8562Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Swap partition

  • Fajar A. Nugraha
    Feb 29, 2012
      On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:28 PM, adamant628 <adam.suhy@...> wrote:
      > Thanks for the information and the reading.  Perhaps swap is not what I need, and I have another problem.
      >
      > I ran top to keep an eye on the memory usage, and I am seeing something odd:
      >
      > Here is the top line:
      >
      > Mem: 248640K used, 7368K free, 0K shrd, 126832K buff, 43596K cached
      >
      > I added up the VSZ of everything running and it only comes to 47272.
      >
      > How can I figure out what is using up all of that memory?  I don't have any programs running other than the default pogoplug stuff (hbplug using the majority ~25MB).
      >
      > Is it normal to have so little free memory?

      Yes, if all are used by buffer and cache

      I like this two commands:
      (1) ps -eo %cpu,%mem,vsz,rss,args --sort rss
      you need full version of ps (e.g. from optware, not the one from busybox)
      (2) htop
      The colors really help. For memory:
      green -> used
      yellow -> cache
      blue -> buffers

      the memory used by buffer and cache should be usable by other programs
      as needed, you don't have to do anything.

      --
      Fajar
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic