8581Re: Project Status

  • Brian
    Mar 14, 2012
      ipkg is the name of the package manager. It was used and has been used by a lot of projects. Optware is one of the projects that uses ipkg.

      The development of ipkg itself is not active. But optware is still semi-active.

      The name of optware originated from the fact that by default all files got installed under /opt. This is to avoid conflicting with firmware files on devices. To me, optware project is about the following:

      * Have re-usable cross compilation recipes (make files and patch files) so binary ipkg's can be built/rebuilt for various devices (different architectures and different libc, toolchains);
      * Infrastructure to auto-build selected feeds whenever recipe changes;
      * Infrastructure to host and mirror the feeds.

      The latter two makes it possible that end users can easily install binary packages.

      I said "semi-active" because all people in the project work at their spare time, and there're often times where family, work need to come first.

      Hope this helps,

      -Brian

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "W" <glombus@...> wrote:

      > I'm a bit confused on the status of the optware project and was hoping for some clarification. From what I can tell, optware was originally created for the nslu2 project, so I figured this was the logical place to check.
      >
      > The instructions provided at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/PlugComputers were extremely helpful in getting optware/ipkg installed on my PogoPlug.
      >
      > One thing I don't understand, is the difference between optware and ipkg. The documentation on the page I listed above says "To install Optware, you need to install ipkg. IPKG is the installer for Optware."
      >
      > 1) Is Optware just the name of the process described on that page? Like, to install ipkg, add a mirror, and install software is, in essence, "optware"? As far as I can tell, ipkg is the actual package manager.
      >
      > I was curious about ipkg , and found an article on Wikipedia saying that "The development for this project has discontinued. Many projects which formerly used ipkg have adopted the ipkg fork opkg for a replacement."
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipkg
      >
      > So I looked into opkg, and it seems like it was forked primarily the OpenMoko project, which now seems defunct in itself.
      >
      > If I look at the mirror for ipkg I see recent time stamps. http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/, and it looks like nslu2 still has an active community.
      >
      > 2) So...are these wikipedia articles totally inaccurate and optware/ipkg development still in progress?
      >
      > 3) or is it that ipkg is no longer actively developed, but packages are still being compiled that can be used with ipkg
      >
      > Sorry for the confusion, and if the answers to my questions are out there and I'm just not seeing them. Thanks for all the work on this project

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic