Backup Utility

  • raylittle
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2005
      I finally got the Linksys NSLU2's web based backup utility working
      (firmware version: V2.3R25-uNSLUng-standard-3.18-beta). Here are just
      some of the things that I had trouble with/lessons learned (some of
      this only applies to WinXP):

      1. First, make sure you enable email alerts. You only get an alert if
      there's a problem but it would really be nice to be able to get a log
      type message letting you all went well also.

      2. Properly configure your firewall. If you're using Norton
      Personal Firewall go to the Networking tab (click on Configure)
      and identify a range of trusted IP addresses (I just used my LAN
      addresses range). When the firewall was not properly configured
      I was getting the error message:

      Backup: Job 'Documents' failed, cannot connect to file server
      '//MyPC/Documents'.

      3. Create shares on your PC (I created a set of shares for the
      folders I wanted backed up, e.g. share Documents for folder
      c:\Documents), (you can't just enter something like c:\Documents
      in the Linksys utility).

      4. When defining your backup job, make sure you enter a sub-
      folder name for the slug. (if you don't, the contents of
      c:\Documents will be copied to the slug's share (e.g. DISK1), not
      the folder and its contents).

      5. The KnowledgeBase says; use forward slashes (not backslashes)
      for the slug's Sub Folder and the Other Device's Shared folder.
      For example; use /Documents for the slug's sub-folder and
      /Documents for the share.

      6. The web based utility will only allow you to create 5 Backup
      Jobs directly (i.e. by clicking on New Job). The workaround is
      to take an existing job and give it a new Name.

      I ran into a problem with certain files. The common thread was
      some kind of strange character in the file name (e.g. the
      copyright symbol). I just renamed them.

      Ray