Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Frequent Outlook file (.pst) corruption problem (when stored on the NSLU2)

  • Bernd Wiegmann
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
      I had the same problem with one device. Some files just got currupt after
      a while. I had the problem reding the file from a linux samba client or
      reading the files directly on the slug. One thing I tried was to copy a
      200 MBytes file on the slug did a verify and the file was fine. After
      waiting for some hours and doing the verify again, it failed. After doing
      something else the verify was even successful again!

      Replacing the unit with a different one solved the problem. Exactly the
      same configuration works fine now. It seems that some devices have some
      kind of memory problem.

      Best Regards,
      Bernd

      mlsmith59 sagte:

      > I have the same problem. It has existed in all versions of the
      > stock NSLU2 firmware as well as UNSLUNG. I have been storing my
      > Outlook .pst files on a samba share on a redhat linux machine for
      > years with no problems. I would love to move them to the NSLU2
      > since it has now replaced almost all the other functions I used the
      > linus box for. I have not tried switching the NSLU2 to use samba 3.
      >
      > Mark
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jncharli2"
      > >jncharli@t...<
      > wrote:
      > <
      > < Hello all,
      > <
      > < I have a problem with my NSLU2 that embarrasses me.
      > <
      > < I store on a share of my NSLU2 the main .pst file used by Outlook
      > < store all mails, contacts, ...
      > < I can access this file from both my desktop and my laptop. That
      > < means I can gain a full access to my mails, contacts, ... from
      > both
      > < my desktop and my laptop (but only one at a time).
      > <
      > < Unfortunately, very often (may be once a day on average),
      > this .pst
      > < file is found to be corrupted.
      > < When I use Scanpst (an tool provided by Microsoft), the corruption
      > < is cleared, and there is no data loss.
      > <
      > < If I store the same .pst file on my desktop, turning it into a
      > file
      > < server, there is no more corruption (for more than 20 days).
      > < I then deduce that the file becomes periodically corrupted because
      > < it is stored on a share of the NSLU2.
      > <
      > < My first question is : does anyone has the same problem ?
      > <
      > < My 2nd question is : Does anybody know any patch to apply to
      > samba ?
      > <
      > < My 3rd question is : Could OpenSlug be the solution ?
      > <
      > < Thanks for your help...

    • mlsmith59
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
        I've had my NSLU2 for a long time and have never had any problem
        with files other than the Outlook .PST files. I actualy have two
        NSLU2s one at a vacation house and it acts the same way. I've read
        alot about the various corruption problems others have had and I
        don't have them. I think there is a problem specific to .PST
        files. If you do a Google search on NSLU2 and Outlook you will find
        other references to this problem. I haven't seen a solution.

        Mark
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Bernd Wiegmann" <nslu2@w...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > > this .pst
        > > < file is found to be corrupted.
        > > < When I use Scanpst (an tool provided by Microsoft), the
        corruption
        > > < is cleared, and there is no data loss.
        > > <
        > > < If I store the same .pst file on my desktop, turning it into a
        > > file
        > > < server, there is no more corruption (for more than 20 days).
        > > < I then deduce that the file becomes periodically corrupted
        because
        > > < it is stored on a share of the NSLU2.
        > > <
        > > < My first question is : does anyone has the same problem ?
        > > <
        > > < My 2nd question is : Does anybody know any patch to apply to
        > > samba ?
        > > <
        > > < My 3rd question is : Could OpenSlug be the solution ?

      • jncharli - tele2
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
          Hello Mark,

          Sorry to be confused. I understand you encounter the same problem on your
          NSLU2.

          If no (and I’m praying you don’t have), could you tell which release of
          microcode you are running ? (official Linksys, OpeNSLUg, uNSLUg standard, …)

          Best regards,

          JN

          _____

          wrote:

> [...]
          > > this .pst
          > > < file is found to be corrupted.
          > > < When I use Scanpst (an tool provided by Microsoft), the
          corruption
          > > < is cleared, and there is no data loss.
          > > <
          > > < If I store the same .pst file on my desktop, turning it into a
          > > file
          > > < server, there is no more corruption (for more than 20 days).
          > > < I then deduce that the file becomes periodically corrupted
          because
          > > < it is stored on a share of the NSLU2.
          > > <
          > > < My first question is : does anyone has the same problem ?
          > > <
          > > < My 2nd question is : Does anybody know any patch to apply to
          > > samba ?
          > > <
          > > < My 3rd question is : Could OpenSlug be the solution ?

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • jncharli - tele2
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
            Thank you Mark.

            I understood this time.

            I intend to spend some (much) time to investigate around the release of
            samba that is installed in the official release.

            I also hope that OpeNSLUg could be the solution.

            Best regards,

            JN

            _____

            wrote:

            > Hello all,
            >
            > I have a problem with my NSLU2 that embarrasses me.
            >
            > I store on a share of my NSLU2 the main .pst file used by Outlook
            > store all mails, contacts, ...
            > I can access this file from both my desktop and my laptop. That
            > means I can gain a full access to my mails, contacts, ... from
            both
            > my desktop and my laptop (but only one at a time).
            >
            > Unfortunately, very often (may be once a day on average),
            this .pst
            > file is found to be corrupted.
            > When I use Scanpst (an tool provided by Microsoft), the corruption
            > is cleared, and there is no data loss.
            >
            > If I store the same .pst file on my desktop, turning it into a
            file
            > server, there is no more corruption (for more than 20 days).
            > I then deduce that the file becomes periodically corrupted because
            > it is stored on a share of the NSLU2.
            >
            > My first question is : does anyone has the same problem ?
            >
            > My 2nd question is : Does anybody know any patch to apply to
            samba ?

            > My 3rd question is : Could OpenSlug be the solution ?
            >
            > Thanks for your help...

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • jncharli - tele2
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
              Hello Anne,

              In addition to the Outlook corruption problem, I have the same issue on
              Excel (the file is said modified by another user).

              Nothing to report about Word document.

              I gave a call to Linksys support, but… nothing.

              JN

              _____

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
                Hello Bernd,

                The corruption problems I saw on my NSLU2 are all related to .pst files.

                I don’t have problems with large files (I made the test some months ago).

                I find your hypothesis on memory problem very interesting. I will try to
                investigate it further.

                JN

                _____

                I had the same problem with one device. Some files just got currupt after
                a while. I had the problem reding the file from a linux samba client or
                reading the files directly on the slug. One thing I tried was to copy a
                200 MBytes file on the slug did a verify and the file was fine. After
                waiting for some hours and doing the verify again, it failed. After doing
                something else the verify was even successful again!

                Replacing the unit with a different one solved the problem. Exactly the
                same configuration works fine now. It seems that some devices have some
                kind of memory problem.

                Best Regards,
                Bernd

                mlsmith59 sagte:

                > I have the same problem. It has existed in all versions of the
                > stock NSLU2 firmware as well as UNSLUNG. I have been storing my
                > Outlook .pst files on a samba share on a redhat linux machine for
                > years with no problems. I would love to move them to the NSLU2
                > since it has now replaced almost all the other functions I used the
                > linus box for. I have not tried switching the NSLU2 to use samba 3.
                >
                > Mark
                >
                > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jncharli2"
                > >jncharli@t...<
                > wrote:
                > <
                > < Hello all,
                > <
                > < I have a problem with my NSLU2 that embarrasses me.
                > <
                > < I store on a share of my NSLU2 the main .pst file used by Outlook
                > < store all mails, contacts, ...
                > < I can access this file from both my desktop and my laptop. That
                > < means I can gain a full access to my mails, contacts, ... from
                > both
                > < my desktop and my laptop (but only one at a time).
                > <
                > < Unfortunately, very often (may be once a day on average),
                > this .pst
                > < file is found to be corrupted.
                > < When I use Scanpst (an tool provided by Microsoft), the corruption
                > < is cleared, and there is no data loss.
                > <
                > < If I store the same .pst file on my desktop, turning it into a
                > file
                > < server, there is no more corruption (for more than 20 days).
                > < I then deduce that the file becomes periodically corrupted because
                > < it is stored on a share of the NSLU2.
                > <
                > < My first question is : does anyone has the same problem ?
                > <
                > < My 2nd question is : Does anybody know any patch to apply to
                > samba ?
                > <
                > < My 3rd question is : Could OpenSlug be the solution ?
                > <
                > < Thanks for your help...

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • ebertjan2000
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
                  Hello all,

                  I´m also experiencing the same problems. After a while open
                  programs
                  (in this case my banking software) aren´t any more accessible and
                  I´ve
                  to terminate them via the task manager. It also happens while copying
                  huge files.

                  regards

                  Jan

                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jncharli - tele2"

                  m?subject=Unsubscribe>

                • mlsmith59
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
                    I have the .pst file problem with Linksys firmware V2.3r24, V2.3r25,
                    Unslung firmware versions 1.11, 2.12, 3.16, 3.17, and 3.18. So
                    unfortunatly there isn't a version of firmware that fixes the
                    problem. Although I have never tried Linksys V2.3r29. Perhaps
                    samba version 3 might help.

                    Mark

                    <jncharli@t...> wrote:
                    > Hello Mark,
                    >

                    > Sorry to be confused. I understand you encounter the same problem
                    on your
                    > NSLU2.
                    >
                    > If no (and I'm praying you don't have), could you tell which
                    release of
                    > microcode you are running ? (official Linksys, OpeNSLUg, uNSLUg
                    standard, …)

                    > Best regards,
                    >

                    > JN
                    >

                    > _____

                    corruption problem
> [...]
                    > > > this .pst
                    > > > < file is found to be corrupted.
                    > > > < When I use Scanpst (an tool provided by Microsoft), the
                    > corruption
                    > > > < is cleared, and there is no data loss.
                    > > > <
                    > > > < If I store the same .pst file on my desktop, turning it into
                    > > > file
                    > > > < server, there is no more corruption (for more than 20 days).
                    > > > < I then deduce that the file becomes periodically corrupted
                    > because
                    > > > < it is stored on a share of the NSLU2.
                    > > > <
                    > > > < My first question is : does anyone has the same problem ?
                    > > > <
                    > > > < My 2nd question is : Does anybody know any patch to apply to
                    > > > samba ?
                    > > > <
                    > > > < My 3rd question is : Could OpenSlug be the solution ?

                    subject=Unsubscribe>

                  • Bernd Wiegmann
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
                      Hi JN,

                      the problem was not directly related to the size of the file, but the
                      chance that it got corrupted wath much bigger with large ones. The files
                      were still ok on the disk but the slug was not able to read them correctly
                      sometimes.

                      I did not try to put any .pst files on a share so this might be an
                      unrelated problem.

                      Best regards,
                      Bernd

                      jncharli - tele2 sagte:

                      > Hello Bernd,
                      >

                      > The corruption problems I saw on my NSLU2 are all related to .pst files.
                      >
                      > I don’t have problems with large files (I made the test some months ago).
                      >
                      > I find your hypothesis on memory problem very interesting. I will try to
                      > investigate it further.
                      >

                      > JN
                      >

                      > _____

                      Bernd Wiegmann

                      WiB - Software, Software Development for Symbian Phones
                      Web: http://www.wib-software.com/
                      Fon: +49 (0)531 580 466 81
                      Fax: +49 (0)531 250 52 73