Samba traffic blocks Mediaserver

  • realpsychodad
    Message 1 of 8 , May 8 12:30 PM
      Hi

      I can not acces the TwonkyVision Mediaserver (NSLU2) when transfering
      large Files from a PC at the same time. Just shows no Folders /
      says "no content"
      (Clients: Noxon, DSM-320)

      If I start playback on clients first its no problem...

      Is there a way to "slowdown" SAMBA - traffic a little?

      by

      Psychodad
    • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      Message 2 of 8 , May 8 3:00 PM
        > Is there a way to "slowdown" SAMBA - traffic a little?

        No and yes. The traffic shaping system described on the wiki enables you to
        do this, but it cannot run on Unslung 3, only Unslung 4 (and OpenSlug of
        course). I use it myself and think it is one of the wonders of the world.
        You can "slow down" traffic by reference to any source or destination port
        by changing priority of outbound traffic as well as setting hard limits on
        the bit rate of outbound traffic. Inbound traffic, I believe, can only be
        affected indirectly by priority of outbound ack's (corrections welcome to
        this statement).

        best,

        -- Inge
      • realpsychodad
        Message 3 of 8 , May 9 12:02 AM
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
          <i.b.arnesen@f...> wrote:
          > > Is there a way to "slowdown" SAMBA - traffic a little?
          >
          > No and yes. The traffic shaping system described on the wiki enables
          you to
          > do this, but it cannot run on Unslung 3, only Unslung 4 (and OpenSlug
          of
          > course). I use it myself and think it is one of the wonders of the
          world.

          Ok, well... then I'm still waiting for unslung 4. Any news about
          release date? ;-)

          greets

          Psychodad
        • Rod Whitby
          Message 4 of 8 , May 9 2:44 AM
            On 5/9/05, realpsychodad <ahelbling@...> wrote:
            > Ok, well... then I'm still waiting for unslung 4. Any news about
            > release date? ;-)

            As soon as we have 20 alpha testers - same as any other beta release
            from the nslu2-linux development team. We currently have 20 people in
            the database at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-linux/database?method=reportRows&tbl=8
            but 7 of them (chrs_e, jannesfe, Spooky8577, inge_arnesen, Tpol_05,
            Wolf_543210, and novotnymeister) are testing something more than 10
            versions behind the latest - and there have been *major* (but
            backwards-compatible) implementation changes in the boot sequence
            since those versions.

            So as soon as we get 20 alpha testers who are actually testing a
            reasonably recent version of Unslung 4.x, then we will release a
            binary. The release date is determined by the willingness of the
            community to alpha test the release ....

            -- Rod
          • janne
            Message 5 of 8 , May 9 10:25 AM
              I have built Unslung and Openslug latest at 2005-05-06, just not
              updated the yahoo list.
              /Janne (jannesfe)

              Rod Whitby wrote:

              >On 5/9/05, realpsychodad <ahelbling@...> wrote:
              >

              >> Ok, well... then I'm still waiting for unslung 4. Any news about
              >> release date? ;-)
              >>

              >As soon as we have 20 alpha testers - same as any other beta release
              >from the nslu2-linux development team. We currently have 20 people in
              >the database at
              >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-linux/database?method=reportRows&tbl=8
              >but 7 of them (chrs_e, jannesfe, Spooky8577, inge_arnesen, Tpol_05,
              >Wolf_543210, and novotnymeister) are testing something more than 10
              >versions behind the latest - and there have been *major* (but
              >backwards-compatible) implementation changes in the boot sequence
              >since those versions.
              >
              >So as soon as we get 20 alpha testers who are actually testing a
              >reasonably recent version of Unslung 4.x, then we will release a
              >binary. The release date is determined by the willingness of the
              >community to alpha test the release ....
              >
              >-- Rod
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Gerald L. Clark
              Message 6 of 8 , May 9 3:43 PM
                janne wrote:
                > I have built Unslung and Openslug latest at 2005-05-06, just not
                > updated the yahoo list.
                > /Janne (jannesfe)

                Doesn't count until you do.

                --
                nslu-linux - glc
              • Rod Whitby
                Message 7 of 8 , May 9 3:51 PM
                  I've updated your database entry for you ... could others who test
                  new versions please update their database entry themselves?

                  -- Rod

                  On 5/10/05, janne <janne@...> wrote:
                  > I have built Unslung and Openslug latest at 2005-05-06, just not
                  > updated the yahoo list.
                  > /Janne (jannesfe)
                  >

                  > Rod Whitby wrote:
                  >
                  > >On 5/9/05, realpsychodad <ahelbling@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > >> Ok, well... then I'm still waiting for unslung 4. Any news about
                  > >> release date? ;-)
                  > >>

                  > >As soon as we have 20 alpha testers - same as any other beta release
                  > >from the nslu2-linux development team. We currently have 20 people in
                  > >the database at
                  > >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-linux/database?method=reportRows&tbl=8
                  > >but 7 of them (chrs_e, jannesfe, Spooky8577, inge_arnesen, Tpol_05,
                  > >Wolf_543210, and novotnymeister) are testing something more than 10
                  > >versions behind the latest - and there have been *major* (but
                  > >backwards-compatible) implementation changes in the boot sequence
                  > >since those versions.
                  > >
                  > >So as soon as we get 20 alpha testers who are actually testing a
                  > >reasonably recent version of Unslung 4.x, then we will release a
                  > >binary. The release date is determined by the willingness of the
                  > >community to alpha test the release ....
                  > >
                  > >-- Rod
                  > >

                  > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • janne
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 10 12:29 PM