Rsync from Linux box to NSLU2 - chown fails

  • mfield3
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2004

      Is anyone using rsync successfully to back-up from a linux box to the
      NSLU2 (using Samba and not NFS as discussed on the NSLU2-linux list)?

      I've got a script I've been running for a long time to back-up to an
      external USB drive -- it works well. When I got the NSLU2, I mounted
      a share and just edited the script to back-up to the share's mount
      point. Although the files are copied correctly, I get errors
      indicating that rsync can't change the file owner:

      rsync: chown "/samba1/laptop/etc/Muttprintrc" failed: Operation not
      permitted (1)

      I then tried changing ownership of a file myself and got this:

      -rwx------ 1 marc marc 918 Jul 29 12:36 yum.conf*
      [marc@rugby etc]$ chown root yum.conf
      chown: changing ownership of `yum.conf': Operation not permitted

      Is this a limitation of Samba? Of Samba on the NSLU2? Or do I have
      something configured incorrectly?

      If this is a limitation of Samba, any suggestions for backup? I do
      have 2 windows boxes that I'd like to back-up to this box, so I don't
      know whether NFS would be an option (I'm not very familiar with NFS).

      I know tar would work, but I don't know how efficient it would be a
      doing incremental backups. Any other recommended backup apps that
      could maintain file owners/permissions?

      Thanks for any help!
      Marc
    • mfield3
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2004
        Never mind... I looked a little further into NFS and realized that I
        can run both Samba and NFS at the same time. So I installed Jim's NFS
        build and it's working great with rsync, while I'm still using Samba
        for the Windows boxes. Problem solved.

        Marc

        ?

        .