      From: Bill <yahoo@...>
      Subject: [nslu2-general] Re: Foreign Characters in File Name
      To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, February 23, 2013, 8:19 AM

      This is a fairly common problem with samba. It gets worse. If you copy files onto the filesystem with foreign names, this way, they may end-up with invalid filenames that cannot be deleted. ext3 expects everything to be formatted in UTF8... I had copied a bunch of e-books once with German author names in the filename onto a disk with samba. The files cannot be accessed directly, or removed. You can still write code to access the files, without referencing the filename, but most of the tools work including things like 'rm -rf'.

      In fact I never did actually manage to remove the files, because I didn't go through the effort of writing custom code. Instead I ended up moving the parent directories into lost+found, as that is a directory I normally exclude when I do things like run an rsync backup.