RE: [nslu2-general] Sharing the / directory

  • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 8, 2005
      Yes - there is an smb.conf in /etc/samba that you can modify and then signal
      smbd to reread it. Note that the smb.conf is normally cleaned on every
      reboot, so you should make a diversion script to reapply the modifications
      like done on the wiki page for CUPS.

      best,

      -- Inge

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 8, 2005
        grundet wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > I'm successfully running Unslung on my NSLU2. However, using a telnet
        > client to edit config files etc. is a bit kludgy so I'd like to be
        > able to connect to the root directory from a Windows machine so I can
        > use Windows editors, etc. to modify configuration files etc.
        This is almost guaranteed to break the NSLU2.
        Linux config files are often not compatible with Windows editors.
        Even in text mode, windows will add unwanted carriage returns.

        > What's the best way to do this - is there the equivalent of an
        > smb.conf file somewhere that can be modified?
        >
        > thanks ahead,
        > /POL
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Per-Olof Litby - Practice Mgr - Software
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 8, 2005
          Gerald L. Clark wrote:

          > grundet wrote:
          > >

          > > Greetings,
          > >
          > > I'm successfully running Unslung on my NSLU2. However, using a telnet
          > > client to edit config files etc. is a bit kludgy so I'd like to be
          > > able to connect to the root directory from a Windows machine so I can
          > > use Windows editors, etc. to modify configuration files etc.
          > This is almost guaranteed to break the NSLU2.
          > Linux config files are often not compatible with Windows editors.
          > Even in text mode, windows will add unwanted carriage returns.

          Understand. Now, is there an Emacs version for the NSLU2?

          :-)
        • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 8, 2005
            > This is almost guaranteed to break the NSLU2.
            > Linux config files are often not compatible with Windows
            > editors. Even in text mode, windows will add unwanted
            > carriage returns.

            At least this is not a problem with xemacs on XP. If the file opened is has
            EOL=LF rather than EOL=CR-LF, then it will save the file accordingly. I
            guess modern editors in general knows how to do this. As long as they open
            files as binary, Windows cannot add or remove anything.

            best,

            -- Inge
          • Rod Whitby
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 8, 2005
              On Apr 8, 2005 10:10 PM, Per-Olof Litby - Practice Mgr - Software -
              Central/North Europe - Sun Microsystems <politby@...> wrote:
              > Understand. Now, is there an Emacs version for the NSLU2?

              Yes, both emacs and xemacs run on the slug and are in the ipkg native
              feed, so you can take your pick :-)

              -- rod
            • Per-Olof Litby - Practice Mgr - Software
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 8, 2005
                Rod Whitby wrote:

                > On Apr 8, 2005 10:10 PM, Per-Olof Litby - Practice Mgr - Software -
                > Central/North Europe - Sun Microsystems <politby@...> wrote:
                > > Understand. Now, is there an Emacs version for the NSLU2?
                >
                > Yes, both emacs and xemacs run on the slug and are in the ipkg native
                > feed, so you can take your pick :-)
                >
                > -- rod

                Where can I find it? "ipkg list" shows no emacs...

                /POL
              • Bengt Nyman
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 9, 2005
                  I installed OpenSSH and use WinSCPfrom my XP client.
                  http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

                  It will give you a explorer like window to explore your slug and it
                  has a internal editor to use for editing config-files etc.

                  /Bengt

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
                    Bengt Nyman wrote:

                    > I installed OpenSSH and use WinSCPfrom my XP client.
                    > http://winscp.net/eng/index.php
                    >
                    > It will give you a explorer like window to explore your slug and it
                    > has a internal editor to use for editing config-files etc.
                    >
                    > /Bengt

                    Hej!

                    tack för svaret. Men vad behöver man installera på "sluggen" för att
                    kunna köra SCP?

                    mvh, P-O

                    --

                    *Per-Olof Litby <mailto:politby@...>
                    *Practice Mgr - Web Services/Identity

                    <http://www.sun.com/software/javaenterprisesystem/>
                  • Bengt Nyman
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Per-Olof Litby - Practice Mgr -
                      Software - Central/North Europe - Sun Microsystems <politby@s...> wrote:
                      > Bengt Nyman wrote:
                      >

                      > > I installed OpenSSH and use WinSCPfrom my XP client.
                      > > http://winscp.net/eng/index.php
                      > >
                      > > It will give you a explorer like window to explore your slug and it
                      > > has a internal editor to use for editing config-files etc.
                      > >
                      > > /Bengt
                      >
                      > Hej!
                      >
                      > tack för svaret. Men vad behöver man installera på "sluggen" för att
                      > kunna köra SCP?
                      >
                      > mvh, P-O

                      Jag har bara installerat en SSH-server, OpenSSH. Provade med Dropbear
                      men det fungerade inte särkilt bra med SCP. Du installerar den genom
                      att skriva "ipkg install openssh".

                      mvh Bengt

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
                        My apologies for sending a non-English message to the list. Slip of the
                        keyboard!

                        /POL

                        --

                      • janne@sfe.se
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
                          När du lagt in unslung-firmwaren är det bara att köra:
                          ipkg update
                          ipkg install openssh

                          /Janne