7889Re: What next

  • docbillnet
    Sep 7, 2009
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Hanneke & Paul Brandt" <brandt.dominicus@...> wrote:

      > Hi there,
      >
      > I'd suggest the fit-PC2, a tiny but very complete system:
      > CPU: Intel Atom Z510 or 530 (1.1 / 1.6GHz),
      > Memory: 1GB DDR2
      > Display: DVI up to 1920x1080
      > Audio: High definition 2.0
      > LAN: 1000 BaseT Ethernet
      > USB: 6 USB
      > IR Receiver
      > miniSD socket
      > 12V power supply
      > And all that with only 8W power usage on full CPU load, less than 1W on
      > standby. WLAN and internal harddisk 160G are optional. In my opinion a great
      > platform for home appliances. It's available through amazon, hence
      > worldwide. There are resellers in the netherlands. see for full specs:
      > http://www.fit-pc2.com The fit-pC2 is the top of a range of three. Its
      > smallest cousin, the fit-pc1, is on sale now. In between the two is the
      > fit-pc slim. Smaller and less performing, still more horsepower than the
      > nslu (that is otherwise perfectly able to cope with the more basic home
      > appliances).
      >
      > If anyone has some second thoughts about the fit-PC2, please let us know!
      > regards
      > Paul

      Seems to me a poor choice. The price is rather high for use as a server, and the CPU speed is to slow to be a good media player. Granted there are some good media players with slower CPU's, but they have the hardware acceleration chips to make-up for it. Even then, you can't run a standard Linux distribution and expect them to keep up playing your mkv files, rather you need optimized firmware that uses the acceleration chips and all the tricks the developers can throw at them.

      Bill
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic