7576Re: Welland Greenstar HDD spindown problem

  • tjrundy
    Oct 2, 2008
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "tjrundy" <tjrundy@...> wrote:

      > > If this is, in fact, Unslung, it's pretty unlikely that you'll get
      > this
      > > to work the way you want it. The fundamental problem is that the
      > > mechanism that handles this is proprietary Linksys code.
      > >
      > > For SlugOS (and other distros like Debian) it should just work --
      > udev
      > > should take care of the situation, and if you are mounting by UUID
      > or
      > > label, it doesn't matter if it gets a new /dev node.
      > >
      > > Mike (mwester)

      Further to Mike's suggestion, I spent a couple of hours last night
      trying to get the UUID of the disk (which was only 8 chars long as
      it's VFAT formatted), and then trying to mount it by the UUID, or the
      label. Neither worked, and I noticed that much of the web-material
      about this was referenced to the Debian dist...

      I'm thinking that perhaps Debian might be a better bet?

      However before I start all over again, can anyone confirm whether UUID
      support only works for ext2/3 and if it's supported under VFAT how I
      would get a 'proper' UUID string?

      Thanks again guys,

      Tom.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic