RE: [nslu2-general] TFTP problems in Redboot

  • tonymy01
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 12, 2005
      I tried everything to get TFTP working with my setup (changing ip addresses on 2nd nic card etc etc) and didn't have any luck.

      I even setup my router to have an ip address of 192.168.0.2 so there was no clash with the redbooted SLUG, and still the tftp method wouldn't work.

      So instead, I followed this procedure twice with no problems:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RecoverFromABadFlash
      but put the image on my webserver:
      "RedBoot also supports HTTP in addition to TFTP. All you have to do is add -m http to the load command and specify a full path (from the doc root) to the file you want ('/firm/myfirmware.bin', for example). "

      --
      Cheers
      Tonymy01

      ---- jncharli - tele2 <jncharli@...> wrote:

      Hello Chuck,

      I met the same issue on my bricked NSLU2.

      Once connected through Telnet to RedBoot, I was able to ping my NSLU2 from

      my desktop, but not to establish a TFTP session with it (« operation time

      out »).

      As I am using a home routeur (Linksys) to connect my desktop and the NSLU2,

      I remembered that all equipment must be in the same adressing scheme that

      the NSLU2, even the router.

      In other words, you must change IP adress of your desktop AND your router,

      in order for them to have an adress like 192.168.0.x.

      If you do that, the TFTP should work.

      Try and tell me…

      JN

      _____

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 13, 2005
        In message <d3j9jk+1863@...>, cjurwiler <curwiler@...>
        writes

        >Thanks guys for the tips, but I don't have either of these problems
        >as I'm using a direct cable connection from my laptop to the slug.

        <Snip>
        When I trashed mine I eventually invested in a cross over cable for
        direct connection and used the SerComm Upgrade Utility, you can find
        the URL to this program on the Wiki at:-

        <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RecoverFromABadFlash>

        This has saved my slug from the trash bin twice with no ill effects.
        This utility seems to be able to re-flash a slug even through it seem
        totally dead.
        --
        Robert Hammond
        PGP:0x154144DA
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 21, 2005
          Hi
          I am in exactly the same boat. I can get to RedBoot without problems
          put can't use tftp to transfer the file due to a timeout error (about
          3 seconds). I have tried change my network ip's and tried a
          crossover, but still no luck. I have just tried the Sercomm Upgrade
          Utility and it does not find the brick. I haven't tried http yet as
          I don't know how to set it up. Really stumped here. Any ideas from
          the experts?
          Tia
          Chris

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "cjurwiler" <curwiler@c...>
          wrote:

          > Hi there,
          >
          > I'm trying to unbrick my NSLU2 which died I tried to upgrade to
          R29.
          > I have followed the instructions on nslu2-linux.org to get a
          RedBoot
          > prompt and can successfully see the slug on 192.168.0.1. I have set
          > up a TFTP server on 192.168.0.100 and I can access it from another
          > box and even download a file from it.
          >
          > But when I try to download the firmware from my TFTP server, I get:
          > Can't load 'NSLU2_V23R25.bin': operation timed out
          >
          > My other idea is to use HTTP, so I'm going to make sure I've got a
          > web service running and give that a shot.
          >
          > This is from a WindowsXP machine using the SolarWinds TFTP server.
          >
          > I'm hoping there's some other ideas for me to try in order to get
          > this file on my slug so that I can unbrick it. To be this close to
          > fixing it yet unable to load the firmware is .... frustrating.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for other help.
          > -Chuck
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 22, 2005
            When using the Sercomm Upgrade utility type "upgrade" at the Redboot
            prompt before searching for the brick. How do we get the
            instructions changed at nslu2-linux.org to reflect this minor but
            crucial change?
            Chris

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <chris_jjt@y...> wrote:

            > Hi
            > I am in exactly the same boat. I can get to RedBoot without
            problems
            > put can't use tftp to transfer the file due to a timeout error
            (about
            > 3 seconds). I have tried change my network ip's and tried a
            > crossover, but still no luck. I have just tried the Sercomm
            Upgrade
            > Utility and it does not find the brick. I haven't tried http yet
            as
            > I don't know how to set it up. Really stumped here. Any ideas
            from
            > the experts?
            > Tia
            > Chris
            >

            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "cjurwiler" <curwiler@c...>
            > wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi there,
            > >
            > > I'm trying to unbrick my NSLU2 which died I tried to upgrade to
            > R29.
            > > I have followed the instructions on nslu2-linux.org to get a
            > RedBoot
            > > prompt and can successfully see the slug on 192.168.0.1. I have
            set
            > > up a TFTP server on 192.168.0.100 and I can access it from
            another
            > > box and even download a file from it.
            > >
            > > But when I try to download the firmware from my TFTP server, I
            get:
            > > Can't load 'NSLU2_V23R25.bin': operation timed out
            > >
            > > My other idea is to use HTTP, so I'm going to make sure I've got
            > > web service running and give that a shot.
            > >
            > > This is from a WindowsXP machine using the SolarWinds TFTP
            server.

            > > I'm hoping there's some other ideas for me to try in order to get
            > > this file on my slug so that I can unbrick it. To be this close
            > > fixing it yet unable to load the firmware is .... frustrating.
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance for other help.
            > > -Chuck
          • Robert Hammond
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 22, 2005
              In message <d4a964+3mhe@...>, Chris <chris_jjt@...>
              writes

              >When using the Sercomm Upgrade utility type "upgrade" at the Redboot
              >prompt before searching for the brick. How do we get the
              >instructions changed at nslu2-linux.org to reflect this minor but
              >crucial change?
              >Chris

              Wiki pages are easily amended, just click on the Edit link at the
              bottom of the page, change the text as required, pre-view your changes
              and then save.
              --
              Robert Hammond
              PGP:0x154144DA
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 28, 2005
                Gents:

                I'm no expert, but I had the same problem and successfully unbricked
                my nslu2 with http. I had Apache installed on my computer, and tried
                http out of deperation. I put the firmware in Apache's document root
                (see httpd.conf to find that directory if you don't know already),
                then I did the following:

                first, get into RedBoot - you already know how
                telnet 192.168.0.1 9000

                then give it the address of my http server (fixed ip on my computer)
                ip_address -h 192.168.0.2

                Download and set up Ethereal to ensure that the download actually
                happens, then close your eyes and issue the following. DO NOT use the
                -v option to display the dorky spinner as that interrupts the normal
                flow. Instead, rely on Etherreal to verify the download.
                load -r -m http -h 192.168.0.2 -b 0x01000000
                \\unslung-standard-3.18-beta.bin

                Close your eyes and issue this command to flash the firmware.
                fis write -f 0x50060000 -b 0x01060000 -l 0x7a0000

                That did it for me. Good luck,

                David

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <chris_jjt@y...> wrote:

                > Hi
                > I am in exactly the same boat. I can get to RedBoot without problems
                > put can't use tftp to transfer the file due to a timeout error (about
                > 3 seconds). I have tried change my network ip's and tried a
                > crossover, but still no luck. I have just tried the Sercomm Upgrade
                > Utility and it does not find the brick. I haven't tried http yet as
                > I don't know how to set it up. Really stumped here. Any ideas from
                > the experts?
                > Tia
                > Chris
                >

                > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "cjurwiler" <curwiler@c...>
                > wrote:
                > >

                > > Hi there,
                > >
                > > I'm trying to unbrick my NSLU2 which died I tried to upgrade to
                > R29.
                > > I have followed the instructions on nslu2-linux.org to get a
                > RedBoot
                > > prompt and can successfully see the slug on 192.168.0.1. I have set
                > > up a TFTP server on 192.168.0.100 and I can access it from another
                > > box and even download a file from it.
                > >
                > > But when I try to download the firmware from my TFTP server, I get:
                > > Can't load 'NSLU2_V23R25.bin': operation timed out
                > >
                > > My other idea is to use HTTP, so I'm going to make sure I've got a
                > > web service running and give that a shot.
                > >
                > > This is from a WindowsXP machine using the SolarWinds TFTP server.
                > >
                > > I'm hoping there's some other ideas for me to try in order to get
                > > this file on my slug so that I can unbrick it. To be this close to
                > > fixing it yet unable to load the firmware is .... frustrating.
                > >
                > > Thanks in advance for other help.
                > > -Chuck
              • cjurwiler
                Message 7 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                  Well, gang, after a long time of not being able to try anything, I
                  finally got around to working on my slug again.

                  Thankfully, I was able to unbrick it - this time, I used a crossover
                  cable instead of a straight one and that seemed to do the trick. I
                  used the sercomm upgrade utility and this time it found the device no
                  problem, allowing me to restore the R25 firmware.

                  Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully this will help others with
                  the same problem.

                  -Chuck