Sharing the / directory

  • grundet
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 6 2:59 AM
      Greetings,

      I'm successfully running Unslung on my NSLU2. However, using a telnet
      client to edit config files etc. is a bit kludgy so I'd like to be
      able to connect to the root directory from a Windows machine so I can
      use Windows editors, etc. to modify configuration files etc.

      What's the best way to do this - is there the equivalent of an
      smb.conf file somewhere that can be modified?

      thanks ahead,
      /POL
    • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 8 4:46 AM
        Yes - there is an smb.conf in /etc/samba that you can modify and then signal
        smbd to reread it. Note that the smb.conf is normally cleaned on every
        reboot, so you should make a diversion script to reapply the modifications
        like done on the wiki page for CUPS.

        best,

        -- Inge

        > I'm successfully running Unslung on my NSLU2. However,
        > using a telnet client to edit config files etc. is a bit
        > kludgy so I'd like to be able to connect to the root
        > directory from a Windows machine so I can use Windows
        > editors, etc. to modify configuration files etc.
        >
        > What's the best way to do this - is there the equivalent
        > of an smb.conf file somewhere that can be modified?
        >
        > thanks ahead,
        > /POL
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Gerald L. Clark
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 8 4:52 AM
          grundet wrote:

          > Greetings,
          >
          > I'm successfully running Unslung on my NSLU2. However, using a telnet
          > client to edit config files etc. is a bit kludgy so I'd like to be
          > able to connect to the root directory from a Windows machine so I can
          > use Windows editors, etc. to modify configuration files etc.
          This is almost guaranteed to break the NSLU2.
          Linux config files are often not compatible with Windows editors.
          Even in text mode, windows will add unwanted carriage returns.

          > What's the best way to do this - is there the equivalent of an
          > smb.conf file somewhere that can be modified?
          >
          > thanks ahead,
          > /POL
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Per-Olof Litby - Practice Mgr - Software
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 8 5:40 AM
            Gerald L. Clark wrote:

            > grundet wrote:
            > >

            > > Greetings,
            > >
            > > I'm successfully running Unslung on my NSLU2. However, using a telnet
            > > client to edit config files etc. is a bit kludgy so I'd like to be
            > > able to connect to the root directory from a Windows machine so I can
            > > use Windows editors, etc. to modify configuration files etc.
            > This is almost guaranteed to break the NSLU2.
            > Linux config files are often not compatible with Windows editors.
            > Even in text mode, windows will add unwanted carriage returns.

            Understand. Now, is there an Emacs version for the NSLU2?

            :-)
          • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 8 6:01 AM
              > This is almost guaranteed to break the NSLU2.
              > Linux config files are often not compatible with Windows
              > editors. Even in text mode, windows will add unwanted
              > carriage returns.

              At least this is not a problem with xemacs on XP. If the file opened is has
              EOL=LF rather than EOL=CR-LF, then it will save the file accordingly. I
              guess modern editors in general knows how to do this. As long as they open
              files as binary, Windows cannot add or remove anything.

              best,

              -- Inge
            • Rod Whitby
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 8 3:00 PM
                On Apr 8, 2005 10:10 PM, Per-Olof Litby - Practice Mgr - Software -
                Central/North Europe - Sun Microsystems <politby@...> wrote:
                > Understand. Now, is there an Emacs version for the NSLU2?

                Yes, both emacs and xemacs run on the slug and are in the ipkg native
                feed, so you can take your pick :-)

                -- rod
              • Per-Olof Litby - Practice Mgr - Software
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 8 3:54 PM
                  Rod Whitby wrote:

                  > On Apr 8, 2005 10:10 PM, Per-Olof Litby - Practice Mgr - Software -
                  > Central/North Europe - Sun Microsystems <politby@...> wrote:
                  > > Understand. Now, is there an Emacs version for the NSLU2?
                  >
                  > Yes, both emacs and xemacs run on the slug and are in the ipkg native
                  > feed, so you can take your pick :-)
                  >
                  > -- rod

                  Where can I find it? "ipkg list" shows no emacs...

                  /POL
                • Bengt Nyman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 9 3:54 AM
                    I installed OpenSSH and use WinSCPfrom my XP client.
                    http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

                    It will give you a explorer like window to explore your slug and it
                    has a internal editor to use for editing config-files etc.

                    /Bengt

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 11 4:39 AM
                      Bengt Nyman wrote:

                      > I installed OpenSSH and use WinSCPfrom my XP client.
                      > http://winscp.net/eng/index.php
                      >
                      > It will give you a explorer like window to explore your slug and it
                      > has a internal editor to use for editing config-files etc.
                      >
                      > /Bengt

                      Hej!

                      tack för svaret. Men vad behöver man installera på "sluggen" för att
                      kunna köra SCP?

                      mvh, P-O

                      --

                      *Per-Olof Litby <mailto:politby@...>
                      *Practice Mgr - Web Services/Identity

                      <http://www.sun.com/software/javaenterprisesystem/>
                    • Bengt Nyman
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 11 4:58 AM
                        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Per-Olof Litby - Practice Mgr -
                        Software - Central/North Europe - Sun Microsystems <politby@s...> wrote:
                        > Bengt Nyman wrote:
                        >

                        > > I installed OpenSSH and use WinSCPfrom my XP client.
                        > > http://winscp.net/eng/index.php
                        > >
                        > > It will give you a explorer like window to explore your slug and it
                        > > has a internal editor to use for editing config-files etc.
                        > >
                        > > /Bengt
                        >
                        > Hej!
                        >
                        > tack för svaret. Men vad behöver man installera på "sluggen" för att
                        > kunna köra SCP?
                        >
                        > mvh, P-O

                        Jag har bara installerat en SSH-server, OpenSSH. Provade med Dropbear
                        men det fungerade inte särkilt bra med SCP. Du installerar den genom
                        att skriva "ipkg install openssh".

                        mvh Bengt

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 11 5:56 AM
                          My apologies for sending a non-English message to the list. Slip of the
                          keyboard!

                          /POL

                          --

                        • janne@sfe.se
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 11 8:33 AM
                            När du lagt in unslung-firmwaren är det bara att köra:
                            ipkg update
                            ipkg install openssh

                            /Janne