transfer speed

  • tedriedel
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2005
      I'm new to the NSLU2, having set mine up yesterday, and find myself
      wondering what is a normal speed for backing up files to this device.

      At this time I am backing up my wifes e-mail directory (mozilla) which
      is 4.6 gigs. I don't think she deletes anything. This process took
      right at 23 minutes overa 100mb network. PC to Linksys BEFSX41 router
      then to NSLU2.

      That seems slow to me. Is this a standard rate? or is the network
      dropping to 10/half somewhere?

      Thanks

      Ted

      Molon Labe
    • jncharli - tele2
      Message 2 of 5 , May 15, 2005
        Hello,

        The average speed you experienced is :

        - Volume transferred in Mbyte (the unit used in network is the byte
        and not the Byte) = 4,6 (Go) * 1 000 (Mo) * 8 (byte) = 36 800 Mbytes

        - Time in seconds = 23 (min) * 60 (s) = 1 380 s

        The average rate you have is 36 800 / 1 380 = 26,7 Mb/s

        According to what I can see with my own NSLU2, it is a good rate (I often
        have average rate at 22 Mb/s).

        Like you, I really don’t know why the performances are so poor.

        I use a Netgear FWG114P router, that I benchmarked up to 80 Mb/s with laptop
        to desktop direct file transfer.

        So, the router is out of cause. It seems that the NSLU2 embeds a poor
        network interface card.

        Maybe the support from Linksys could be of any help (LOL).

        Greetings

        _____

        I'm new to the NSLU2, having set mine up yesterday, and find myself
        wondering what is a normal speed for backing up files to this device.

        At this time I am backing up my wifes e-mail directory (mozilla) which
        is 4.6 gigs. I don't think she deletes anything. This process took
        right at 23 minutes overa 100mb network. PC to Linksys BEFSX41 router
        then to NSLU2.

        That seems slow to me. Is this a standard rate? or is the network
        dropping to 10/half somewhere?

        Thanks

        Ted

        Molon Labe

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ted
        Message 3 of 5 , May 15, 2005
          I doubt it.

          I "Chatted" with Linksys tech support today and the word I got was that
          what I was seeing was "Normal". I just may try and take this little
          jewel back to the store come Monday. I can set up a batch file on my
          wifes PC and back it up to my e-smith box a lot faster and better then
          that. That and not have to have the HD spun up all the time.

          -=-=-
          Ted

          Samual Adams: "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the
          people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping
          their own arms."
          Convention of the Commonwealth of Mass.

          jncharli - tele2 wrote:

          > Hello,
          >

          > The average speed you experienced is :
          >
          > - Volume transferred in Mbyte (the unit used in network is
          > the byte
          > and not the Byte) = 4,6 (Go) * 1 000 (Mo) * 8 (byte) = 36 800 Mbytes
          >
          > - Time in seconds = 23 (min) * 60 (s) = 1 380 s
          >

          > The average rate you have is 36 800 / 1 380 = 26,7 Mb/s
          >

          > According to what I can see with my own NSLU2, it is a good rate (I often
          > have average rate at 22 Mb/s).
          >
          > Like you, I really don't know why the performances are so poor.
          >

          > I use a Netgear FWG114P router, that I benchmarked up to 80 Mb/s with
          > laptop
          > to desktop direct file transfer.
          >
          > So, the router is out of cause. It seems that the NSLU2 embeds a poor
          > network interface card.
          >

          > Maybe the support from Linksys could be of any help (LOL).
          >

          > Greetings
          >

          > _____

        • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
          Message 4 of 5 , May 15, 2005
            > According to what I can see with my own NSLU2, it is a
            > good rate (I often have average rate at 22 Mb/s).
            >
            > Like you, I really don’t know why the performances are so
            > poor.
            > [snip]
            >

            > I use a Netgear FWG114P router, that I benchmarked up to
            > 80 Mb/s with laptop to desktop direct file transfer.
            >
            > So, the router is out of cause. It seems that the NSLU2
            > embeds a poor network interface card.

            Take a look at the wiki - the info.performance page. The NSLU2 Ethernet
            interface can fill its 100mbps bandwidth, so it is not the cause. The
            extemely poor USB-performance is probably a safer bet. A slow CPU doesn't
            really help either, though I get higher speeds on Samba towards Intel CPUs
            at lower clock speeds than the NSLU2.

            Basically, it is slow - learn to live with it or leave it.

            best,

            -- Inge
          • John Schettino
            Message 5 of 5 , May 22, 2005
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "tedriedel" <ted@s...> wrote:
              > I'm new to the NSLU2, having set mine up yesterday, and find myself
              > wondering what is a normal speed for backing up files to this device.
              >
              > At this time I am backing up my wifes e-mail directory (mozilla) which
              > is 4.6 gigs. I don't think she deletes anything. This process took
              > right at 23 minutes overa 100mb network. PC to Linksys BEFSX41 router
              > then to NSLU2.
              >
              > That seems slow to me. Is this a standard rate? or is the network
              > dropping to 10/half somewhere?

              It's not the ethernet, it's samba and/or the USB drive interface. I
              upgraded to samba 3.0x on the Unlung beta 4.2 firmware, and that will
              support 4.8MB/sec writes to the NSLU - a bit faster it seems then the
              version linksys bundles. Watching the NSLU while this is happening,
              CPU runs at pretty much 100%, so it (the nslu) is mostly likely cpu
              limited.

              When I copy between my main linix box and other PCs, I am network
              limited (8-9MB/sec 100mbit) unless I run over a gigabit ethernet
              (30+GB/sec, near the max read or write speed of the drives) So the
              NSLU is only half as slow as the raw 100mbit ethernet-based shares.

              You can probably set your drive to spin down after a bit of inactivity
              (depends on the drive itself, but it's a low-level power saving mode)

              Clearly, this is not a barn burner, but it works fine for unattended
              backup, and for general network store duties.