8328Re: Cheap Dealextreme alternative to the Slug

  • Bill
    Jan 26, 2011
      I stand corrected. Although, running as a chroot is hardly satisfactory for my uses, for many that is probably acceptable. As for running from USB, step 2 in the instructions would stop me dead in my tracks:

      2 - Get a serial interface connected through a RS232-TTL converter. The serial parameters are 38400-N-1. The board have some holes in which the pins can be connected, next to the processor.

      As soon as they start connecting looking for an RS232-TTL converting and connecting it next to the processor, I see costs going up, as well as flaming wreckage from my attempts to connect something next to the processor with my solder gun.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Berenguer" <dberenguer@...> wrote:

      > Not really,
      >
      > it seems that you can chroot to Debian and install apt-get install any app from the Debian repositories.
      >
      > There is even the possibility to run Debian from an external usb stick.
      >
      > http://groups.google.com/group/dealextreme-nas-/web/test
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <yahoo@> wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Matti Palmström <sjukfan@> wrote:

      > > > Bah! Now I have to buy one of those too :-)
      > > >

      > > I wouldn't bother. It looks like the only thing that runs reliably on it are busybox based systems. That makes it no more useful than a router that can accept DD-WRT.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic