Poll: Metalog RIP?

  • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11 11:26 AM
      Dear All,

      As maintainer of Metalog I'm considering retiring this package from the
      Unslung CVS repo. Since syslog-ng, which seem superior in most respects (the
      only exception would be ease of configuration I would say), is available,
      there seem to be little need for it. I have a two-fold suggestion as I'm not
      really sure about retirement of packages:

      1: One or more half-hearted protests: I change packages maintainer to
      nslu2-linux and let other people do whatever work is needed (not much I
      would say, as Metalog seems to be a dead package). This means that Metalog
      will stay in the feed.

      2: No protests: Remove it from the master Makefile, but keep the .mk and
      other files. This means that Metalog will be gone from the feed soon.

      Note that metaprotests (protests against the proposal itself) also counts.
      The main motivation here is to demote inferior software (no troll intended)
      as well as trying to promote a streamlined set of replacement SW in the
      Unslung environment. It would also reduce the steadily increasing compile
      time for the CVS repo packages.

      Step forward now or forever hold your peace.

      best,

      -- Inge