Frequent Outlook file (.pst) corruption problem (when stored on the NSLU2)

  • jncharli2
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 2, 2005
      Hello all,

      I have a problem with my NSLU2 that embarrasses me.

      I store on a share of my NSLU2 the main .pst file used by Outlook to
      store all mails, contacts, ...
      I can access this file from both my desktop and my laptop. That
      means I can gain a full access to my mails, contacts, ... from both
      my desktop and my laptop (but only one at a time).

      Unfortunately, very often (may be once a day on average), this .pst
      file is found to be corrupted.
      When I use Scanpst (an tool provided by Microsoft), the corruption
      is cleared, and there is no data loss.

      If I store the same .pst file on my desktop, turning it into a file
      server, there is no more corruption (for more than 20 days).
      I then deduce that the file becomes periodically corrupted because
      it is stored on a share of the NSLU2.

      My first question is : does anyone has the same problem ?

      My 2nd question is : Does anybody know any patch to apply to samba ?

      My 3rd question is : Could OpenSlug be the solution ?

      Thanks for your help...
    • mlsmith59
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 2, 2005
        I have the same problem. It has existed in all versions of the
        stock NSLU2 firmware as well as UNSLUNG. I have been storing my
        Outlook .pst files on a samba share on a redhat linux machine for
        years with no problems. I would love to move them to the NSLU2
        since it has now replaced almost all the other functions I used the
        linus box for. I have not tried switching the NSLU2 to use samba 3.

        Mark

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jncharli2" <jncharli@t...>
        wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I have a problem with my NSLU2 that embarrasses me.
        >
        > I store on a share of my NSLU2 the main .pst file used by Outlook
        > store all mails, contacts, ...
        > I can access this file from both my desktop and my laptop. That
        > means I can gain a full access to my mails, contacts, ... from
        both
        > my desktop and my laptop (but only one at a time).
        >
        > Unfortunately, very often (may be once a day on average),
        this .pst
        > file is found to be corrupted.
        > When I use Scanpst (an tool provided by Microsoft), the corruption
        > is cleared, and there is no data loss.
        >
        > If I store the same .pst file on my desktop, turning it into a
        file
        > server, there is no more corruption (for more than 20 days).
        > I then deduce that the file becomes periodically corrupted because
        > it is stored on a share of the NSLU2.
        >
        > My first question is : does anyone has the same problem ?
        >
        > My 2nd question is : Does anybody know any patch to apply to
        samba ?

        > My 3rd question is : Could OpenSlug be the solution ?
        >
        > Thanks for your help...
      • Arne Berner
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 2, 2005
          Hi, I have the same problem, and for me it always happens when i store
          the file on the NSLU2. When I work with other files (word, excel) I
          often get prompted with a message when editing the files saying that
          the file has been modified by another user. Could this have something
          todo with the problem, a timestamp error of some kind?

          Arne

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jncharli2" <jncharli@t...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > I have a problem with my NSLU2 that embarrasses me.
          >
          > I store on a share of my NSLU2 the main .pst file used by Outlook to
          > store all mails, contacts, ...
          > I can access this file from both my desktop and my laptop. That
          > means I can gain a full access to my mails, contacts, ... from both
          > my desktop and my laptop (but only one at a time).
          >
          > Unfortunately, very often (may be once a day on average), this .pst
          > file is found to be corrupted.
          > When I use Scanpst (an tool provided by Microsoft), the corruption
          > is cleared, and there is no data loss.
          >
          > If I store the same .pst file on my desktop, turning it into a file
          > server, there is no more corruption (for more than 20 days).
          > I then deduce that the file becomes periodically corrupted because
          > it is stored on a share of the NSLU2.
          >
          > My first question is : does anyone has the same problem ?
          >
          > My 2nd question is : Does anybody know any patch to apply to samba ?
          >
          > My 3rd question is : Could OpenSlug be the solution ?
          >
          > Thanks for your help...
        • Bernd Wiegmann
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
            I had the same problem with one device. Some files just got currupt after
            a while. I had the problem reding the file from a linux samba client or
            reading the files directly on the slug. One thing I tried was to copy a
            200 MBytes file on the slug did a verify and the file was fine. After
            waiting for some hours and doing the verify again, it failed. After doing
            something else the verify was even successful again!

            Replacing the unit with a different one solved the problem. Exactly the
            same configuration works fine now. It seems that some devices have some
            kind of memory problem.

            Best Regards,
            Bernd

            mlsmith59 sagte:

            > I have the same problem. It has existed in all versions of the
            > stock NSLU2 firmware as well as UNSLUNG. I have been storing my
            > Outlook .pst files on a samba share on a redhat linux machine for
            > years with no problems. I would love to move them to the NSLU2
            > since it has now replaced almost all the other functions I used the
            > linus box for. I have not tried switching the NSLU2 to use samba 3.
            >
            > Mark
            >
            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jncharli2"
            > >jncharli@t...<
            > wrote:
            > <
            > < Hello all,
            > <
            > < I have a problem with my NSLU2 that embarrasses me.
            > <
            > < I store on a share of my NSLU2 the main .pst file used by Outlook
            > < store all mails, contacts, ...
            > < I can access this file from both my desktop and my laptop. That
            > < means I can gain a full access to my mails, contacts, ... from
            > both
            > < my desktop and my laptop (but only one at a time).
            > <
            > < Unfortunately, very often (may be once a day on average),
            > this .pst
            > < file is found to be corrupted.
            > < When I use Scanpst (an tool provided by Microsoft), the corruption
            > < is cleared, and there is no data loss.
            > <
            > < If I store the same .pst file on my desktop, turning it into a
            > file
            > < server, there is no more corruption (for more than 20 days).
            > < I then deduce that the file becomes periodically corrupted because
            > < it is stored on a share of the NSLU2.
            > <
            > < My first question is : does anyone has the same problem ?
            > <
            > < My 2nd question is : Does anybody know any patch to apply to
            > samba ?
            > <
            > < My 3rd question is : Could OpenSlug be the solution ?
            > <
            > < Thanks for your help...

          • mlsmith59
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
              I've had my NSLU2 for a long time and have never had any problem
              with files other than the Outlook .PST files. I actualy have two
              NSLU2s one at a vacation house and it acts the same way. I've read
              alot about the various corruption problems others have had and I
              don't have them. I think there is a problem specific to .PST
              files. If you do a Google search on NSLU2 and Outlook you will find
              other references to this problem. I haven't seen a solution.

              Mark
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Bernd Wiegmann" <nslu2@w...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              > > this .pst
              > > < file is found to be corrupted.
              > > < When I use Scanpst (an tool provided by Microsoft), the
              corruption
              > > < is cleared, and there is no data loss.
              > > <
              > > < If I store the same .pst file on my desktop, turning it into a
              > > file
              > > < server, there is no more corruption (for more than 20 days).
              > > < I then deduce that the file becomes periodically corrupted
              because
              > > < it is stored on a share of the NSLU2.
              > > <
              > > < My first question is : does anyone has the same problem ?
              > > <
              > > < My 2nd question is : Does anybody know any patch to apply to
              > > samba ?
              > > <
              > > < My 3rd question is : Could OpenSlug be the solution ?

            • jncharli - tele2
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
                Hello Mark,

                Sorry to be confused. I understand you encounter the same problem on your
                NSLU2.

                If no (and I’m praying you don’t have), could you tell which release of
                microcode you are running ? (official Linksys, OpeNSLUg, uNSLUg standard, …)

                Best regards,

                JN

                _____

                wrote:

> [...]
                > > this .pst
                > > < file is found to be corrupted.
                > > < When I use Scanpst (an tool provided by Microsoft), the
                corruption
                > > < is cleared, and there is no data loss.
                > > <
                > > < If I store the same .pst file on my desktop, turning it into a
                > > file
                > > < server, there is no more corruption (for more than 20 days).
                > > < I then deduce that the file becomes periodically corrupted
                because
                > > < it is stored on a share of the NSLU2.
                > > <
                > > < My first question is : does anyone has the same problem ?
                > > <
                > > < My 2nd question is : Does anybody know any patch to apply to
                > > samba ?
                > > <
                > > < My 3rd question is : Could OpenSlug be the solution ?

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • jncharli - tele2
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
                  Thank you Mark.

                  I understood this time.

                  I intend to spend some (much) time to investigate around the release of
                  samba that is installed in the official release.

                  I also hope that OpeNSLUg could be the solution.

                  Best regards,

                  JN

                  _____

                  wrote:

                  > Hello all,
                  >
                  > I have a problem with my NSLU2 that embarrasses me.
                  >
                  > I store on a share of my NSLU2 the main .pst file used by Outlook
                  > store all mails, contacts, ...
                  > I can access this file from both my desktop and my laptop. That
                  > means I can gain a full access to my mails, contacts, ... from
                  both
                  > my desktop and my laptop (but only one at a time).
                  >
                  > Unfortunately, very often (may be once a day on average),
                  this .pst
                  > file is found to be corrupted.
                  > When I use Scanpst (an tool provided by Microsoft), the corruption
                  > is cleared, and there is no data loss.
                  >
                  > If I store the same .pst file on my desktop, turning it into a
                  file
                  > server, there is no more corruption (for more than 20 days).
                  > I then deduce that the file becomes periodically corrupted because
                  > it is stored on a share of the NSLU2.
                  >
                  > My first question is : does anyone has the same problem ?
                  >
                  > My 2nd question is : Does anybody know any patch to apply to
                  samba ?

                  > My 3rd question is : Could OpenSlug be the solution ?
                  >
                  > Thanks for your help...

                  _____

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • jncharli - tele2
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
                    Hello Anne,

                    In addition to the Outlook corruption problem, I have the same issue on
                    Excel (the file is said modified by another user).

                    Nothing to report about Word document.

                    I gave a call to Linksys support, but… nothing.

                    JN

                    _____

                    Hi, I have the same problem, and for me it always happens when i store
                    the file on the NSLU2. When I work with other files (word, excel) I
                    often get prompted with a message when editing the files saying that
                    the file has been modified by another user. Could this have something
                    todo with the problem, a timestamp error of some kind?

                    Arne

                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jncharli2" <jncharli@t...> wrote:

                    > Hello all,
                    >
                    > I have a problem with my NSLU2 that embarrasses me.
                    >
                    > I store on a share of my NSLU2 the main .pst file used by Outlook to
                    > store all mails, contacts, ...
                    > I can access this file from both my desktop and my laptop. That
                    > means I can gain a full access to my mails, contacts, ... from both
                    > my desktop and my laptop (but only one at a time).
                    >
                    > Unfortunately, very often (may be once a day on average), this .pst
                    > file is found to be corrupted.
                    > When I use Scanpst (an tool provided by Microsoft), the corruption
                    > is cleared, and there is no data loss.
                    >
                    > If I store the same .pst file on my desktop, turning it into a file
                    > server, there is no more corruption (for more than 20 days).
                    > I then deduce that the file becomes periodically corrupted because
                    > it is stored on a share of the NSLU2.
                    >
                    > My first question is : does anyone has the same problem ?
                    >
                    > My 2nd question is : Does anybody know any patch to apply to samba ?
                    >
                    > My 3rd question is : Could OpenSlug be the solution ?
                    >
                    > Thanks for your help...

                    _____

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • jncharli - tele2
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
                      Hello Bernd,

                      The corruption problems I saw on my NSLU2 are all related to .pst files.

                      I don’t have problems with large files (I made the test some months ago).

                      I find your hypothesis on memory problem very interesting. I will try to
                      investigate it further.

                      JN

                      _____

                      I had the same problem with one device. Some files just got currupt after
                      a while. I had the problem reding the file from a linux samba client or
                      reading the files directly on the slug. One thing I tried was to copy a
                      200 MBytes file on the slug did a verify and the file was fine. After
                      waiting for some hours and doing the verify again, it failed. After doing
                      something else the verify was even successful again!

                      Replacing the unit with a different one solved the problem. Exactly the
                      same configuration works fine now. It seems that some devices have some
                      kind of memory problem.

                      Best Regards,
                      Bernd

                      mlsmith59 sagte:

                      > I have the same problem. It has existed in all versions of the
                      > stock NSLU2 firmware as well as UNSLUNG. I have been storing my
                      > Outlook .pst files on a samba share on a redhat linux machine for
                      > years with no problems. I would love to move them to the NSLU2
                      > since it has now replaced almost all the other functions I used the
                      > linus box for. I have not tried switching the NSLU2 to use samba 3.
                      >
                      > Mark
                      >
                      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jncharli2"
                      > >jncharli@t...<
                      > wrote:
                      > <
                      > < Hello all,
                      > <
                      > < I have a problem with my NSLU2 that embarrasses me.
                      > <
                      > < I store on a share of my NSLU2 the main .pst file used by Outlook
                      > < store all mails, contacts, ...
                      > < I can access this file from both my desktop and my laptop. That
                      > < means I can gain a full access to my mails, contacts, ... from
                      > both
                      > < my desktop and my laptop (but only one at a time).
                      > <
                      > < Unfortunately, very often (may be once a day on average),
                      > this .pst
                      > < file is found to be corrupted.
                      > < When I use Scanpst (an tool provided by Microsoft), the corruption
                      > < is cleared, and there is no data loss.
                      > <
                      > < If I store the same .pst file on my desktop, turning it into a
                      > file
                      > < server, there is no more corruption (for more than 20 days).
                      > < I then deduce that the file becomes periodically corrupted because
                      > < it is stored on a share of the NSLU2.
                      > <
                      > < My first question is : does anyone has the same problem ?
                      > <
                      > < My 2nd question is : Does anybody know any patch to apply to
                      > samba ?
                      > <
                      > < My 3rd question is : Could OpenSlug be the solution ?
                      > <
                      > < Thanks for your help...

                      _____

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • ebertjan2000
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
                        Hello all,

                        I´m also experiencing the same problems. After a while open
                        programs
                        (in this case my banking software) aren´t any more accessible and
                        I´ve
                        to terminate them via the task manager. It also happens while copying
                        huge files.

                        regards

                        Jan

                        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jncharli - tele2"

                        m?subject=Unsubscribe>

                      • mlsmith59
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
                          I have the .pst file problem with Linksys firmware V2.3r24, V2.3r25,
                          Unslung firmware versions 1.11, 2.12, 3.16, 3.17, and 3.18. So
                          unfortunatly there isn't a version of firmware that fixes the
                          problem. Although I have never tried Linksys V2.3r29. Perhaps
                          samba version 3 might help.

                          Mark

                          <jncharli@t...> wrote:
                          > Hello Mark,
                          >

                          > Sorry to be confused. I understand you encounter the same problem
                          on your
                          > NSLU2.
                          >
                          > If no (and I'm praying you don't have), could you tell which
                          release of
                          > microcode you are running ? (official Linksys, OpeNSLUg, uNSLUg
                          standard, …)

                          > Best regards,
                          >

                          > JN
                          >

                          > _____

                          corruption problem
> [...]
                          > > > this .pst
                          > > > < file is found to be corrupted.
                          > > > < When I use Scanpst (an tool provided by Microsoft), the
                          > corruption
                          > > > < is cleared, and there is no data loss.
                          > > > <
                          > > > < If I store the same .pst file on my desktop, turning it into
                          > > > file
                          > > > < server, there is no more corruption (for more than 20 days).
                          > > > < I then deduce that the file becomes periodically corrupted
                          > because
                          > > > < it is stored on a share of the NSLU2.
                          > > > <
                          > > > < My first question is : does anyone has the same problem ?
                          > > > <
                          > > > < My 2nd question is : Does anybody know any patch to apply to
                          > > > samba ?
                          > > > <
                          > > > < My 3rd question is : Could OpenSlug be the solution ?

                          subject=Unsubscribe>

                        • Bernd Wiegmann
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
                            Hi JN,

                            the problem was not directly related to the size of the file, but the
                            chance that it got corrupted wath much bigger with large ones. The files
                            were still ok on the disk but the slug was not able to read them correctly
                            sometimes.

                            I did not try to put any .pst files on a share so this might be an
                            unrelated problem.

                            Best regards,
                            Bernd

                            jncharli - tele2 sagte:

                            > Hello Bernd,
                            >

                            > The corruption problems I saw on my NSLU2 are all related to .pst files.
                            >
                            > I don’t have problems with large files (I made the test some months ago).
                            >
                            > I find your hypothesis on memory problem very interesting. I will try to
                            > investigate it further.
                            >

                            > JN
                            >

                            > _____

                            Bernd Wiegmann

                            WiB - Software, Software Development for Symbian Phones
                            Web: http://www.wib-software.com/
                            Fon: +49 (0)531 580 466 81
                            Fax: +49 (0)531 250 52 73