Bare USB External Drive

  • Pink Bikini
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2005
      I received my shiny new NSLU2UK (a UK Slug) today - all the usual thing,
      shame about the ext3 blah blah blah. I was planning on getting a new
      external USB drive anyway so its not so much of an issue, i was thinking
      of getting a bare external USB caddy and the drive separately, as this
      seems to be the cheapest way of doing things. But I've been reading
      around a bit and now im a bit worried that if i do this then it may not
      be compatible with the NSLU2UK. Does anyone have any reccomendations
      along these lines.. a good combination of drive and caddy? If not i
      guess i can always get the Maxtor 1-touch.

      Many thanks in advance
    • roland.krebs@freesurf.ch
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 8, 2005
        Hello Pink

        I bought a NSLU2 a week ago, plus a Freecom external drive, which did NOT
        work. To be on the safe side I bought a Maxtor OneTouch 160GB, which runs
        perfectly.
        regards
        roland
        >-- Originalnachricht --
        >To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
        >From: Pink Bikini <pinkini@...>
        >Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:26:32 +0100
        >Subject: [nslu2-general] Bare USB External Drive

        ><tt>
        ><BR>
        >I received my shiny new NSLU2UK (a UK Slug) today - all the usual thing,
        ><BR>
        >shame about the ext3 blah blah blah. I was planning on getting a new <BR>
        >external USB drive anyway so its not so much of an issue, i was thinking
        ><BR>
        >of getting a bare external USB caddy and the drive separately, as this <BR>
        >seems to be the cheapest way of doing things. But I've been reading <BR>
        >around a bit and now im a bit worried that if i do this then it may not
        <BR>
        >be compatible with the NSLU2UK. Does anyone have any reccomendations <BR>
        >along these lines.. a good combination of drive and caddy? If not i <BR>
        >guess i can always get the Maxtor 1-touch.<BR>
        ><BR>
        >Many thanks in advance<BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        ><BR>
        ></tt>
        >

        ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

        ><tt><hr width="500">
        ><ul>

        Terms of Service</a>.
        ></ul>
        ></tt>
        >
        ><!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

        sunrise ADSL: gratis und so sicher wie noch nie
        http://www.sunrise.ch/home/proint/proint_ads-2.htm
      • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 8, 2005
          There is a database on the Yahoo-area with enclosures and their status vs.
          NSLU2. I use Sweex enclosures with Samsung and Maxtor drivers and have no
          problems. Note: AFAIK only the Maxtor OneTouch-series support disk spindown,
          so if you plan to have a quiet system and will have long periods of
          inactivity this is perhaps a good solution? The USB spindown problem has
          been around so long that I start doubting that it can be done on plain
          USB<->IDE systems.

          best,

          -- Inge

          > I received my shiny new NSLU2UK (a UK Slug) today - all
          > the usual thing, shame about the ext3 blah blah blah. I
          > was planning on getting a new external USB drive anyway
          > so its not so much of an issue, i was thinking of getting
          > a bare external USB caddy and the drive separately, as
          > this seems to be the cheapest way of doing things. But
          > I've been reading around a bit and now im a bit worried
          > that if i do this then it may not be compatible with the
          > NSLU2UK. Does anyone have any reccomendations along these
          > lines.. a good combination of drive and caddy? If not i
          > guess i can always get the Maxtor 1-touch.
          >
          > Many thanks in advance
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Gerald L. Clark
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 8, 2005
            Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen wrote:
            > There is a database on the Yahoo-area with enclosures and their status vs.
            > NSLU2. I use Sweex enclosures with Samsung and Maxtor drivers and have no
            > problems. Note: AFAIK only the Maxtor OneTouch-series support disk spindown,
            > so if you plan to have a quiet system and will have long periods of
            > inactivity this is perhaps a good solution? The USB spindown problem has
            > been around so long that I start doubting that it can be done on plain
            > USB<->IDE systems.
            >
            > best,
            >
            > -- Inge

            My Western digital 120G external USB drives spin down automatically.
            Someone reported a few days ago that their Seagate drives did as well.
            These are all factory built externals, not drives added to empty cases.
          • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 8, 2005
              I stand corrected. My point was having generic spin down initiated by the
              NSLU2 rather than having an enclosure/disk with idle-detection (which would
              be good as well). I would welcome any explanation why this (performing HD
              spin down through IDE) is difficult.

              best,

              -- Inge