7988Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Automount NTFS

  • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
    Jan 1, 2010
      chris_jaz wrote:
      > Hi Mike,
      >
      > That is what i tried (doing it manually) and it didnt work.
      >
      > However after searching a little, am i supposed to be editing the mount.sh with my slugos usb pen inserted, or the mount.sh file without my usb pen inserted?

      I presume by "usb pen" you mean the usb flash device to which you did
      the "turnup" operation? If so, then yes - you must edit the mount.sh
      file on that device.

      But the distinction shouldn't matter to you, if you just boot normally
      -- whatever "normal" means given your configuration -- and edit the
      /etc/udev/script/mount.sh file, you'll be editing the correct file.
      > You say that automount will be removed, does this mean theres another way of achieving what i require?

      Yes. Normally, you would edit the /etc/fstab file so that each time the
      device boots, it will automatically mount the identified device (which
      you would identify by UUID or label, not by /dev/sdNN) into the correct
      place, with the correct mount options. If you are adding the device
      after-the-fact, then put the line into the fstab with the "noauto"
      keyword, so that it does not attempt to mount it at boot time. Then
      simply log in and type the correct commands when you plug the disk/flash
      in ("mount /mydisk1" or "mount /mymusicdisk", or whatever), and of
      course before you pull it out again ("umount /mydisk1", or whatever).

      The existing automount mechanism is planned to be removed, because of
      many minor problems. Each problem is, in itself, solvable -- but like
      fixing ancient plumbing, each time a leak is fixed, a new leak pops up
      somewhere else. The most serious issues are that the existing mechanism
      can cause devices to be mounted multiple times, with conflicting options
      - bad news. The existing mechanism relies on /dev/sdNN identification
      -- which is worse than useless, since the device ID assigned can vary,
      resulting in the potential for disaster and data loss (consider plugging
      in two disks -- one containing your financial records, the other a
      scratch device you use for temporary space... do you feel comfortable
      knowing that at any given time, either one of the two could be called
      /media/sda1?). Other issues include knowing how to map user ids for
      NTFS partitions; this might be different for different disk drives or
      flash devices.

      Yet another problem is that the existing solution is only half a
      solution -- it does nothing at all to help with the process of safe
      device removal.

      Solutions to all of this do exist; desktop Linux distros have solved
      this to a great extent. But it does not seem to be something solvable
      with udev, which is how the current script works. If anyone knows of a
      good embedded package that handles automounting of storage devices --
      something with a small footprint, no assumption of a console nor an
      X-windows user session, let me know. :)

      > I dont really see how it can be a useful tool without the automounting of drives, as i wouldnt want to log in and mount stuff everytime i turn it on. I know the idea is to leave it on all the time but thats not possible at the moment.
      It sounds to me that all you really need is to add the correct lines to
      the /etc/fstab, and you're all set.

      -Mike (mwester)
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic