7662Re: Which process updates all smb.conf copies?

  • ernstjanoud
    Dec 28, 2008
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...>
      wrote:

      > ernstjanoud wrote:
      > > L.S.
      > >
      > > I noticed that when I change /etc/samba/smb.conf all other
      copies, even
      > > a backup copy on a share (/share/hdd/data/public/...) gets the
      same
      > > changes as well. What process is doing this (stock Linksys
      firmware)?
      > > Samba itself?
      >
      > Well, you don't tell us what firmware you are running -- but in this
      > case, the only thing that exhibits that behavior is the Linksys
      > firmware. See the wiki for information on how to influence that
      > behavior using diversion scripts and similar techniques.
      >
      > Mike (mwester)

      Firmware is V2.3R24 (I know; old, but it works for me). What do you
      mean with 'Linksys firmware'? As far as I know the NSLU2 runs Redboot
      which boots Linux, so it must be some process and or the kernel that
      catches all write accesses to SMB.CONF and subsequently updates all
      other copies available on all connected file-systems.

      I know that /etc/samba/smb.conf links
      to /share/hdd/conf/share/smb.conf but that even a (non-linked) copy
      on /share/hdd/data/public/Ernst/NSLU2 (harddisk on USB port) is
      updated when I edit /etc/samba/smb.conf using vi is very, very
      weird... and the update is immediate so it must be something within
      the kernel and/or Samba... if someone can enlighten me on this;
      please...

      Ernst
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic