7992Re: performance - SMB

  • docbillnet
    Jan 5, 2010
      1-2 GB divx doesn't really tell us much. If it is 1-2 GB and 15 minutes worth of video it is fairly high def, and your NSLU2 probably can not handle it. If it 1-2 GB and a couple of hours worth of video, I would think that would be fine. I have my NSLU2 over clocked as well. I then stream the files over wifi. If I see stuttering or such I usually blame the wifi connection. But I have found about 1200 kbps (+384 kbps for audio) seems to be the magical rate. If I encode my videos at a higher bit rate, I am more likely to notice skips and such. Although I have successfully played high definition videos at 2400 kbps, I just can't do it consistently.

      The other consideration is the client. The normal windows samba drivers are not well optimized. They add significant overhead. They also seem a bit flaky. It is not uncommon to see my samba transfer rates under Windows Vista to drop by a factor 10. e.g. I'll copy a file to my external drive that should take about 10 minutes and it will decide that day it will take 100 minutes.

      I do much better using NFS or streaming HTTP.

      However, some devices such as Network Media Tanks have very well optimized drivers. Movies play the same on my NMT regardless if I use NFS, Samba, or HTTP. So I typically stream my movies to my media player using HTTP (apache), because it allows me to directly access the files from a web menu.

      Bill