7802Re: Global profile for ash

  • jl0242
    Apr 26, 2009
      Cheers John,

      I'm starting to think there is a bigger problem here. I've been doing some googling on this "No help available" error and it actually sounds like it's a bug:
      http://www.mail-archive.com/busybox@.../msg00793.html

      I installed 'which' via ipkg. Have a look at this output (something's not right here IMO):

      # which find
      /opt/bin/find
      # find -maxdepth 1
      BusyBox v1.3.1 (2007-12-29 03:38:35 UTC) multi-call binary

      No help available.

      # /opt/bin/find -maxdepth 1
      .
      ./backup
      ./repair
      ./tmpmnt
      ./share
      ./share2
      #

      Not much more on the list about this problem, but I found a couple of examples:

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, John <jl.050877@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 05:16:46PM -0000, jl0242 wrote:
      > > Okay, now I'm really confused. Looking at this output:
      > >
      > > http://pastebin.com/f5c759f53
      > >
      > > It looks like the path is set correctly. Ash seems to be using a
      > > version of 'find' that's not from /urs/bin *or* /opt/bin. Line
      > > 10 shows output from the version of 'find' that ash is using,
      > > line 15 shows the output from the version in /usr/bin, and line
      > > 29 shows the output from the version in /opt/bin (the findutils
      > > version, the version that I actually want). (don't know where
      > > this is being set from, but I suppose that doesn't matter)
      >
      > Actually, for some shells, it does matter when the path was
      > set. For speed, some shells will cache the location of an
      > executable and the cache is not necessarily flushed or updated when
      > you change the path. Ash, however, is likely too lightweight to have
      > this feature.
      >
      > > Since the steps clearly show that /opt/bin is at the front of the path
      >
      > According to the printout, /opt/bin is not at the front of the
      > path: /opt/sbin is. It may seem unlikely but did you check to see
      > if /opt/sbin has your third version of find?
      >
      > > - where on earth is ash getting getting this 3rd copy of find??
      >
      > Did you try "which find"? Most shells have a "which" command to
      > tell you the shell's opinion of the location of an executable.
      >
      > John

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic