode, maintenance mode, and
            external disk mode.

            > The reason being is that Maintenance Mode was required for updates
            > with earlier versions (3.18 and some earlier) because the SLUG was
            > actually running with root in the jffs partition (part of the internal
            > flash memory).

            That is correct.

            > With 4.20 the root is actually running on the hard
            > disk, and so the disk can be flashed without going into Maintenance
            > Mode.

            Actually, the recommended upgrade method is still to reboot with all
            disks unplugged, switch into maintenance mode, reflash, and then
            follow the rest of the README (including re-running /sbin/unsling to
            tell the firmware to load the root filesystem from the external disk
            again).

            The reason for this is because if you reflash with a disk attached,
            then the Linksys software which controls the web upgrade procedure
            will get confused by the amount of RAM used for the disk buffers, or
            for packages running from the disk, and this can cause the upgrade
            process to be aborted by the Linksys software.

            -- Rod
          • Inge B. Arnesen
            Message 5 of 16 , May 30, 2005
              >> With 4.20 the root is actually running on the hard
              >> disk, and so the disk can be flashed without going into Maintenance
              >> Mode.
              >
              > Actually, the recommended upgrade method is still [snip]
              >
              > The reason for this is because if you reflash with a disk attached,
              > then the Linksys software which controls the web upgrade procedure
              > will get confused by the amount of RAM used for the disk buffers, or
              > for packages running from the disk, and this can cause the upgrade
              > process to be aborted by the Linksys software.

              Furthermore, at least on my 4.19 alpha, the flash rootfs _is_ mounted
              read-write under /initrd even when unslung to a HD. This means that one
              cannot assume that the flash is not being in use even when having rootfs
              located on disk.

              best,

              -- Inge
            • Rod Whitby
              Message 6 of 16 , May 30, 2005
                On 5/30/05, Inge B. Arnesen <i.b.arnesen@...> wrote:
                > Furthermore, at least on my 4.19 alpha, the flash rootfs _is_ mounted
                > read-write under /initrd even when unslung to a HD. This means that one
                > cannot assume that the flash is not being in use even when having rootfs
                > located on disk.

                Very true - it's the same on 4.20-beta. Yet another reason for
                following the recommended upgrade procedure.

                -- Rod
              • jrstueve47
                Message 7 of 16 , May 31, 2005
                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond
                  <rob.hammond@n...> wrote:

                  > I just spent a few days away this weekend so powered down my NSLU2 and
                  > disk, it refused to boot up last night to the hard disk (for no
                  > apparent reason). I re-booted with disk removed and telneted in
                  followed
                  > by disk hot plug. Powered down using the NSLU2 front button followed by
                  > power up using the same button. All now seems to work just fine - all
                  > very strange.
                  >
                  > My only observation is that I think that the boot process goes amiss
                  > some time quite early in the boot process, seems to leave the
                  > ready/status light in amber mode.

                  Can you look and see if a .ramdisk file got created anywhere on your
                  directory tree.

                  I think this might be similar to what I ran into the first time I
                  installed unslung 4.20 and then chased the *Maintenance Mode* rabbit.
                  I think by trying to exit maintenance mode with a disk attached, a
                  .ramdisk file was created (alongside the .sda1boot file that is
                  created with unsling) and then trying to boot with both files present
                  locks the disk into 'root in ramdisk mode'. When I tried to delete
                  the .ramdisk file, the Slug wouldn't boot fully with the disk
                  attached. Rebooted sans disk, and reflashed via RedBoot method got it
                  working again.
                • Robert Hammond
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 31, 2005
                    In message <d7i6gf+a375@...>, jrstueve47 <j.stueve@...>
                    writes
                    >--- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond
                    ><rob.hammond@n...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> I just spent a few days away this weekend so powered down my NSLU2 and
                    >> disk, it refused to boot up last night to the hard disk (for no
                    >> apparent reason). I re-booted with disk removed and telneted in
                    >followed
                    >> by disk hot plug. Powered down using the NSLU2 front button followed by
                    >> power up using the same button. All now seems to work just fine - all
                    >> very strange.
                    >>
                    >> My only observation is that I think that the boot process goes amiss
                    >> some time quite early in the boot process, seems to leave the
                    >> ready/status light in amber mode.
                    >
                    >Can you look and see if a .ramdisk file got created anywhere on your
                    >directory tree.
                    >
                    >I think this might be similar to what I ran into the first time I
                    >installed unslung 4.20 and then chased the *Maintenance Mode* rabbit.
                    > I think by trying to exit maintenance mode with a disk attached, a
                    >.ramdisk file was created (alongside the .sda1boot file that is
                    >created with unsling) and then trying to boot with both files present
                    >locks the disk into 'root in ramdisk mode'. When I tried to delete
                    >the .ramdisk file, the Slug wouldn't boot fully with the disk
                    >attached. Rebooted sans disk, and reflashed via RedBoot method got it
                    >working again.

                    Using
                    find / -name '.ramdisk'
                    reveals no .ramdisk files.

                    --
                    Robert Hammond
                    PGP:0x154144DA
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 31, 2005
                      I have the same problem, can't get out of maintance mode and only can
                      boot from NSLU2 not attached disk.

                      # df
                      Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
                      rootfs 11895 10082 1813 85% /
                      /dev/ram0 6528 5312 1216 81% /initrd
                      /dev/ram0 11895 10082 1813 85% /
                      /dev/sda1 153660192 3958108 148140968 3% /share/hdd/data
                      /dev/sda2 116661 4337 111120 4% /share/hdd/conf

                      # find / -name '.ramdisk'
                      /share/hdd/data/.ramdisk
                      /initrd/.ramdisk
                      /.ramdisk
                      #
                    • Gerald L. Clark
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 31, 2005

                        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/GetOutOfMaintMode

                        --
                        nslu-linux - glc
                      • Homer Stanford
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 1, 2005
                          On May 31, 2005, at 5:00 PM, Gerald L. Clark wrote:

                          > Homer Stanford wrote:
                          > > I have the same problem, can't get out of maintance mode and only
                          > can
                          > > boot from NSLU2 not attached disk.
                          >

                          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/GetOutOfMaintMode

                          Tried that and ended up with a NSLU2 that would not boot if hard disk
                          was attached and on. Would boot without hard disk. Could then plug
                          in hard disk and mount shares. Web page still says I am in
                          maintance mode.
                        • Gerald L. Clark
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 1, 2005
                            Homer Stanford wrote:
                            > On May 31, 2005, at 5:00 PM, Gerald L. Clark wrote:
                            >

                            >>Homer Stanford wrote:
                            >>
                            >>>I have the same problem, can't get out of maintance mode and only
                            >>
                            >>can
                            >>
                            >>>boot from NSLU2 not attached disk.
                            >>

                            >>http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/GetOutOfMaintMode
                            >>

                            > Tried that and ended up with a NSLU2 that would not boot if hard disk
                            > was attached and on. Would boot without hard disk. Could then plug
                            > in hard disk and mount shares. Web page still says I am in
                            > maintance mode.
                            >

                            > If you boot without disks, and the web says you are in maintenance mode,
                            then you are in maintenance mode.
                            Use the instructions to get out of maintenance mode or nothing will work
                            correctly.
                            If you have filled your jffs2 you will have to reflash.

                            --
                            nslu-linux - glc
                          • David Ondzes
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 1, 2005
                              On 6/1/05, Homer Stanford <hcstanford@...> wrote:

                              > On May 31, 2005, at 5:00 PM, Gerald L. Clark wrote:
                              >
                              > > Homer Stanford wrote:
                              > > > I have the same problem, can't get out of maintance mode and only
                              > > can
                              > > > boot from NSLU2 not attached disk.
                              > >

                              > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/GetOutOfMaintMode
                              > >
                              > Tried that and ended up with a NSLU2 that would not boot if hard disk
                              > was attached and on. Would boot without hard disk. Could then plug
                              > in hard disk and mount shares. Web page still says I am in
                              > maintance mode.

                              I am having the same problem but I am not sure how to "Exit
                              maintenance mode through web interface as you normally would".

                              # df
                              Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
                              rootfs 6528 5312 1216 81% /
                              /dev/mtdblock4 6528 5312 1216 81% /
                              # cd /mnt
                              # ls
                              backup repair sda1 tmpmnt
                              # ls repair
                              #
                            • David Ondzes
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 2, 2005
                                > > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/GetOutOfMaintMode
                                > > >
                                > > Tried that and ended up with a NSLU2 that would not boot if hard disk
                                > > was attached and on. Would boot without hard disk. Could then plug
                                > > in hard disk and mount shares. Web page still says I am in
                                > > maintance mode.
                                >
                                > I am having the same problem but I am not sure how to "Exit
                                > maintenance mode through web interface as you normally would".
                                >
                                > # df
                                > Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
                                > rootfs 6528 5312 1216 81% /
                                > /dev/mtdblock4 6528 5312 1216 81% /
                                > # cd /mnt
                                > # ls
                                > backup repair sda1 tmpmnt
                                > # ls repair
                                > #

                                I forgot to mention that there was no mention of maintenance mode on
                                nslu2 web interface and I haven't installed any pacakges...haven't
                                been able to boot with my flash disk attached.I
                              • David Ondzes
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 3, 2005
                                  Still looking for some help on how to solve this problem. I was all
                                  set reflash 4.20 last night when I noticed the "Exit Maintenance Mode"
                                  link on the upgrade page. I had no idea where it was until last night.
                                  Note - to author of "GetOutOfMaintMode" howto, you might want to
                                  mention where the link is.

                                  Ok, so I now know where the link is and I tried following the howto.
                                  The problem was I already had a /mnt/repair directory and when I
                                  clicked on "Exit Maintenance Mode" I got a message about rebooting in
                                  Maintenance Mode. When the slug came up I still had the 81% full df
                                  output. So I telnet back in, made /mnt/repair (it wasn't there this
                                  time) and clicked on "Exit Maintenance Mode" again. The message now
                                  said something about rebooting in normal mode. So after slug came up.
                                  I shutdown and tried booting with my flash disk and it never finished
                                  booting.

                                  Where do I go from here ? Do I reflash ? Format my usb drive and unsling again ?
                                • Gerald L. Clark
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 3, 2005
                                    David Ondzes wrote:
                                    > Still looking for some help on how to solve this problem. I was all
                                    > set reflash 4.20 last night when I noticed the "Exit Maintenance Mode"
                                    > link on the upgrade page. I had no idea where it was until last night.
                                    > Note - to author of "GetOutOfMaintMode" howto, you might want to
                                    > mention where the link is.
                                    I have; many times. Perhaps you should read the archives and the wiki.

                                    > Ok, so I now know where the link is and I tried following the howto.
                                    > The problem was I already had a /mnt/repair directory and when I
                                    > clicked on "Exit Maintenance Mode" I got a message about rebooting in
                                    > Maintenance Mode. When the slug came up I still had the 81% full df
                                    > output. So I telnet back in, made /mnt/repair (it wasn't there this
                                    > time) and clicked on "Exit Maintenance Mode" again. The message now
                                    > said something about rebooting in normal mode. So after slug came up.
                                    > I shutdown and tried booting with my flash disk and it never finished
                                    > booting.
                                    >
                                    > Where do I go from here ? Do I reflash ? Format my usb drive and unsling again ?
                                    1. Boot without disks.
                                    2. Delete .sda1root.
                                    3. Plug in drive.
                                    4. Wait for drive to be mounted read-write. If you do not wait,
                                    unsling will fail, but .sda1root will be created.
                                    This leaves the slug unbootable with the drive plugged in.
                                    5. When the drive is mounted read-write, unsling.
                                    6. Reboot.

                                    --
                                    nslu-linux - glc