AW: [nslu2-general] Bare USB External Drive

  • roland.krebs@freesurf.ch
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 8, 2005
      Hello Pink

      I bought a NSLU2 a week ago, plus a Freecom external drive, which did NOT
      work. To be on the safe side I bought a Maxtor OneTouch 160GB, which runs
      perfectly.
      regards
      roland
      >-- Originalnachricht --
      >To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
      >From: Pink Bikini <pinkini@...>
      >Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:26:32 +0100
      >Subject: [nslu2-general] Bare USB External Drive

      ><tt>
      ><BR>
      >I received my shiny new NSLU2UK (a UK Slug) today - all the usual thing,
      ><BR>
      >shame about the ext3 blah blah blah. I was planning on getting a new <BR>
      >external USB drive anyway so its not so much of an issue, i was thinking
      ><BR>
      >of getting a bare external USB caddy and the drive separately, as this <BR>
      >seems to be the cheapest way of doing things. But I've been reading <BR>
      >around a bit and now im a bit worried that if i do this then it may not
      <BR>
      >be compatible with the NSLU2UK. Does anyone have any reccomendations <BR>
      >along these lines.. a good combination of drive and caddy? If not i <BR>
      >guess i can always get the Maxtor 1-touch.<BR>
      ><BR>
      >Many thanks in advance<BR>
      ><BR>
      ><BR>
      ><BR>
      ><BR>
      ><BR>
      ></tt>
      >

      ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

      ><tt><hr width="500">
      ><ul>

      Terms of Service</a>.
      ></ul>
      ></tt>
      >
      ><!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

      sunrise ADSL: gratis und so sicher wie noch nie
      http://www.sunrise.ch/home/proint/proint_ads-2.htm
    • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 8, 2005
        There is a database on the Yahoo-area with enclosures and their status vs.
        NSLU2. I use Sweex enclosures with Samsung and Maxtor drivers and have no
        problems. Note: AFAIK only the Maxtor OneTouch-series support disk spindown,
        so if you plan to have a quiet system and will have long periods of
        inactivity this is perhaps a good solution? The USB spindown problem has
        been around so long that I start doubting that it can be done on plain
        USB<->IDE systems.

        best,

        -- Inge

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 8, 2005
          Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen wrote:
          > There is a database on the Yahoo-area with enclosures and their status vs.
          > NSLU2. I use Sweex enclosures with Samsung and Maxtor drivers and have no
          > problems. Note: AFAIK only the Maxtor OneTouch-series support disk spindown,
          > so if you plan to have a quiet system and will have long periods of
          > inactivity this is perhaps a good solution? The USB spindown problem has
          > been around so long that I start doubting that it can be done on plain
          > USB<->IDE systems.
          >
          > best,
          >
          > -- Inge

          My Western digital 120G external USB drives spin down automatically.
          Someone reported a few days ago that their Seagate drives did as well.
          These are all factory built externals, not drives added to empty cases.
        • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 8, 2005
            I stand corrected. My point was having generic spin down initiated by the
            NSLU2 rather than having an enclosure/disk with idle-detection (which would
            be good as well). I would welcome any explanation why this (performing HD
            spin down through IDE) is difficult.

            best,

            -- Inge