8786Re: Starting mini-snmpd

  • Mike
    Nov 17, 2012
      Have you checked your /var/log/messages? I installed the net-snmp
      package and now it's full of these error messages:

      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 0 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 1 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 2 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 3 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 4 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 5 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 6 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 7 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 0 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 1 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 2 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 3 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 4 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 5 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 6 on phy 0
      ixp425_eth: Error reading MII reg 7 on phy 0
      ..repeat..

      Appears to be a common problem
      <http://old.nabble.com/Kernel-Error-Message----Using-Unslung-td12780711.\
      html> .

      I'm guessing there's a way to "fix" this by editing the snmpd.conf file,
      but not sure how.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...>
      wrote:

      > I would foresee that it wouldn't do too much to the system
      performance,
      > unless you're querying things constantly (like, every second a full
      tree
      > walk or something). I've apparently had this installed for a while now
      > (didn't realize) and it hasn't affected my system performance at all
      ;)

      > On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM, Mike diskcrasher@... wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I could try installing the full blown snmpd package and see what I
      get.
      > > Just didn't want to bog down the slug running a service that I
      really don't
      > > need that badly. It's just nice to see all my network stats with
      Nagios.

      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Takata htwiz2002@
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Yeah, I don't use snmp (couldn't get anything to work at all ;) )
      so I