Multiple Network Neighborhood Entries

  • Joe Harker
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5 8:47 AM
      BACKGROUND:
      First off, I'm a total newbie at all this. I just got my NSLU2 the
      other day. I have a Windows XP network with a Linksys 4-port router.
      I don't know anything about Linux. I have 2 external USB hard drives
      (one 60GB and one 80GB) connected to the NSLU2.

      PROBLEM:
      The problem I'm having is, after I changed the System name on the
      Admin web page from the cryptic "Lkg7d18ff" to "NSLU2", the old
      system name is still showing up for both USB drives on the network.
      However, only the drives listed under the "NSLU2" system actually
      work. The others throw a "could not connect to network device" type
      of error. It's like they're not there, but they're still showing,
      even after I rebooted the NSLU2 and powered down the machine I made
      the System name change from.

      So, here's what my Network Neighborhood looks like:
      /admin on Lkg7d18ff
      /admin on NSLU2
      /disk1 on Lkg7d18ff
      /disk1 on NSLU2
      /disk2 on Lkg7d18ff
      /disk2 on NSLU2

      Is there a way to get rid of all this extra Network Neighborhood
      trash? I shouldn't be seeing the Lkg7d18ff stuff, and I really don't
      want to see the admin entries, either. I'll use the web page to
      login to my NSLU2, not Network Neighborhood. Also, since I've got it
      set to backup Disk1 to Disk2, I don't want to see Disk2 on my
      network at all, because I can't make changes to it anyway.

      I've read the Wiki file (http://www.nslu2-
      linux.org/wiki/Main/HomePage) and didn't find anything related to
      these issues. Can anyone help please?

      Thanks!
    • Ronald Smith

        Message 3 of 3 , May 6 6:57 AM
          Yep, that worked! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess
          I'm just not that familiar with networking and the Windows Network
          Neighborhood.

          As a side note, I was able to map a network drive to a directory on
          the NSLU2 by right-clicking My Computer in Windows Explorer,
          choosing Map Network Drive, and then clicking Browse to find the
          NSLU2 on my network. It works great! I'm sure you all know this
          already, but it wasn't intuitive to me so maybe it'll help others. I
          did find the "map network drive" instructions in the user guide
          later. You have to use the guide on the CD, not the one included in
          the NSLU2 user interface web page.

          I also tried to setup a share, but could never get it to work. Even
          though I copied the directory location in the "location" box, when
          permissions were setup for everyone and the share would become
          available on the network, nothing was in it. I looked for new
          folders that might be getting created from incorrect paths, but
          found none. So I don't know why I can't create shares that work, but
          it's not really a big deal for me since I can map a drive to the
          NSLU2.

          So far, I'm really liking this device!

          Has anyone who has it setup to do Drive1->Drive2 backups had a HDD
          failure and was able to successfully restore their data from the
          backup drive? I'm a little concerned about this based on a previous
          poster saying that the NSLU2 wouldn't recognize the backup Disk2
          after a failure.

          Thanks!