Re: TFTP problems in Redboot

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 21, 2005
      Hi
      I am in exactly the same boat. I can get to RedBoot without problems
      put can't use tftp to transfer the file due to a timeout error (about
      3 seconds). I have tried change my network ip's and tried a
      crossover, but still no luck. I have just tried the Sercomm Upgrade
      Utility and it does not find the brick. I haven't tried http yet as
      I don't know how to set it up. Really stumped here. Any ideas from
      the experts?
      Tia
      Chris

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "cjurwiler" <curwiler@c...>
      wrote:

      > Hi there,
      >
      > I'm trying to unbrick my NSLU2 which died I tried to upgrade to
      R29.
      > I have followed the instructions on nslu2-linux.org to get a
      RedBoot
      > prompt and can successfully see the slug on 192.168.0.1. I have set
      > up a TFTP server on 192.168.0.100 and I can access it from another
      > box and even download a file from it.
      >
      > But when I try to download the firmware from my TFTP server, I get:
      > Can't load 'NSLU2_V23R25.bin': operation timed out
      >
      > My other idea is to use HTTP, so I'm going to make sure I've got a
      > web service running and give that a shot.
      >
      > This is from a WindowsXP machine using the SolarWinds TFTP server.
      >
      > I'm hoping there's some other ideas for me to try in order to get
      > this file on my slug so that I can unbrick it. To be this close to
      > fixing it yet unable to load the firmware is .... frustrating.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for other help.
      > -Chuck
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 22, 2005
        When using the Sercomm Upgrade utility type "upgrade" at the Redboot
        prompt before searching for the brick. How do we get the
        instructions changed at nslu2-linux.org to reflect this minor but
        crucial change?
        Chris

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <chris_jjt@y...> wrote:

        > Hi
        > I am in exactly the same boat. I can get to RedBoot without
        problems
        > put can't use tftp to transfer the file due to a timeout error
        (about
        > 3 seconds). I have tried change my network ip's and tried a
        > crossover, but still no luck. I have just tried the Sercomm
        Upgrade
        > Utility and it does not find the brick. I haven't tried http yet
        as
        > I don't know how to set it up. Really stumped here. Any ideas
        from
        > the experts?
        > Tia
        > Chris
        >

        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "cjurwiler" <curwiler@c...>
        > wrote:
        > >

        > > Hi there,
        > >
        > > I'm trying to unbrick my NSLU2 which died I tried to upgrade to
        > R29.
        > > I have followed the instructions on nslu2-linux.org to get a
        > RedBoot
        > > prompt and can successfully see the slug on 192.168.0.1. I have
        set
        > > up a TFTP server on 192.168.0.100 and I can access it from
        another
        > > box and even download a file from it.
        > >
        > > But when I try to download the firmware from my TFTP server, I
        get:
        > > Can't load 'NSLU2_V23R25.bin': operation timed out
        > >
        > > My other idea is to use HTTP, so I'm going to make sure I've got
        > > web service running and give that a shot.
        > >
        > > This is from a WindowsXP machine using the SolarWinds TFTP
        server.

        > > I'm hoping there's some other ideas for me to try in order to get
        > > this file on my slug so that I can unbrick it. To be this close
        > > fixing it yet unable to load the firmware is .... frustrating.
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance for other help.
        > > -Chuck
      • Robert Hammond
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 22, 2005
          In message <d4a964+3mhe@...>, Chris <chris_jjt@...>
          writes

          >When using the Sercomm Upgrade utility type "upgrade" at the Redboot
          >prompt before searching for the brick. How do we get the
          >instructions changed at nslu2-linux.org to reflect this minor but
          >crucial change?
          >Chris

          Wiki pages are easily amended, just click on the Edit link at the
          bottom of the page, change the text as required, pre-view your changes
          and then save.
          --
          Robert Hammond
          PGP:0x154144DA
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 28, 2005
            Gents:

            I'm no expert, but I had the same problem and successfully unbricked
            my nslu2 with http. I had Apache installed on my computer, and tried
            http out of deperation. I put the firmware in Apache's document root
            (see httpd.conf to find that directory if you don't know already),
            then I did the following:

            first, get into RedBoot - you already know how
            telnet 192.168.0.1 9000

            then give it the address of my http server (fixed ip on my computer)
            ip_address -h 192.168.0.2

            Download and set up Ethereal to ensure that the download actually
            happens, then close your eyes and issue the following. DO NOT use the
            -v option to display the dorky spinner as that interrupts the normal
            flow. Instead, rely on Etherreal to verify the download.
            load -r -m http -h 192.168.0.2 -b 0x01000000
            \\unslung-standard-3.18-beta.bin

            Close your eyes and issue this command to flash the firmware.
            fis write -f 0x50060000 -b 0x01060000 -l 0x7a0000

            That did it for me. Good luck,

            David

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <chris_jjt@y...> wrote:

            > Hi
            > I am in exactly the same boat. I can get to RedBoot without problems
            > put can't use tftp to transfer the file due to a timeout error (about
            > 3 seconds). I have tried change my network ip's and tried a
            > crossover, but still no luck. I have just tried the Sercomm Upgrade
            > Utility and it does not find the brick. I haven't tried http yet as
            > I don't know how to set it up. Really stumped here. Any ideas from
            > the experts?
            > Tia
            > Chris
            >

            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "cjurwiler" <curwiler@c...>
            > wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi there,
            > >
            > > I'm trying to unbrick my NSLU2 which died I tried to upgrade to
            > R29.
            > > I have followed the instructions on nslu2-linux.org to get a
            > RedBoot
            > > prompt and can successfully see the slug on 192.168.0.1. I have set
            > > up a TFTP server on 192.168.0.100 and I can access it from another
            > > box and even download a file from it.
            > >
            > > But when I try to download the firmware from my TFTP server, I get:
            > > Can't load 'NSLU2_V23R25.bin': operation timed out
            > >
            > > My other idea is to use HTTP, so I'm going to make sure I've got a
            > > web service running and give that a shot.
            > >
            > > This is from a WindowsXP machine using the SolarWinds TFTP server.
            > >
            > > I'm hoping there's some other ideas for me to try in order to get
            > > this file on my slug so that I can unbrick it. To be this close to
            > > fixing it yet unable to load the firmware is .... frustrating.
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance for other help.
            > > -Chuck
          • cjurwiler
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2005
              Well, gang, after a long time of not being able to try anything, I
              finally got around to working on my slug again.

              Thankfully, I was able to unbrick it - this time, I used a crossover
              cable instead of a straight one and that seemed to do the trick. I
              used the sercomm upgrade utility and this time it found the device no
              problem, allowing me to restore the R25 firmware.

              Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully this will help others with
              the same problem.

              -Chuck