New user - Already bought 4 NSLU2's

  • Ronald Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5 2:02 AM
      Lots of info here:

      Last week, after my first NSLU2 arrived and I saw how it worked I ordered 3 more. I have 8 external HD of various sizes from 160 to 300 GB each. 4 of them store Video, 1 has about 200GB of MP3's, 1 has 100GB of audiobooks, and the other 2 are extra.

      My goal is to get the heat out of my room where I sleep. It gets to hot with all this equipement running 24/7.

      So far I have been successful with the first three adding 5 of the HD. I have to order a new enclosure for the others as the ones I had will not format.

      My plan is to leave the first 3 NSLU2 alone with stock software and play with the forth until I am able to safely get an FTP working.

      I run 2 modified XBoxes with XBMC build 2005-05-02 with the new Project Mayhem 3 skins. They each have 160GB HDs in them. I also run an Audiotron which is playing in random mode 24/7. I use a Home Theater Master MX850 remote with macros set up so my wife has only to press 1 button to get Xbox Video or Photos, Audiotron Music, or the occasional Replay TV/cable show.

      So now I have access to the 5 HDs on 3 NSLU2 streaming Video to the XBoxes. I hate watching anything that has commercials. I prefer to wait until someone posts the TV shows I like and then DL them.

      On August 13th, 2004 my home was destroyed by Hurricane Charley. Most of my possesions were lost but I did have the foresight to secure all of my computer and valuable electronic equipement. Thanks to an unusually good insurance policy/adjuster/company, I came out of the experience with a 90% remodeled home and $100,000. I put a 42" plasma in my living room and soon I am upgrading to a 50" and will move the 42" to my bedroom.

      I guess my house is a real geek fest and I look forward to joing the NSLU2 community to add my support wherever possible.