Re: transfer speed

  • John Schettino
    Message 1 of 5 , May 22, 2005
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "tedriedel" <ted@s...> wrote:
      > I'm new to the NSLU2, having set mine up yesterday, and find myself
      > wondering what is a normal speed for backing up files to this device.
      >
      > At this time I am backing up my wifes e-mail directory (mozilla) which
      > is 4.6 gigs. I don't think she deletes anything. This process took
      > right at 23 minutes overa 100mb network. PC to Linksys BEFSX41 router
      > then to NSLU2.
      >
      > That seems slow to me. Is this a standard rate? or is the network
      > dropping to 10/half somewhere?

      It's not the ethernet, it's samba and/or the USB drive interface. I
      upgraded to samba 3.0x on the Unlung beta 4.2 firmware, and that will
      support 4.8MB/sec writes to the NSLU - a bit faster it seems then the
      version linksys bundles. Watching the NSLU while this is happening,
      CPU runs at pretty much 100%, so it (the nslu) is mostly likely cpu
      limited.

      When I copy between my main linix box and other PCs, I am network
      limited (8-9MB/sec 100mbit) unless I run over a gigabit ethernet
      (30+GB/sec, near the max read or write speed of the drives) So the
      NSLU is only half as slow as the raw 100mbit ethernet-based shares.

      You can probably set your drive to spin down after a bit of inactivity
      (depends on the drive itself, but it's a low-level power saving mode)

      Clearly, this is not a barn burner, but it works fine for unattended
      backup, and for general network store duties.