8763Re: Detecting Optware

  • oddballhero
    Oct 28, 2012
      You need to ask Brian Zhou or some of the other powers that be what ipkg and Optware's future will be. Optware seems to have spread, and people are still trying to graft it onto different platforms. Assuming Optware will switch to opkg (like SlugOS or OpenWrt), or Optware being discontinued in the near future, might be wishful thinking on your part. If your proposed Optware related script can't be updated for any significant changes in Optware, then, after release, it be considered as abandoned as what you claim ipkg to be.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ron Guerin <ron@...> wrote:

      > On 10/27/2012 12:37 AM, Anthony Takata wrote:
      > > Going out on a limb, but looking for the /opt directory is typically a good
      > > way, or doing a "which ipkg" and see if it exists.
      >
      > /opt is on everything[*]. That would only be useful as a test to see if
      > you were running on a Unix, Linux or BSD system of some sort. That
      > could be anything from a mainframe to a clip-on music player though.
      >
      > The test for /opt/bin/ipkg-opt seems like it's a better choice, but the
      > more I've been thinking about it, it really isn't a very good test for
      > Optware either, as while ipkg is used by Optware, it's not actually part
      > of Optware. In fact, ipkg has been abandoned by its authors, so it's
      > highly probable that Optware will switch to something else (likely opkg)
      > in the foreseeable future, provided Optware doesn't become abandoned itself.
      >
      > It may however that looking for /opt/bin/ipkg-opt is as good an
      > indicator as I'm going to get. In the end I'm really trying to figure
      > out if I'm on an embedded device where /etc is part of a read-only file
      > system and that because of this, I should prefer /opt/etc over /etc for
      > locating my config file. I haven't found any remotely sane way of doing
      > that, and since my scripts require things that a non-developer user on
      > an Optware-capable device would only have gotten from Optware, I thought
      > I'd try to find a reliable way of detecting Optware instead. It seems
      > there's no way to do that either though.
      >
      > - Ron
      >
      > [*] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_directory_structure
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic