- I finally got the Linksys NSLU2's web based backup utility working
(firmware version: V2.3R25-uNSLUng-standard-3.18-beta). Here are just
some of the things that I had trouble with/lessons learned (some of
this only applies to WinXP):
1. First, make sure you enable email alerts. You only get an alert if
there's a problem but it would really be nice to be able to get a log
type message letting you all went well also.
2. Properly configure your firewall. If you're using Norton
Personal Firewall go to the Networking tab (click on Configure)
and identify a range of trusted IP addresses (I just used my LAN
addresses range). When the firewall was not properly configured
I was getting the error message:
Backup: Job 'Documents' failed, cannot connect to file server
3. Create shares on your PC (I created a set of shares for the
folders I wanted backed up, e.g. share Documents for folder
c:\Documents), (you can't just enter something like c:\Documents
in the Linksys utility).
4. When defining your backup job, make sure you enter a sub-
folder name for the slug. (if you don't, the contents of
c:\Documents will be copied to the slug's share (e.g. DISK1), not
the folder and its contents).
5. The KnowledgeBase says; use forward slashes (not backslashes)
for the slug's Sub Folder and the Other Device's Shared folder.
For example; use /Documents for the slug's sub-folder and
/Documents for the share.
6. The web based utility will only allow you to create 5 Backup
Jobs directly (i.e. by clicking on New Job). The workaround is
to take an existing job and give it a new Name.
I ran into a problem with certain files. The common thread was
some kind of strange character in the file name (e.g. the
copyright symbol). I just renamed them.