8580Project Status

  • W
    Mar 14, 2012
      I'm a bit confused on the status of the optware project and was hoping for some clarification. From what I can tell, optware was originally created for the nslu2 project, so I figured this was the logical place to check.

      The instructions provided at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/PlugComputers were extremely helpful in getting optware/ipkg installed on my PogoPlug.

      One thing I don't understand, is the difference between optware and ipkg. The documentation on the page I listed above says "To install Optware, you need to install ipkg. IPKG is the installer for Optware."

      1) Is Optware just the name of the process described on that page? Like, to install ipkg, add a mirror, and install software is, in essence, "optware"? As far as I can tell, ipkg is the actual package manager.

      I was curious about ipkg , and found an article on Wikipedia saying that "The development for this project has discontinued. Many projects which formerly used ipkg have adopted the ipkg fork opkg for a replacement."

      So I looked into opkg, and it seems like it was forked primarily the OpenMoko project, which now seems defunct in itself.

      If I look at the mirror for ipkg I see recent time stamps. http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/, and it looks like nslu2 still has an active community.

      2) So...are these wikipedia articles totally inaccurate and optware/ipkg development still in progress?

      3) or is it that ipkg is no longer actively developed, but packages are still being compiled that can be used with ipkg

      Sorry for the confusion, and if the answers to my questions are out there and I'm just not seeing them. Thanks for all the work on this project
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic