Re: Frequent Outlook file (.pst) corruption problem (when stored on the NSL

  • ebertjan2000
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
      Hello all,

      I´m also experiencing the same problems. After a while open
      programs
      (in this case my banking software) aren´t any more accessible and
      I´ve
      to terminate them via the task manager. It also happens while copying
      huge files.

      regards

      Jan

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jncharli - tele2"
      <jncharli@t...> wrote:
      > Hello Bernd,
      >

      > The corruption problems I saw on my NSLU2 are all related to .pst
      files.

      > I don't have problems with large files (I made the test some
      months
      ago).

      > I find your hypothesis on memory problem very interesting. I will
      try to
      > investigate it further.
      >

      > JN
      >

      > _____

      corruption
      > problem (when stored on the NSLU2)
      >

      > I had the same problem with one device. Some files just got currupt
      after
      > a while. I had the problem reding the file from a linux samba
      client or
      > reading the files directly on the slug. One thing I tried was to
      copy a
      > 200 MBytes file on the slug did a verify and the file was fine.
      After
      > waiting for some hours and doing the verify again, it failed. After
      doing
      > something else the verify was even successful again!
      >
      > Replacing the unit with a different one solved the problem. Exactly
      the
      > same configuration works fine now. It seems that some devices have
      some
      > kind of memory problem.
      >
      > Best Regards,
      > Bernd
      >
      > mlsmith59 sagte:
      > >
      > > I have the same problem. It has existed in all versions of the
      > > stock NSLU2 firmware as well as UNSLUNG. I have been storing my
      > > Outlook .pst files on a samba share on a redhat linux machine for
      > > years with no problems. I would love to move them to the NSLU2
      > > since it has now replaced almost all the other functions I used
      the
      > > linus box for. I have not tried switching the NSLU2 to use samba
      3.

      > > Mark
      > >
      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jncharli2"
      > > >jncharli@t...<
      > > wrote:
      > > <
      > > < Hello all,
      > > <
      > > < I have a problem with my NSLU2 that embarrasses me.
      > > <
      > > < I store on a share of my NSLU2 the main .pst file used by
      Outlook
      > > < store all mails, contacts, ...
      > > < I can access this file from both my desktop and my laptop. That
      > > < means I can gain a full access to my mails, contacts, ... from
      > > both
      > > < my desktop and my laptop (but only one at a time).
      > > <
      > > < Unfortunately, very often (may be once a day on average),
      > > this .pst
      > > < file is found to be corrupted.
      > > < When I use Scanpst (an tool provided by Microsoft), the
      corruption
      > > < is cleared, and there is no data loss.
      > > <
      > > < If I store the same .pst file on my desktop, turning it into a
      > > file
      > > < server, there is no more corruption (for more than 20 days).
      > > < I then deduce that the file becomes periodically corrupted
      because
      > > < it is stored on a share of the NSLU2.
      > > <
      > > < My first question is : does anyone has the same problem ?
      > > <
      > > < My 2nd question is : Does anybody know any patch to apply to
      > > samba ?
      > > <
      > > < My 3rd question is : Could OpenSlug be the solution ?
      > > <
      > > < Thanks for your help...
      > >

      > _____
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      m?subject=Unsubscribe>

    • mlsmith59
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
        I have the .pst file problem with Linksys firmware V2.3r24, V2.3r25,
        Unslung firmware versions 1.11, 2.12, 3.16, 3.17, and 3.18. So
        unfortunatly there isn't a version of firmware that fixes the
        problem. Although I have never tried Linksys V2.3r29. Perhaps
        samba version 3 might help.

        Mark

        <jncharli@t...> wrote:
        > Hello Mark,
        >

        > Sorry to be confused. I understand you encounter the same problem
        on your
        > NSLU2.
        >
        > If no (and I'm praying you don't have), could you tell which
        release of
        > microcode you are running ? (official Linksys, OpeNSLUg, uNSLUg
        standard, …)

        > Best regards,
        >

        > JN
        >

        > _____

        corruption problem
> [...]
        > > > this .pst
        > > > < file is found to be corrupted.
        > > > < When I use Scanpst (an tool provided by Microsoft), the
        > corruption
        > > > < is cleared, and there is no data loss.
        > > > <
        > > > < If I store the same .pst file on my desktop, turning it into
        > > > file
        > > > < server, there is no more corruption (for more than 20 days).
        > > > < I then deduce that the file becomes periodically corrupted
        > because
        > > > < it is stored on a share of the NSLU2.
        > > > <
        > > > < My first question is : does anyone has the same problem ?
        > > > <
        > > > < My 2nd question is : Does anybody know any patch to apply to
        > > > samba ?
        > > > <
        > > > < My 3rd question is : Could OpenSlug be the solution ?

        subject=Unsubscribe>

      • Bernd Wiegmann
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
          Hi JN,

          the problem was not directly related to the size of the file, but the
          chance that it got corrupted wath much bigger with large ones. The files
          were still ok on the disk but the slug was not able to read them correctly
          sometimes.

          I did not try to put any .pst files on a share so this might be an
          unrelated problem.

          Best regards,
          Bernd

          jncharli - tele2 sagte:

          > Hello Bernd,
          >

          > The corruption problems I saw on my NSLU2 are all related to .pst files.
          >
          > I don’t have problems with large files (I made the test some months ago).
          >
          > I find your hypothesis on memory problem very interesting. I will try to
          > investigate it further.
          >

          > JN
          >

          > _____

          Bernd Wiegmann

          WiB - Software, Software Development for Symbian Phones
          Web: http://www.wib-software.com/
          Fon: +49 (0)531 580 466 81
          Fax: +49 (0)531 250 52 73