7938Re: Problem after trying dd to clone new drive - wont boot on old disk

  • montyny1
    Dec 2, 2009
      Thanks for the tip. Without drives connected the slug boots as you said it would, and I can ssh to it. At this time I'm copying the old disk to the new disk using my laptop running clonezilla.

      We'll see what happens when I reconnect the USB drives.

      Bryan.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Mike Westerhof <mwester@...> wrote:

      > montyny1 wrote:
      > > Hi,
      > > So, I wanted to upgrade from my 750GB Hitachi to a 1TB Fantom. I plugged the Fantom in to the 2nd USB port and started dd. After 15hours I controlled C the dd, shutdown the slug and powered it off. I took the drives to a laptop and planned to copy them from there, but the Fantom would not be recognized - seems like others have this problem.
      > >
      > Don't use dd to copy filesystems - it only works in very specific
      > situations. You are far better off to format the target partition, then
      > copy the contents from one to another using a tool like rsync. (Do this
      > on a desktop; the small memory on the NSLU2 makes that a painful thing.)
      > > Ok, I thought, plug the 750GB back in to the slug and go with that - no big deal. However, the slug beeps, flashes the lights then does nothing. I left it for many hours and the ethernet flashes green, the top led flashes yellow (with a tint of red). I disconnected the power - reconnected the drive to a laptop running linux and ran ext3fs - which completed OK.
      > >
      > > Reconnected the drive and powered on the slug - again after 12 hours or so, still the same flashing LED. I think the slug is running slugos.
      > >
      > > Any thoughts on what I can do get the slug working again?
      >
      > Unplug everything from the USB ports, then boot up the NSLU2 -- if it is
      > running SlugOS, it will boot up and you'll be able to login to the
      > device. Now you can plug in the external disk -- check the messages
      > (dmesg) and see if it detects it and mounts it. Fix whatever is wrong
      > until it mounts.
      >
      > -Mike (mwester)

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic