7798Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Global profile for ash

  • John
    Apr 25, 2009
      On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 05:16:46PM -0000, jl0242 wrote:
      > Okay, now I'm really confused. Looking at this output:
      >
      > http://pastebin.com/f5c759f53
      >
      > It looks like the path is set correctly. Ash seems to be using a
      > version of 'find' that's not from /urs/bin *or* /opt/bin. Line
      > 10 shows output from the version of 'find' that ash is using,
      > line 15 shows the output from the version in /usr/bin, and line
      > 29 shows the output from the version in /opt/bin (the findutils
      > version, the version that I actually want). (don't know where
      > this is being set from, but I suppose that doesn't matter)

      Actually, for some shells, it does matter when the path was
      set. For speed, some shells will cache the location of an
      executable and the cache is not necessarily flushed or updated when
      you change the path. Ash, however, is likely too lightweight to have
      this feature.

      > Since the steps clearly show that /opt/bin is at the front of the path

      According to the printout, /opt/bin is not at the front of the
      path: /opt/sbin is. It may seem unlikely but did you check to see
      if /opt/sbin has your third version of find?

      > - where on earth is ash getting getting this 3rd copy of find??

      Did you try "which find"? Most shells have a "which" command to
      tell you the shell's opinion of the location of an executable.

      John
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic