7611Re: Getting upslug to upgrade firmware

  • Santosh Sam Koshy
    Nov 1, 2008
      Dear Rob,

      Thanks for the reply. As you have suggested, I pushed the slug into a
      button reset. The power led toggles between red and green the moment I
      do it.

      When I simply run upslug2 to search the slug, it replies saying that
      no slugs are currently available on the network.

      I have a few queries related to this. Does the host PC have to be
      maintained in a specific IP? If so, what.
      How can I upgrade the slug, now that it seems to be totally dead.

      Kindly respond

      SAM

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:

      > Santosh Sam Koshy wrote:
      > > Dear All,
      > >
      > > On web upgrade of my slug with a firmware that I downloaded from the
      > > linksys site, the system crashed and thereafter, I have been unable to
      > > detect it from the linksys software as well as from the web access.
      >
      > Yes, the Linksys web UI upgrade option is flakey - that's why we only
      > recommend using the hardware reset button upgrade mode and upslug2.
      >
      > > I downloaded a telnet utility to probe into redboot just after it
      > > boots. This utlity gives me a redboot prompt and allows me to throw
      > > the slug into an upgrade mode.
      >
      > OK, you could possibly have saved the trouble by using the hardware
      > reset button method.
      >
      > > To upgrade thereafter, I am using the upslug2 tool from my host PC.
      > > The problem that I face is that the upslug program returns a bad
      > > signature error. This has caused me incapable of upgrading the
      > > firmware. The firmware ends with a .bin extension. and upslug uses a
      > > .img extension.
      >
      > Upslug2 does not require any specific extension. You give it an 8MB
      > nslu2 firmware binary image file.
      >
      > -- Rod

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic