NSLU2 - Need to Grab Files from Disk 2 Backup

  • jlamari
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2 10:15 AM
      I'm really hoping someone on this forum can help me with my problem. I
      had previously made a Disk 1 to Disk 2 successful copy with the
      web-based utility on my Windows XP PC. Recently, Disk 1 got corrupted
      on and now I need to access the data on my Disk 2 backup hard drive,
      however, when I connect the drive to the Disk 1 USB connection, it
      tells me that it needs to be formatted. I know that the data is fine
      on it since I had previously checked it out. I have tried several ways
      to get the NSLU2 to recognize the drive by switching back and forth
      between the USB1 and USB2 ports and nothing works.

      I tried talking to Linksys support but they told me I had to reformat
      the drive. Are there any suggestions you folks can make since I have a
      lot of data on the drive that I really need to get.

      Thanks in advance,

      Joe
    • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2 11:05 AM
        Check the wiki. There is a section on the "drive not formatted condition".
        The safest bet will be to hook it up to a PC and mount it from Linux (if you
        are running XP, try CoLinux or the DSL ditsro with QEMU which lets you run
        Linux on XP) and extract the required data. You can also mount it manually
        on the slug.

        best,

        -- Inge

        > I'm really hoping someone on this forum can help me with
        > my problem. I had previously made a Disk 1 to Disk 2
        > successful copy with the web-based utility on my Windows
        > XP PC. Recently, Disk 1 got corrupted on and now I need
        > to access the data on my Disk 2 backup hard drive,
        > however, when I connect the drive to the Disk 1 USB
        > connection, it tells me that it needs to be formatted. I
        > know that the data is fine on it since I had previously
        > checked it out. I have tried several ways to get the
        > NSLU2 to recognize the drive by switching back and forth
        > between the USB1 and USB2 ports and nothing works.
        >
        > I tried talking to Linksys support but they told me I had
        > to reformat the drive. Are there any suggestions you
        > folks can make since I have a lot of data on the drive
        > that I really need to get.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Joe
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Arne Berner
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2 12:03 PM
          You can read ext2 format disks on winXP with the help of this driver:
          http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm

          This is a easy and quick way to get access to your files.

          Arne

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen