TFTP problems in Redboot

  • cjurwiler
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 12, 2005
      Hi there,

      I'm trying to unbrick my NSLU2 which died I tried to upgrade to R29.
      I have followed the instructions on nslu2-linux.org to get a RedBoot
      prompt and can successfully see the slug on 192.168.0.1. I have set
      up a TFTP server on 192.168.0.100 and I can access it from another
      box and even download a file from it.

      But when I try to download the firmware from my TFTP server, I get:
      Can't load 'NSLU2_V23R25.bin': operation timed out

      My other idea is to use HTTP, so I'm going to make sure I've got a
      web service running and give that a shot.

      This is from a WindowsXP machine using the SolarWinds TFTP server.

      I'm hoping there's some other ideas for me to try in order to get
      this file on my slug so that I can unbrick it. To be this close to
      fixing it yet unable to load the firmware is .... frustrating.

      Thanks in advance for other help.
      -Chuck
    • jncharli - tele2
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 12, 2005
        Hello Chuck,

        I met the same issue on my bricked NSLU2.

        Once connected through Telnet to RedBoot, I was able to ping my NSLU2 from
        my desktop, but not to establish a TFTP session with it (« operation time
        out »).

        As I am using a home routeur (Linksys) to connect my desktop and the NSLU2,
        I remembered that all equipment must be in the same adressing scheme that
        the NSLU2, even the router.

        In other words, you must change IP adress of your desktop AND your router,
        in order for them to have an adress like 192.168.0.x.

        If you do that, the TFTP should work.

        Try and tell me…

        JN

        _____

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • tonymy01
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 12, 2005
          I tried everything to get TFTP working with my setup (changing ip addresses on 2nd nic card etc etc) and didn't have any luck.

          I even setup my router to have an ip address of 192.168.0.2 so there was no clash with the redbooted SLUG, and still the tftp method wouldn't work.

          So instead, I followed this procedure twice with no problems:
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RecoverFromABadFlash
          but put the image on my webserver:
          "RedBoot also supports HTTP in addition to TFTP. All you have to do is add -m http to the load command and specify a full path (from the doc root) to the file you want ('/firm/myfirmware.bin', for example). "

          --
          Cheers
          Tonymy01

          ---- jncharli - tele2 <jncharli@...> wrote:

[...]

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Gerald L. Clark
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 12, 2005
            cjurwiler wrote:

            > Hi there,
            >
            > I'm trying to unbrick my NSLU2 which died I tried to upgrade to R29.
            > I have followed the instructions on nslu2-linux.org to get a RedBoot
            > prompt and can successfully see the slug on 192.168.0.1. I have set
            > up a TFTP server on 192.168.0.100 and I can access it from another
            > box and even download a file from it.
            >
            > But when I try to download the firmware from my TFTP server, I get:
            > Can't load 'NSLU2_V23R25.bin': operation timed out
            >
            > My other idea is to use HTTP, so I'm going to make sure I've got a
            > web service running and give that a shot.
            >
            > This is from a WindowsXP machine using the SolarWinds TFTP server.
            >
            > I'm hoping there's some other ideas for me to try in order to get
            > this file on my slug so that I can unbrick it. To be this close to
            > fixing it yet unable to load the firmware is .... frustrating.
            >
            > Thanks in advance for other help.
            > -Chuck

            Make sure you are not using a 10M hub.
          • cjurwiler
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 13, 2005
              Thanks guys for the tips, but I don't have either of these problems
              as I'm using a direct cable connection from my laptop to the slug.

              I also tried to use HTTP instead of TFTP but the HTTP hangs with no
              progress.

              I can test retrieving the file the TFTP and HTTP stuff from another
              machine and they both work. Something in my connection to the slug
              just isn't quite right, even though I can telnet into it.

              Any other ideas?
              -Chuck
            • Robert Hammond
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 13, 2005
                In message <d3j9jk+1863@...>, cjurwiler <curwiler@...>
                writes

                >Thanks guys for the tips, but I don't have either of these problems
                >as I'm using a direct cable connection from my laptop to the slug.

                <Snip>
                When I trashed mine I eventually invested in a cross over cable for
                direct connection and used the SerComm Upgrade Utility, you can find
                the URL to this program on the Wiki at:-

                <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RecoverFromABadFlash>

                This has saved my slug from the trash bin twice with no ill effects.
                This utility seems to be able to re-flash a slug even through it seem
                totally dead.
                --
                Robert Hammond
                PGP:0x154144DA
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 21, 2005
                  Hi
                  I am in exactly the same boat. I can get to RedBoot without problems
                  put can't use tftp to transfer the file due to a timeout error (about
                  3 seconds). I have tried change my network ip's and tried a
                  crossover, but still no luck. I have just tried the Sercomm Upgrade
                  Utility and it does not find the brick. I haven't tried http yet as
                  I don't know how to set it up. Really stumped here. Any ideas from
                  the experts?
                  Tia
                  Chris

                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "cjurwiler" <curwiler@c...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi there,
                  >
                  > I'm trying to unbrick my NSLU2 which died I tried to upgrade to
                  R29.
                  > I have followed the instructions on nslu2-linux.org to get a
                  RedBoot
                  > prompt and can successfully see the slug on 192.168.0.1. I have set
                  > up a TFTP server on 192.168.0.100 and I can access it from another
                  > box and even download a file from it.
                  >
                  > But when I try to download the firmware from my TFTP server, I get:
                  > Can't load 'NSLU2_V23R25.bin': operation timed out
                  >
                  > My other idea is to use HTTP, so I'm going to make sure I've got a
                  > web service running and give that a shot.
                  >
                  > This is from a WindowsXP machine using the SolarWinds TFTP server.
                  >
                  > I'm hoping there's some other ideas for me to try in order to get
                  > this file on my slug so that I can unbrick it. To be this close to
                  > fixing it yet unable to load the firmware is .... frustrating.
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance for other help.
                  > -Chuck
                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 22, 2005
                    When using the Sercomm Upgrade utility type "upgrade" at the Redboot
                    prompt before searching for the brick. How do we get the
                    instructions changed at nslu2-linux.org to reflect this minor but
                    crucial change?
                    Chris

                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <chris_jjt@y...> wrote:

                    > Hi
                    > I am in exactly the same boat. I can get to RedBoot without
                    problems
                    > put can't use tftp to transfer the file due to a timeout error
                    (about
                    > 3 seconds). I have tried change my network ip's and tried a
                    > crossover, but still no luck. I have just tried the Sercomm
                    Upgrade
                    > Utility and it does not find the brick. I haven't tried http yet
                    as
                    > I don't know how to set it up. Really stumped here. Any ideas
                    from
                    > the experts?
                    > Tia
                    > Chris
                    >

                    > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "cjurwiler" <curwiler@c...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Hi there,
                    > >
                    > > I'm trying to unbrick my NSLU2 which died I tried to upgrade to
                    > R29.
                    > > I have followed the instructions on nslu2-linux.org to get a
                    > RedBoot
                    > > prompt and can successfully see the slug on 192.168.0.1. I have
                    set
                    > > up a TFTP server on 192.168.0.100 and I can access it from
                    another
                    > > box and even download a file from it.
                    > >
                    > > But when I try to download the firmware from my TFTP server, I
                    get:
                    > > Can't load 'NSLU2_V23R25.bin': operation timed out
                    > >
                    > > My other idea is to use HTTP, so I'm going to make sure I've got
                    > > web service running and give that a shot.
                    > >
                    > > This is from a WindowsXP machine using the SolarWinds TFTP
                    server.

                    > > I'm hoping there's some other ideas for me to try in order to get
                    > > this file on my slug so that I can unbrick it. To be this close
                    > > fixing it yet unable to load the firmware is .... frustrating.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks in advance for other help.
                    > > -Chuck
                  • Robert Hammond
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 22, 2005
                      In message <d4a964+3mhe@...>, Chris <chris_jjt@...>
                      writes

                      >When using the Sercomm Upgrade utility type "upgrade" at the Redboot
                      >prompt before searching for the brick. How do we get the
                      >instructions changed at nslu2-linux.org to reflect this minor but
                      >crucial change?
                      >Chris

                      Wiki pages are easily amended, just click on the Edit link at the
                      bottom of the page, change the text as required, pre-view your changes
                      and then save.
                      --
                      Robert Hammond
                      PGP:0x154144DA
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 28, 2005
                        Gents:

                        I'm no expert, but I had the same problem and successfully unbricked
                        my nslu2 with http. I had Apache installed on my computer, and tried
                        http out of deperation. I put the firmware in Apache's document root
                        (see httpd.conf to find that directory if you don't know already),
                        then I did the following:

                        first, get into RedBoot - you already know how
                        telnet 192.168.0.1 9000

                        then give it the address of my http server (fixed ip on my computer)
                        ip_address -h 192.168.0.2

                        Download and set up Ethereal to ensure that the download actually
                        happens, then close your eyes and issue the following. DO NOT use the
                        -v option to display the dorky spinner as that interrupts the normal
                        flow. Instead, rely on Etherreal to verify the download.
                        load -r -m http -h 192.168.0.2 -b 0x01000000
                        \\unslung-standard-3.18-beta.bin

                        Close your eyes and issue this command to flash the firmware.
                        fis write -f 0x50060000 -b 0x01060000 -l 0x7a0000

                        That did it for me. Good luck,

                        David

                        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <chris_jjt@y...> wrote:

                        > Hi
                        > I am in exactly the same boat. I can get to RedBoot without problems
                        > put can't use tftp to transfer the file due to a timeout error (about
                        > 3 seconds). I have tried change my network ip's and tried a
                        > crossover, but still no luck. I have just tried the Sercomm Upgrade
                        > Utility and it does not find the brick. I haven't tried http yet as
                        > I don't know how to set it up. Really stumped here. Any ideas from
                        > the experts?
                        > Tia
                        > Chris
                        >

                        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "cjurwiler" <curwiler@c...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Hi there,
                        > >
                        > > I'm trying to unbrick my NSLU2 which died I tried to upgrade to
                        > R29.
                        > > I have followed the instructions on nslu2-linux.org to get a
                        > RedBoot
                        > > prompt and can successfully see the slug on 192.168.0.1. I have set
                        > > up a TFTP server on 192.168.0.100 and I can access it from another
                        > > box and even download a file from it.
                        > >
                        > > But when I try to download the firmware from my TFTP server, I get:
                        > > Can't load 'NSLU2_V23R25.bin': operation timed out
                        > >
                        > > My other idea is to use HTTP, so I'm going to make sure I've got a
                        > > web service running and give that a shot.
                        > >
                        > > This is from a WindowsXP machine using the SolarWinds TFTP server.
                        > >
                        > > I'm hoping there's some other ideas for me to try in order to get
                        > > this file on my slug so that I can unbrick it. To be this close to
                        > > fixing it yet unable to load the firmware is .... frustrating.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks in advance for other help.
                        > > -Chuck
                      • cjurwiler
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                          Well, gang, after a long time of not being able to try anything, I
                          finally got around to working on my slug again.

                          Thankfully, I was able to unbrick it - this time, I used a crossover
                          cable instead of a straight one and that seemed to do the trick. I
                          used the sercomm upgrade utility and this time it found the device no
                          problem, allowing me to restore the R25 firmware.

                          Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully this will help others with
                          the same problem.

                          -Chuck