Samba 3 and constant drive access

  • huillam
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2005
      I have uNSLUng standard, v3.18beta running without problems. I wanted
      to be able to use Unicode filenames and installed SAMBA 3 via ipkg.
      Everything works fine, BUT:

      Whereas before SAMBA 3, my Maxtor OneTouch spun down after 10 minutes
      of no activity (I configured it before connecting it to the NSLU2),
      now it spins constantly and shows read/write activity (per the front
      LED) every 1-2 minutes.

      I fee pretty confident that it's SAMBA 3 that's causing the problem,
      because if I uninstall it and revert back to SAMBA 2, things are back
      to normal.

      Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this behavior, or
      better yet, have a fix for it? I like being able to use Unicode, but
      not at the cost of the drive spinning constantly.

      Just to check to see if I was totally running out of memory (and
      constantly swapping), I ran free before an after SAMBA 3:

      # free [with SAMBA v2]
      total used free shared buffers
      Mem: 30556 24192 6364 0 5988
      Swap: 56220 0 56220