7608Re: [nslu2-general] Getting upslug to upgrade firmware

  • Rod Whitby
    Oct 30, 2008
      Santosh Sam Koshy wrote:
      > Dear All,
      >
      > On web upgrade of my slug with a firmware that I downloaded from the
      > linksys site, the system crashed and thereafter, I have been unable to
      > detect it from the linksys software as well as from the web access.

      Yes, the Linksys web UI upgrade option is flakey - that's why we only
      recommend using the hardware reset button upgrade mode and upslug2.

      > I downloaded a telnet utility to probe into redboot just after it
      > boots. This utlity gives me a redboot prompt and allows me to throw
      > the slug into an upgrade mode.

      OK, you could possibly have saved the trouble by using the hardware
      reset button method.

      > To upgrade thereafter, I am using the upslug2 tool from my host PC.
      > The problem that I face is that the upslug program returns a bad
      > signature error. This has caused me incapable of upgrading the
      > firmware. The firmware ends with a .bin extension. and upslug uses a
      > .img extension.

      Upslug2 does not require any specific extension. You give it an 8MB
      nslu2 firmware binary image file.

      -- Rod
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic