Re: Multiple Network Neighborhood Entries

  • Joe Harker
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2005
      Yep, that worked! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess
      I'm just not that familiar with networking and the Windows Network
      Neighborhood.

      As a side note, I was able to map a network drive to a directory on
      the NSLU2 by right-clicking My Computer in Windows Explorer,
      choosing Map Network Drive, and then clicking Browse to find the
      NSLU2 on my network. It works great! I'm sure you all know this
      already, but it wasn't intuitive to me so maybe it'll help others. I
      did find the "map network drive" instructions in the user guide
      later. You have to use the guide on the CD, not the one included in
      the NSLU2 user interface web page.

      I also tried to setup a share, but could never get it to work. Even
      though I copied the directory location in the "location" box, when
      permissions were setup for everyone and the share would become
      available on the network, nothing was in it. I looked for new
      folders that might be getting created from incorrect paths, but
      found none. So I don't know why I can't create shares that work, but
      it's not really a big deal for me since I can map a drive to the
      NSLU2.

      So far, I'm really liking this device!

      Has anyone who has it setup to do Drive1->Drive2 backups had a HDD
      failure and was able to successfully restore their data from the
      backup drive? I'm a little concerned about this based on a previous
      poster saying that the NSLU2 wouldn't recognize the backup Disk2
      after a failure.

      Thanks!