RE: [nslu2-general] Re: slow transfers?

  • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 6, 2004
      > sorry, let me back up and explain. i have two external usb
      > 2.0 hard drives,
      > a d-link 614+ router, and an nslu2.

      <snip>

      If you want to just do a one-time file copy over to the drive, I'd just try
      a cd-based linux distro that has an NTFS driver. Knoppix popes to the top of
      the list there.

      IMO right now the NSLU2 is horribly crippled with the existing linksys
      firmware. Bad Ethernet support, poor drive read-write speeds, errors with
      firmware flashing, drives become unformatted to the NSLU2 requiring
      formatting of the drive again (won't work natively, you have to take the
      drive, and remove the EXT3 partitions on another system before the format
      will succeed, scandisk fails with no error code or reason, intermittent
      network drop-offs when transferring larger files over the network (causing
      file corruption) etc.

      The UNSLUNG firmware is going thru it's final testing now. Once that is
      done, you will be able to load the NSLU2 off a Linux distro on the HDD. At
      that point, we'll have better support all-around. I'd wait till we are at
      that place if the data on your NTFS drive is important to you.

      My $0.02
      David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
      Carpe Diem - "Seize the Day"
      Funstuff: 90% of the time I'm right, so why worry about the other 3%?
    • icole2112
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 6, 2004
        I know my transfer times are hideous with wireless (using built-in
        802.11b) - is this a one time need (copying very large datasets) or
        will you need to do this on a regular basis?

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Pytlik" <mark.pytlik@r...>

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1296gbrbg/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=gr

        oups/S=1705005378:HM/EXP=1094558569/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*http://www.

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=

      • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 6, 2004
          > I know my transfer times are hideous with wireless (using built-in
          > 802.11b) - is this a one time need (copying very large datasets) or
          > will you need to do this on a regular basis?
          <snip>

          You recently posted this message to the nslu2-linux group, with a short
          reply ontop of a long unedited previous message. Please clean your E-mails
          before sending them to the group. Please use this tutorial on how to do that
          with 5-10 seconds of keystrokes.

          http://www.pcrei.com/ppro/winks/tutorial_display.php?id=3

          Your help with keeping the group clean is most appreciated.

          Thanks,
          David Troesch
        • David
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 6, 2004
            <snip>
            > You recently posted this message to the nslu2-general group, with a
            short
            > reply ontop of a long unedited previous message.

            <snip>

            Whoops...I did mean to make that an off-group message (realized just
            after I hit the send button), but please use this as a general
            reminder to edit your messages.

            Thanks,
            David Troesch
            Group Moderator
          • Mark Pytlik
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 6, 2004
              Well, theoretically I'd never have to do a transfer this large again, but
              the thought of 400k/s in ANY configuration is enough to make me rethink the
              setup...

              _____

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129pnus79/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=gr
              oups/S=1705005378:HM/EXP=1094575356/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*http://www.
              netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298> click here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=
              :HM/A=2319498/rand=668559947>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • jtabar
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 10, 2004
                In my experience, it is important to make sure that a NIC is set to
                the same setting as the port on the switch. So if you have an
                unmanaged switch where all the ports are set to autodetect, you also
                need to set the NIC to autodetect. I have a 3Com NIC with a broadcom
                chip running in a RedHat Linux box, and I had to change the link speed
                and duplex to autodetect, because it was running VERY slowly when I
                had it set to 100/full.

                Is there a way to change the link speed and duplex of the NIC in the
                NSLU2??
              • Mark Pytlik
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 10, 2004
                  Is a switch the same as a router? Does anyone know if I can change the link
                  speed of an individual port on a D-Link 614+ router?

                  on 9/10/2004 11:07 AM, jtabar at jtabar@... wrote:

                  In my experience, it is important to make sure that a NIC is set to
                  the same setting as the port on the switch. So if you have an
                  unmanaged switch where all the ports are set to autodetect, you also
                  need to set the NIC to autodetect. I have a 3Com NIC with a broadcom
                  chip running in a RedHat Linux box, and I had to change the link speed
                  and duplex to autodetect, because it was running VERY slowly when I
                  had it set to 100/full.

                  Is there a way to change the link speed and duplex of the NIC in the
                  NSLU2??

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                  To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • Stuart Stegall
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 10, 2004
                    Some consumer "routers" have hubs or switches built in to them. Switches and routers are a rather complicated situtation.
                    Basically what most people call routers are devices that made decisions based on Layer 3 networking information and what most people
                    call switches are devices that make decisions based on Layer 2 networking. Most consumer routers come with 4 ports that may be
                    arranged as a switch or a hub (which is simply a layer 2 repeater that simple interconnects the ports). They typically do not let
                    you specifiy any settings. In reality there is NO reason that turning off autodetection would make any difference unless your card
                    is not autodetecting the correct setting. There are a few broken cards around that don't like autodetect mode and a few others that
                    will report to the kernel that they have negotiated 100baseTX when in reality they have not done so. You can usually tell based on
                    the lights on the switch/hub. Another thing to note is that the NSLU2 has issues with full duplex with many hubs and switches. It
                    works with my Linksys 16 port switch buy not my Linksys router's builtin 4port switch. I would think that if all of the parts were
                    in good working order you should be able to get 10MB/s. I am able to get 11.56MB/s. At some point there will be Gigabit USB2
                    adapters and we'll be able to get faster connectivity ... We can probably at that point get close to hard drive speeds.