Stuck with 4.20

  • Tobias
    Message 1 of 5 , May 24, 2005
      Hi everbody - last night I upgraded my stock NSLU2 (running R25) to
      4.20 beta. I downloaded the binary from
      http://www.unslung.org/downloads.php and followed the instructions in
      the readme exactly. After unsling-ing my 150GB Western Digital (in a
      Buslink enclosure) via "/sbin/unslling disk1" and rebooting the NSLU2
      would not come up completely. I can see that the "Ready" light never
      turns solid green and there's no "i'm up and running" beep. I can see
      hard-disc access during the boot-sequence.
      I ran tcpdump on a direct connection and don't see any network traffic
      from the NSLU2.

      Disconnecting the hard disc makes the system boot fine.

      So I tried to downgrade to R25 or R29, however during the web-firmware
      update step I receive an error saying "Error occured during upgrade
      process. Please retry.". Rebooting and retrying brings up the same
      error again.

      So, I'm stuck with a non-working 4.20 beta (when the disc is attached)
      and a non-upgradeable system when no disk is attached.

      Does anybody have any ideas before I get the sledgehammer?

      Thanks
      Tobias
    • Gerald L. Clark
      Message 2 of 5 , May 24, 2005
        Tobias wrote:
        > Hi everbody - last night I upgraded my stock NSLU2 (running R25) to
        > 4.20 beta. I downloaded the binary from
        > http://www.unslung.org/downloads.php and followed the instructions in
        > the readme exactly. After unsling-ing my 150GB Western Digital (in a
        > Buslink enclosure) via "/sbin/unslling disk1" and rebooting the NSLU2
        > would not come up completely. I can see that the "Ready" light never
        > turns solid green and there's no "i'm up and running" beep. I can see
        > hard-disc access during the boot-sequence.
        > I ran tcpdump on a direct connection and don't see any network traffic
        > from the NSLU2.
        >
        > Disconnecting the hard disc makes the system boot fine.
        >
        > So I tried to downgrade to R25 or R29, however during the web-firmware
        > update step I receive an error saying "Error occured during upgrade
        > process. Please retry.". Rebooting and retrying brings up the same
        > error again.
        >
        > So, I'm stuck with a non-working 4.20 beta (when the disc is attached)
        > and a non-upgradeable system when no disk is attached.
        >
        > Does anybody have any ideas before I get the sledgehammer?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Tobias

        Flash with redboot or your windows disk.
        Read the wiki.
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/HomePage

        --
        nslu-linux - glc
      • Robert Hammond
        Message 3 of 5 , May 25, 2005
          In message <d6vjma+en3o@...>, Tobias <thoellri@...> writes
          >Hi everbody - last night I upgraded my stock NSLU2 (running R25) to
          >4.20 beta. I downloaded the binary from
          >http://www.unslung.org/downloads.php and followed the instructions in
          >the readme exactly. After unsling-ing my 150GB Western Digital (in a
          >Buslink enclosure) via "/sbin/unslling disk1" and rebooting the NSLU2
          >would not come up completely. I can see that the "Ready" light never
          >turns solid green and there's no "i'm up and running" beep. I can see
          >hard-disc access during the boot-sequence.
          >I ran tcpdump on a direct connection and don't see any network traffic
          >from the NSLU2.
          >
          >Disconnecting the hard disc makes the system boot fine.
          >
          >So I tried to downgrade to R25 or R29, however during the web-firmware
          >update step I receive an error saying "Error occured during upgrade
          >process. Please retry.". Rebooting and retrying brings up the same
          >error again.
          >
          >So, I'm stuck with a non-working 4.20 beta (when the disc is attached)
          >and a non-upgradeable system when no disk is attached.
          >
          >Does anybody have any ideas before I get the sledgehammer?

          I have managed to successfully re-flash 4.20 from the web interface but
          before flashing have checked out a couple of things. My method was:-

          Boot up the slug with disk un-attached and telnet in with root and
          uNSLUng.
          Change to root directory, cd /
          Check for two hidden files using, ls -a

          First check for a file similar to, .sda1root
          The actual name of this file does differ depending if you have unslung
          to disk of flash etc. If it is present then delete the file using,
          rm .sda1root

          Next check for the hidden file, .ramdisk
          This file needs to be present so if missing needs to be created. I
          used,
          touch /.ramdisk

          Exit the console screen and re-boot the slug. When re-booted telnet
          back in and check that the root filing system is running from the ram
          disk using the df command. You should see that all of the mappings are
          mapped to the ram disk. Log out of the console screen. I think that
          it is now safe to re-flash, I normally use the web interface for this.

          --
          Robert Hammond
          PGP:0x154144DA
          Message 4 of 5 , May 25, 2005
            In message <7bZlu+Bw8KlCFw8S@...>, Robert Hammond
            <rob.hammond@...> writes
            >In message <d6vjma+en3o@...>, Tobias <thoellri@...> writes
            >>Hi everbody - last night I upgraded my stock NSLU2 (running R25) to
            >>4.20 beta. I downloaded the binary from
            >>http://www.unslung.org/downloads.php and followed the instructions in
            >>the readme exactly. After unsling-ing my 150GB Western Digital (in a
            >>Buslink enclosure) via "/sbin/unslling disk1" and rebooting the NSLU2
            >>would not come up completely. I can see that the "Ready" light never
            >>turns solid green and there's no "i'm up and running" beep. I can see
            >>hard-disc access during the boot-sequence.
            >>I ran tcpdump on a direct connection and don't see any network traffic
            >>from the NSLU2.
            >>
            >>Disconnecting the hard disc makes the system boot fine.
            >>
            >>So I tried to downgrade to R25 or R29, however during the web-firmware
            >>update step I receive an error saying "Error occured during upgrade
            >>process. Please retry.". Rebooting and retrying brings up the same
            >>error again.
            >>
            >>So, I'm stuck with a non-working 4.20 beta (when the disc is attached)
            >>and a non-upgradeable system when no disk is attached.
            >>
            >>Does anybody have any ideas before I get the sledgehammer?
            >>
            >I have managed to successfully re-flash 4.20 from the web interface but
            >before flashing have checked out a couple of things. My method was:-
            >
            >Boot up the slug with disk un-attached and telnet in with root and
            >uNSLUng.
            >Change to root directory, cd /
            >Check for two hidden files using, ls -a
            >
            >First check for a file similar to, .sda1root
            >The actual name of this file does differ depending if you have unslung
            >to disk of flash etc. If it is present then delete the file using,
            >rm .sda1root
            >
            >Next check for the hidden file, .ramdisk
            >This file needs to be present so if missing needs to be created. I
            >used,
            > touch /.ramdisk
            >
            >Exit the console screen and re-boot the slug. When re-booted telnet
            >back in and check that the root filing system is running from the ram
            >disk using the df command. You should see that all of the mappings are
            >mapped to the ram disk. Log out of the console screen. I think that
            >it is now safe to re-flash, I normally use the web interface for this.

            Whoops - and forgot to mention that you should follow the instructions
            that came with the firmware during re-flashing, it's easy to miss an
            important step here and also note that you will need to re-unsling after
            flashing any firmware.

            --
            Robert Hammond
            PGP:0x154144DA
            Message 5 of 5 , May 25, 2005
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond
              <rob.hammond@n...> wrote:
              > >I have managed to successfully re-flash 4.20 from the web interface but
              > >before flashing have checked out a couple of things. My method was:-
              > >
              > >Boot up the slug with disk un-attached and telnet in with root and
              > >uNSLUng.
              > >Change to root directory, cd /
              > >Check for two hidden files using, ls -a
              > >
              > >First check for a file similar to, .sda1root
              > >The actual name of this file does differ depending if you have unslung
              > >to disk of flash etc. If it is present then delete the file using,
              > >rm .sda1root
              > >
              > >Next check for the hidden file, .ramdisk
              > >This file needs to be present so if missing needs to be created. I
              > >used,
              > > touch /.ramdisk
              > >
              > >Exit the console screen and re-boot the slug. When re-booted telnet
              > >back in and check that the root filing system is running from the ram
              > >disk using the df command. You should see that all of the
              mappings are
              > >mapped to the ram disk. Log out of the console screen. I think that
              > >it is now safe to re-flash, I normally use the web interface for this.
              > >
              > Whoops - and forgot to mention that you should follow the instructions
              > that came with the firmware during re-flashing, it's easy to miss an
              > important step here and also note that you will need to re-unsling
              after
              > flashing any firmware.

              Thanks for the suggestion, Rob. It's too late :-) I've managed to
              redboot-telnet into the unit, issue an "upgrade" and have SerComm
              reflash the unit. Looks like I'm back in business.

              Tobias