May have made a brick

  • David Carter
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2005
      I just installed the latest beta firmware and everything seemed fine;
      it booted and I could access my drives. I did not "unsling" my hard
      drive as I hoped there would be enough room in the slug to store an
      FTP server (that's really all I want). I then tried to install an
      FTPD package, but it complained that there wasn't enough room. So, I
      followed the instructions to unsling a drive. It says to boot up,
      telnet in, THEN while the slug is on, to connect the drive to be
      unslung. I know that contradicts the Linksys manual which says the
      slug is not hotswappable, but I trusted the instructions on the
      unslung web site. Now, although the slug boots normally, I hear the
      beep, lights are on solid, and I get the appropriate lights when I
      plug in the ethernet and disks, I cannot ping it on any ip address. I
      did a factory reset (held in the reset button until I heard the beep),
      but cannot ping it or connect to it in any way. Any thoughts?

      Thanks in advance-

      Dave S.
    • jicemanl
      Message 2 of 2 , May 18, 2005
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "David Carter" <dypered@h...>
        wrote:

        > I just installed the latest beta firmware and everything seemed
        fine;
        > it booted and I could access my drives. I did not "unsling" my hard
        > drive as I hoped there would be enough room in the slug to store an
        > FTP server (that's really all I want). I then tried to install an
        > FTPD package, but it complained that there wasn't enough room. So,
        > followed the instructions to unsling a drive. It says to boot up,
        > telnet in, THEN while the slug is on, to connect the drive to be
        > unslung. I know that contradicts the Linksys manual which says the
        > slug is not hotswappable, but I trusted the instructions on the
        > unslung web site. Now, although the slug boots normally, I hear the
        > beep, lights are on solid, and I get the appropriate lights when I
        > plug in the ethernet and disks, I cannot ping it on any ip
        address. I
        > did a factory reset (held in the reset button until I heard the
        beep),
        > but cannot ping it or connect to it in any way. Any thoughts?
        >
        > Thanks in advance-
        >
        > Dave S.

        Quick Questions:
        Latest firmware would be? (4.20b)
        What is the size make model of your drive
        If you unplug the drive and boot the linksys can you ping it?

        The reason i ask is i have a 300gb Western Digital (WD3000) drive
        that i've tried to unsling the 4.20b to and the thing acts like it's
        gonna boot but somewhere during the boot it just stops and i can't
        see it on the network. (my current work around is to let the slug
        boot then attach the drive, i loose the ability to add packages but
        i have access to my data)

        I'm in the process of backing up my data off the drive to reformat
        to try to load the 4.20b again (tested with a 100gb WD drive and it
        worked, system booted off drive and packages could be installed)

        hoping its a simple issue like formating with the new bios.. but i'm
        thinking it may be a large drive issue giving the built in linux a
        problem. I don't have a serial port installed on my slug so i can't
        see the error when it stops. If anyone else has seen this and has a
        fix please post it.

        JIcemanL