Re: [nslu2-general] Sharing the / directory

  • Per-Olof Litby - Practice Mgr - Software
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 8, 2005
      Gerald L. Clark wrote:

      > grundet wrote:
      > >

      > > Greetings,
      > >
      > > I'm successfully running Unslung on my NSLU2. However, using a telnet
      > > client to edit config files etc. is a bit kludgy so I'd like to be
      > > able to connect to the root directory from a Windows machine so I can
      > > use Windows editors, etc. to modify configuration files etc.
      > This is almost guaranteed to break the NSLU2.
      > Linux config files are often not compatible with Windows editors.
      > Even in text mode, windows will add unwanted carriage returns.

      Understand. Now, is there an Emacs version for the NSLU2?

      :-)
    • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 8, 2005
        > This is almost guaranteed to break the NSLU2.
        > Linux config files are often not compatible with Windows
        > editors. Even in text mode, windows will add unwanted
        > carriage returns.

        At least this is not a problem with xemacs on XP. If the file opened is has
        EOL=LF rather than EOL=CR-LF, then it will save the file accordingly. I
        guess modern editors in general knows how to do this. As long as they open
        files as binary, Windows cannot add or remove anything.

        best,

        -- Inge
      • Rod Whitby
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 8, 2005
          On Apr 8, 2005 10:10 PM, Per-Olof Litby - Practice Mgr - Software -
          Central/North Europe - Sun Microsystems <politby@...> wrote:
          > Understand. Now, is there an Emacs version for the NSLU2?

          Yes, both emacs and xemacs run on the slug and are in the ipkg native
          feed, so you can take your pick :-)

          -- rod
        • Per-Olof Litby - Practice Mgr - Software
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 8, 2005
            Rod Whitby wrote:

            > On Apr 8, 2005 10:10 PM, Per-Olof Litby - Practice Mgr - Software -
            > Central/North Europe - Sun Microsystems <politby@...> wrote:
            > > Understand. Now, is there an Emacs version for the NSLU2?
            >
            > Yes, both emacs and xemacs run on the slug and are in the ipkg native
            > feed, so you can take your pick :-)
            >
            > -- rod

            Where can I find it? "ipkg list" shows no emacs...

            /POL
          • Bengt Nyman
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 9, 2005
              I installed OpenSSH and use WinSCPfrom my XP client.
              http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

              It will give you a explorer like window to explore your slug and it
              has a internal editor to use for editing config-files etc.

              /Bengt

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
                Bengt Nyman wrote:

                > I installed OpenSSH and use WinSCPfrom my XP client.
                > http://winscp.net/eng/index.php
                >
                > It will give you a explorer like window to explore your slug and it
                > has a internal editor to use for editing config-files etc.
                >
                > /Bengt

                Hej!

                tack för svaret. Men vad behöver man installera på "sluggen" för att
                kunna köra SCP?

                mvh, P-O

                --

                *Per-Olof Litby <mailto:politby@...>
                *Practice Mgr - Web Services/Identity

                <http://www.sun.com/software/javaenterprisesystem/>
              • Bengt Nyman
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Per-Olof Litby - Practice Mgr -
                  Software - Central/North Europe - Sun Microsystems <politby@s...> wrote:
                  > Bengt Nyman wrote:
                  >

                  > > I installed OpenSSH and use WinSCPfrom my XP client.
                  > > http://winscp.net/eng/index.php
                  > >
                  > > It will give you a explorer like window to explore your slug and it
                  > > has a internal editor to use for editing config-files etc.
                  > >
                  > > /Bengt
                  >
                  > Hej!
                  >
                  > tack för svaret. Men vad behöver man installera på "sluggen" för att
                  > kunna köra SCP?
                  >
                  > mvh, P-O

                  Jag har bara installerat en SSH-server, OpenSSH. Provade med Dropbear
                  men det fungerade inte särkilt bra med SCP. Du installerar den genom
                  att skriva "ipkg install openssh".

                  mvh Bengt

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
                    My apologies for sending a non-English message to the list. Slip of the
                    keyboard!

                    /POL

                    --

                  • janne@sfe.se
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
                      När du lagt in unslung-firmwaren är det bara att köra:
                      ipkg update
                      ipkg install openssh

                      /Janne