slow transfers?

  • markpytlik
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 4, 2004
      hi guys --

      i bought an nslu2 today in order to be able to access my two external
      usb 2.0 hard drives wirelessly. i didn't realize beforehand that i'd
      have to change the file formats on the drives in order to use them, so
      i moved all of the content from the first drive (which was half full)
      over to the second. then i formatted the first drive using the express
      setup cd that came with the item. (i'm on windows xp sp2). so far so
      good - i've got one usb 2.0 drive (full) attached to my laptop and one
      visible on the network. i figured since everything was usb 2.0 it
      wouldn't take long to move files from the one drive over to the
      network one, but boy was i wrong! it's taking about an hour to move 2
      gigs. considering that i've got about 160 gigs of content to move
      around, this is becoming an issue.

      is it generally accepted that the nslu2 means a slower transfer time,
      or am i doing something horribly wrong?

      thanks,

      mark
    • polarisdbs
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 4, 2004
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "markpytlik" <mark.pytlik@r...>
        wrote:
        > is it generally accepted that the nslu2 means a slower transfer
        time,
        > or am i doing something horribly wrong?

        Do you have a huge amount of small files or something?

        With the throughput rates that I've been seeing, it would probably
        take about 13 hours to transfer ~160 GB to my NSLU2.
      • markpytlik
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 4, 2004
          > Do you have a huge amount of small files or something?
          >
          > With the throughput rates that I've been seeing, it would probably
          > take about 13 hours to transfer ~160 GB to my NSLU2.

          nope, this is going WAY slower than that. it's almost like it's at usb
          1.1 speed instead of 2.0. i have windows xp with sp2 - does anyone
          have any idea why this might be happening?

          mark
        • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 4, 2004
            > > Do you have a huge amount of small files or something?
            > >
            > > With the throughput rates that I've been seeing, it would probably
            > > take about 13 hours to transfer ~160 GB to my NSLU2.
            >
            > nope, this is going WAY slower than that. it's almost like it's at usb
            > 1.1 speed instead of 2.0. i have windows xp with sp2 - does anyone
            > have any idea why this might be happening?

            There are current issues with the stock linksys firmware around how Ethernet
            is initializing. Best-guesses so far, from those that are looking at the
            logs on eth0 negotiation that with certain hubs and switches, the NSLU2
            won't be able to operate at full duplex, and reverts to half-duplex.

            Which severely cripples transfer speeds. It's been discussed several times
            on this, and the nslu2-linux group.

            I'd just hold off for now till a better firmware is released to fix the
            problem. If you want to try and fix now, use a different switch on your
            network. See the database section of the yahoogroup to see what kinds of
            hubs/switches have been tested, and how they were working.

            HTH
            David Troesch
          • Abene Pete
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 5, 2004
              do not forget that the cables need to usb2.0 -- this
              can make a big diference..
              --- markpytlik <mark.pytlik@...> wrote:

              > > Do you have a huge amount of small files or
              > something?
              > >
              > > With the throughput rates that I've been seeing,
              > it would probably
              > > take about 13 hours to transfer ~160 GB to my
              > NSLU2.
              >
              > nope, this is going WAY slower than that. it's
              > almost like it's at usb
              > 1.1 speed instead of 2.0. i have windows xp with sp2
              > - does anyone
              > have any idea why this might be happening?
              >
              > mark

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • markpytlik
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 5, 2004
                Yup, I've got USB 2.0 cables, so I guess, as David suggested, it's a
                firmware issue. That's disappointing, hope they get it rectified soon.

                Mark

                > do not forget that the cables need to usb2.0 -- this
                > can make a big diference..
                > --- markpytlik <mark.pytlik@r...> wrote:
                >

                > > > Do you have a huge amount of small files or
                > > something?
                > > >
                > > > With the throughput rates that I've been seeing,
                > > it would probably
                > > > take about 13 hours to transfer ~160 GB to my
                > > NSLU2.
                > >
                > > nope, this is going WAY slower than that. it's
                > > almost like it's at usb
                > > 1.1 speed instead of 2.0. i have windows xp with sp2
                > > - does anyone
                > > have any idea why this might be happening?
                > >
                > > mark

                > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              • icole2112
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 6, 2004
                  "wirelessly"

                  Unless I misunderstand what you are doing, you are dragging all the
                  data over your wireless link from one drive, then rewriting it on the
                  other drive.

                  Here are some options:
                  1) Go hard-wired for the transfer - 100mbps will be _better_ but still
                  not optimal...
                  2) Have the NSL copy it for you - use the "backup shares" - this will
                  keep the data local to the NSL without some of the involvement of the
                  built in "mirroring" - Just create shares on the 2nd drive, setup the
                  backup, and tell it to start manually.
                  3) Get telnet and do the copying directly on the NSL - no network

                  wrote:

                  > hi guys --
                  >
                  > i bought an nslu2 today in order to be able to access my two external
                  > usb 2.0 hard drives wirelessly. i didn't realize beforehand that i'd
                  > have to change the file formats on the drives in order to use them, so
                  > i moved all of the content from the first drive (which was half full)
                  > over to the second. then i formatted the first drive using the express
                  > setup cd that came with the item. (i'm on windows xp sp2). so far so
                  > good - i've got one usb 2.0 drive (full) attached to my laptop and one
                  > visible on the network. i figured since everything was usb 2.0 it
                  > wouldn't take long to move files from the one drive over to the
                  > network one, but boy was i wrong! it's taking about an hour to move 2
                  > gigs. considering that i've got about 160 gigs of content to move
                  > around, this is becoming an issue.
                  >
                  > is it generally accepted that the nslu2 means a slower transfer time,
                  > or am i doing something horribly wrong?
                  >
                  > thanks,
                  >
                  > mark
                • Mark Pytlik
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 6, 2004
                    sorry, let me back up and explain. i have two external usb 2.0 hard drives,
                    a d-link 614+ router, and an nslu2. my laptop is getting its signal
                    wirelessly, the nslu2 is plugged into port 1 of the router, and one hard
                    drive (ntfs) is plugged into the laptop while the other (ext3) is plugged
                    into the nslu2. i'm trying to move everything from the ntfs hard drive over
                    to the ext3 one so that i can format the ntfs drive and serve it wirelessly
                    as well, unfortunately my transfer times between the laptop and the nslu2
                    are 400k/s, which means that 160 gig is going to take somewhere in the range
                    of 100+ hours to transfer. that seems kind of ridiculous to me, and still
                    about 5x slower than the slowest nslu2 user reports i've read so far.

                    so i guess my problem now is that i don't know if i want to invest all of
                    that time if it means that i'm going to have such a slow network. i
                    appreciate your suggestions, but i'm ideally looking for ways to increase
                    the overall speed here. although i've done a lot of reading that indicates
                    speed is an issue with this product, i've never heard of anyone having to
                    wait as long as i have. someone on another website said it might be a duplex
                    issue (ie. the nslu2 and my router aren't negotiating at the same speeds),
                    but i've looked everywhere and i don't know where i would change these
                    settings...

                    _____

                    wrote:

                    > hi guys --
                    >
                    > i bought an nslu2 today in order to be able to access my two external
                    > usb 2.0 hard drives wirelessly. i didn't realize beforehand that i'd
                    > have to change the file formats on the drives in order to use them, so
                    > i moved all of the content from the first drive (which was half full)
                    > over to the second. then i formatted the first drive using the express
                    > setup cd that came with the item. (i'm on windows xp sp2). so far so
                    > good - i've got one usb 2.0 drive (full) attached to my laptop and one
                    > visible on the network. i figured since everything was usb 2.0 it
                    > wouldn't take long to move files from the one drive over to the
                    > network one, but boy was i wrong! it's taking about an hour to move 2
                    > gigs. considering that i've got about 160 gigs of content to move
                    > around, this is becoming an issue.
                    >
                    > is it generally accepted that the nslu2 means a slower transfer time,
                    > or am i doing something horribly wrong?
                    >
                    > thanks,
                    >
                    > mark

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1296gbrbg/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=gr
                    oups/S=1705005378:HM/EXP=1094558569/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*http://www.
                    netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298> click here

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=
                    :HM/A=2319498/rand=442895104>

                    _____

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                  • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 6, 2004
                      > sorry, let me back up and explain. i have two external usb
                      > 2.0 hard drives,
                      > a d-link 614+ router, and an nslu2.

                      <snip>

                      If you want to just do a one-time file copy over to the drive, I'd just try
                      a cd-based linux distro that has an NTFS driver. Knoppix popes to the top of
                      the list there.

                      IMO right now the NSLU2 is horribly crippled with the existing linksys
                      firmware. Bad Ethernet support, poor drive read-write speeds, errors with
                      firmware flashing, drives become unformatted to the NSLU2 requiring
                      formatting of the drive again (won't work natively, you have to take the
                      drive, and remove the EXT3 partitions on another system before the format
                      will succeed, scandisk fails with no error code or reason, intermittent
                      network drop-offs when transferring larger files over the network (causing
                      file corruption) etc.

                      The UNSLUNG firmware is going thru it's final testing now. Once that is
                      done, you will be able to load the NSLU2 off a Linux distro on the HDD. At
                      that point, we'll have better support all-around. I'd wait till we are at
                      that place if the data on your NTFS drive is important to you.

                      My $0.02
                      David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
                      Carpe Diem - "Seize the Day"
                      Funstuff: 90% of the time I'm right, so why worry about the other 3%?
                    • icole2112
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 6, 2004
                        I know my transfer times are hideous with wireless (using built-in
                        802.11b) - is this a one time need (copying very large datasets) or
                        will you need to do this on a regular basis?

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 6, 2004
                          > I know my transfer times are hideous with wireless (using built-in
                          > 802.11b) - is this a one time need (copying very large datasets) or
                          > will you need to do this on a regular basis?
                          <snip>

                          You recently posted this message to the nslu2-linux group, with a short
                          reply ontop of a long unedited previous message. Please clean your E-mails
                          before sending them to the group. Please use this tutorial on how to do that
                          with 5-10 seconds of keystrokes.

                          http://www.pcrei.com/ppro/winks/tutorial_display.php?id=3

                          Your help with keeping the group clean is most appreciated.

                          Thanks,
                          David Troesch
                        • David
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 6, 2004
                            <snip>
                            > You recently posted this message to the nslu2-general group, with a
                            short
                            > reply ontop of a long unedited previous message.

                            <snip>

                            Whoops...I did mean to make that an off-group message (realized just
                            after I hit the send button), but please use this as a general
                            reminder to edit your messages.

                            Thanks,
                            David Troesch
                            Group Moderator
                          • Mark Pytlik
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 6, 2004
                              Well, theoretically I'd never have to do a transfer this large again, but
                              the thought of 400k/s in ANY configuration is enough to make me rethink the
                              setup...

                              _____

                              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129pnus79/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=gr
                              oups/S=1705005378:HM/EXP=1094575356/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*http://www.
                              netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298> click here

                              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=
                              :HM/A=2319498/rand=668559947>

                              _____

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                            • jtabar
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 10, 2004
                                In my experience, it is important to make sure that a NIC is set to
                                the same setting as the port on the switch. So if you have an
                                unmanaged switch where all the ports are set to autodetect, you also
                                need to set the NIC to autodetect. I have a 3Com NIC with a broadcom
                                chip running in a RedHat Linux box, and I had to change the link speed
                                and duplex to autodetect, because it was running VERY slowly when I
                                had it set to 100/full.

                                Is there a way to change the link speed and duplex of the NIC in the
                                NSLU2??
                              • Mark Pytlik
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 10, 2004
                                  Is a switch the same as a router? Does anyone know if I can change the link
                                  speed of an individual port on a D-Link 614+ router?

                                  on 9/10/2004 11:07 AM, jtabar at jtabar@... wrote:

                                  In my experience, it is important to make sure that a NIC is set to
                                  the same setting as the port on the switch. So if you have an
                                  unmanaged switch where all the ports are set to autodetect, you also
                                  need to set the NIC to autodetect. I have a 3Com NIC with a broadcom
                                  chip running in a RedHat Linux box, and I had to change the link speed
                                  and duplex to autodetect, because it was running VERY slowly when I
                                  had it set to 100/full.

                                  Is there a way to change the link speed and duplex of the NIC in the
                                  NSLU2??

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  To visit your group on the web, go to:

                                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                • Stuart Stegall
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 10, 2004
                                    Some consumer "routers" have hubs or switches built in to them. Switches and routers are a rather complicated situtation.
                                    Basically what most people call routers are devices that made decisions based on Layer 3 networking information and what most people
                                    call switches are devices that make decisions based on Layer 2 networking. Most consumer routers come with 4 ports that may be
                                    arranged as a switch or a hub (which is simply a layer 2 repeater that simple interconnects the ports). They typically do not let
                                    you specifiy any settings. In reality there is NO reason that turning off autodetection would make any difference unless your card
                                    is not autodetecting the correct setting. There are a few broken cards around that don't like autodetect mode and a few others that
                                    will report to the kernel that they have negotiated 100baseTX when in reality they have not done so. You can usually tell based on
                                    the lights on the switch/hub. Another thing to note is that the NSLU2 has issues with full duplex with many hubs and switches. It
                                    works with my Linksys 16 port switch buy not my Linksys router's builtin 4port switch. I would think that if all of the parts were
                                    in good working order you should be able to get 10MB/s. I am able to get 11.56MB/s. At some point there will be Gigabit USB2
                                    adapters and we'll be able to get faster connectivity ... We can probably at that point get close to hard drive speeds.