Re: slow transfers?

  • David
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 6, 2004
      <snip>
      > You recently posted this message to the nslu2-general group, with a
      short
      > reply ontop of a long unedited previous message.

      <snip>

      Whoops...I did mean to make that an off-group message (realized just
      after I hit the send button), but please use this as a general
      reminder to edit your messages.

      Thanks,
      David Troesch
      Group Moderator
    • Mark Pytlik
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 6, 2004
        Well, theoretically I'd never have to do a transfer this large again, but
        the thought of 400k/s in ANY configuration is enough to make me rethink the
        setup...

        _____

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 10, 2004
          In my experience, it is important to make sure that a NIC is set to
          the same setting as the port on the switch. So if you have an
          unmanaged switch where all the ports are set to autodetect, you also
          need to set the NIC to autodetect. I have a 3Com NIC with a broadcom
          chip running in a RedHat Linux box, and I had to change the link speed
          and duplex to autodetect, because it was running VERY slowly when I
          had it set to 100/full.

          Is there a way to change the link speed and duplex of the NIC in the
          NSLU2??
        • Mark Pytlik
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 10, 2004
            Is a switch the same as a router? Does anyone know if I can change the link
            speed of an individual port on a D-Link 614+ router?

            on 9/10/2004 11:07 AM, jtabar at jtabar@... wrote:

            In my experience, it is important to make sure that a NIC is set to
            the same setting as the port on the switch. So if you have an
            unmanaged switch where all the ports are set to autodetect, you also
            need to set the NIC to autodetect. I have a 3Com NIC with a broadcom
            chip running in a RedHat Linux box, and I had to change the link speed
            and duplex to autodetect, because it was running VERY slowly when I
            had it set to 100/full.

            Is there a way to change the link speed and duplex of the NIC in the
            NSLU2??

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            To visit your group on the web, go to:

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Stuart Stegall
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 10, 2004
              Some consumer "routers" have hubs or switches built in to them. Switches and routers are a rather complicated situtation.
              Basically what most people call routers are devices that made decisions based on Layer 3 networking information and what most people
              call switches are devices that make decisions based on Layer 2 networking. Most consumer routers come with 4 ports that may be
              arranged as a switch or a hub (which is simply a layer 2 repeater that simple interconnects the ports). They typically do not let
              you specifiy any settings. In reality there is NO reason that turning off autodetection would make any difference unless your card
              is not autodetecting the correct setting. There are a few broken cards around that don't like autodetect mode and a few others that
              will report to the kernel that they have negotiated 100baseTX when in reality they have not done so. You can usually tell based on
              the lights on the switch/hub. Another thing to note is that the NSLU2 has issues with full duplex with many hubs and switches. It
              works with my Linksys 16 port switch buy not my Linksys router's builtin 4port switch. I would think that if all of the parts were
              in good working order you should be able to get 10MB/s. I am able to get 11.56MB/s. At some point there will be Gigabit USB2
              adapters and we'll be able to get faster connectivity ... We can probably at that point get close to hard drive speeds.